Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
General Update: Clemson alumna wins NBC Show
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

General Update: Clemson alumna wins NBC Show

Mar 19, 2013, 8:51 AM

Clemson alumna wins NBC Show

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: General Update: Clemson alumna wins NBC Show

Mar 19, 2013, 8:53 AM

Good for her and best of luck following that life style change when the trainers arent there. The next few months will be tough on her but she can do it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

She was my sister's roommate for 3 Years

Mar 19, 2013, 9:08 AM

Absolutely awesome girl, really couldn't be a nicer person and it is great to see her succeed like that! Congrats Danni!

That, and now she looks like a Clemson girl should!***

Mar 19, 2013, 2:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I'm proud of her!

Mar 19, 2013, 9:10 AM

Watched her all season. She had a difficult time. At one point she was the only one left on her team. But she proved that Clemson Tigers have heart, discipline and muscle.

Congratulations to her - great job!***

Mar 19, 2013, 9:38 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Biggest Loser

Mar 19, 2013, 9:40 AM

Part of the problem with society is that we reward those who allow themselves to get overweight in the first place by putting them on a show and saying how wonderful they are. Maybe we should tell them to stop visiting the drive thru so often.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Biggest Loser

Mar 19, 2013, 9:51 AM

See I can kind of understand where you're coming from, except I think people without any intelligence (idiots, morons, buffoons, simpletons, etc) should not be allowed to speak (or type on the internet). My humanity gets the better of me, so I hope for the best.

So, you get to speak (type) your idiotic drivel. Congrats!

i'm happy you could set aside your humanity for a moment.***

Mar 19, 2013, 9:54 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i'm happy you could set aside your humanity for a moment.***

Mar 19, 2013, 10:56 AM

Eh, it ebbs.

....I wonder if I even have any humanity....

:-).***

Mar 19, 2013, 10:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Personally

Mar 19, 2013, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Biggest Loser ]

I hate how they exploit the 'contestants' of the show for ratings and money. Every doctor and health scientist in the country will tell you that the maximum healthy weight loss rate is around 1-2 lbs a week. Losing weight quicker than that dramatically increases your chances of injury or illness, as well as significantly reducing the chance of keeping the weight off. Any licensed personal trainer would know this as well; heck, anyone with internet access and fingers can spend 3 minutes on google to confirm it. The producers and the trainers on the show don't care anything about these people if they allow them to lose weight that quickly.

TL;DR, shame on them for forcing unhealthy weight loss to make money

I had no idea they forced people to appear on that show.

Mar 19, 2013, 10:38 AM

That's horrible!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they're insidious...

Mar 19, 2013, 10:45 AM

i hear the bait the traps with cupcakes.

That would work on me, definitely.***

Mar 19, 2013, 10:49 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dood, who needs a gun when chocolate's on the line?***

Mar 19, 2013, 10:50 AM

Ha, what I meant by that was that in order to 'win' the show

Mar 19, 2013, 10:55 AM [ in reply to I had no idea they forced people to appear on that show. ]

the contestants are forced to lose weight at an extremely unhealthy rate. I did not mean that they literally forced them out of their homes and into competition. Similar to how you might say something like, "defensive coordinators in todays game are forced to expand the way they attack at the line of scrimmage due to the increasing popularity of spread offenses."

But you probably already knew that's what I meant.

1-2lbs per week is for a typical person. For those who are

Mar 19, 2013, 10:57 AM

extremely obese, they can lose a lot of weight quickly and in a healthy manner.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

i'm extremely happy for her, not only did she lose 121lbs...

Mar 19, 2013, 11:00 AM

but lbu stopped calling too.

;)

That's absolutely incorrect.

Mar 19, 2013, 11:03 AM [ in reply to 1-2lbs per week is for a typical person. For those who are ]

Obese people are at an even higher risk of complications due to extreme weight loss. Specifically, gallstones, coronary events, malnutrition, and long term kidney problems.

If a person is obese, and they go on a healthy diet and add

Mar 19, 2013, 11:16 AM

in a healthy amount of exercise, they will lose more than 2 pounds per week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Doctors recommend easing into a 'healthy diet' and exercise

Mar 19, 2013, 11:22 AM

regimen. I don't see how you can possibly argue this when it's all over pubmed/medical journals.

+1 because I didn't say anything that is contrary to what

Mar 19, 2013, 11:30 AM

you just said.

"Easing into" means mapping out your net weekly calorie loss

Mar 19, 2013, 11:34 AM

so that you only lose 1-2 lbs per week. If you don't, then yes, you're going to lose more than 2 lbs per week. The point is, that's unhealthy.

Ugh, in my opinion, you are overgeneralizing. Yes, 1-2lbs

Mar 19, 2013, 11:48 AM

is a rule of thumb. But it has to do more with body fat and % of weight. Generally people can lose 1%-2% of their body weight. For most people this is 1-2 lbs. People can also lose more than that on a healthy level, especially with water weight. Amount of sleep has a lot to do with it too.

Let's agree to disagree and just move on

Sounds good. To hell with Georgia***

Mar 19, 2013, 12:00 PM

don't buy into gwp's kumbaya crap...

Mar 19, 2013, 12:03 PM

put your foot on his throat.

;)

^^^the true biggest loser***

Mar 19, 2013, 12:34 PM

^^^ da truth, xwife took half of everything...

Mar 19, 2013, 12:57 PM

including the first 12" of pennor.

I bet you're fun at parties***

Mar 19, 2013, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Personally ]

lbu tmailing as we type...***

Mar 19, 2013, 10:54 AM

^^^Misspelled "tmale-ing"***

Mar 19, 2013, 10:55 AM

rumor has it some dood goes by the clone has some picks...

Mar 19, 2013, 11:08 AM

if those are t-males, i stand corrected.

Yeah, nobody keeps the weight off after the show

Mar 19, 2013, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Personally ]

Read an article following up on a bunch of the contestants, most put a large portion or all of the weight back on within a year or so. Pretty sad stuff. Use them, then lose them.

You're talking about a small fraction. I personally know

Mar 19, 2013, 2:24 PM

someone that was on the show and she's kept her weight off.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The vast VAST VAST majority get fat again***

Mar 20, 2013, 11:52 AM

The show makes you think it is a weekly weigh in, but it

Mar 19, 2013, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Personally ]

is really bi-weekly, sometimes once every three weeks.

Also, when you're that heavy, "the maximum healthy weight loss rate is around 1-2 lbs a week" does not apply.

considering these contestants are in a closed environment

Mar 19, 2013, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Personally ]

i.e. they work out 6 hours a day with trainers (not just Jillian, Bob, and Dolvett) that can monitor them, they have healthy food that is pretty much their only option, no work/kids/etc.

I don't think they are suggesting that this is typical for the average person. it's a show. The trainers ARE changing these people's lives, who often end up paying it forward and/or inspiring others. If some one is dumb enough to expect to lose 8 pounds a week fairly easily, then this show isn't the problem.

I think that this is great! Now she won't be cheating over

Mar 19, 2013, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Biggest Loser ]

into my seat next to her in Death Valley! I don't know about you, but my row in DV could collectively stand to lose about 400 lbs.

same here...***

Mar 19, 2013, 2:27 PM

Congratulations, You are now the Biggest Loser!!***

Mar 20, 2013, 12:06 AM [ in reply to Biggest Loser ]

Hm, yes, reward people for changing bad behaviors

Mar 20, 2013, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Biggest Loser ]

and ending bad habits. Yes, that sounds like a -terrible- idea.

my goodness this place is a mess....girls wins a contest

Mar 19, 2013, 11:03 AM

changes her life and we turn it into an argument of exploitation...wow....bet you guys have fun at parties... :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry, didn't mean to downer the place up, just a pet peeve***

Mar 19, 2013, 11:06 AM

For the record, they are exploiting her

Mar 19, 2013, 11:24 AM [ in reply to my goodness this place is a mess....girls wins a contest ]

That doesn't change that she worked hard and at least temporarily accomplished something very impressive.

But let's not give The Biggest Loser the credit in saying they do this for the goodwill of fellow humans, because they didn't. If that were the case, Danielle and the other Losers would continue to get some kind of help after the show finishes.

I agree 100%***

Mar 19, 2013, 11:27 AM

well considering it takes $$ to do things

Mar 19, 2013, 2:20 PM [ in reply to For the record, they are exploiting her ]

it's actually better to help many people (this was season 14 I think) than the same 12 people every year...

Weigh loss depends on the person

Mar 19, 2013, 12:06 PM

And to say more than 2lb is unhealthy is a generalization. I just finished doing Insanity. At the height of it I lost 5lbs a week . I'm healthier now than I've been since I was 21yrs old and I am 46 now. 2lbs may be a good standard and goal to have but in no way is unhealthy to lose more. My sister has done he same , my wife has as well. So we should all quit when that 2 lbs comes off cause the weeks not up yet and I can't lose any more . I exercised and never went hungry and still ate some sweets here and there !!! Doesn't matter who said it, it is a ridiculous assumption based on a generic number!! I could've lost two pound alone by quitting soda's and NO exercise!!! Tell those doctors to come see me and we'll talk about healthy weight loss!!! Love to prove stupid people wrong !!! Lastly, whoever said his needs to diet themselves probably an just don't wanna do the work and discipline it takes so they make lame excuses why they can only lose 1 lb every 3 weeks only to put it all back on in one crazy weekend!!!

Actually, I'm in great shape.

Mar 19, 2013, 12:15 PM

Just ran an off-road marathon last month, my resting heart rate is in the upper 40s, and I put in about 10 hours a week in/out of the gym on my fitness, have been for years. But I'm 25 and unmarried, so I understand it's easy for me to do that. I made the comment originally because I'm a licensed personal trainer on the side and it sickens me to see how this TV show exploits these contestants, but I can understand how someone who calls doctors 'stupid' might not get that.

The 2-3 lbs a week is a good guideline

Mar 19, 2013, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Weigh loss depends on the person ]

I participated in then coached on the rowing team, and saw this in practice pretty frequently. We had to do a lot of work with our lightweight class men and women to help them get where they need to be while staying healthy. Keep in mind that competitive rowing is one of the most strenuous sports there is (aside from cross-country skiing), so this is an excellent sport for faster weight loss.

It's possible to lose more than 2-3lbs a week, and for some it's just fine. For others, more than 2-3 and you're asking for trouble. This shows up as less power, endurance, and a weaker immune system in some cases (over-training, insufficient nutrition).

A more gradual loss is often more sustainable long term. You lose less muscle mass, and you're likely to be stronger, less sickly, and more energetic than your more-rapidly-trimming friends. You also avoid over-training and the burnout that it brings.

What is wrong with some of you?

Mar 19, 2013, 4:27 PM

People who are ridiculing Danni are absolutely ridiculous. You don't even know her. At least these people who became overweight sought to do something about it unlike most Americans who sit back and shovel in more burgers. To say that the show exploits them is stupud... the point is to lose the highest % weight. They do not make anyone come on the show, and they may quit if they wish (although the trainers will obviously encourage them not to). Its sad that some people consider people on The Biggest Loser less acceptable than Honey Boo Boo or Jersey Shore.

The contestants on this show are at least trying to better themselves instead of these reality shows where they profit off their laziness or attitude issues.

I for one am extremely proud of Danni. Seeing her at the end of the show compared to last time I saw her (August I think) is incredible.

Before=NO; After=Absolutely

Mar 19, 2013, 4:59 PM

Nice work ma'am.

Carolina Fan told me "Congrats on Clemson Winning Something"***

Mar 20, 2013, 10:46 AM

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic