Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I’m in NJ for business, and people up here are clueless about Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

I’m in NJ for business, and people up here are clueless about Clemson

Nov 13, 2019, 9:23 PM

Football.

People in the office follow the Eagles (NFL), but they generally know nothing about what is going on in Clemson football. They didn’t even know that Clemson actually won the national championship. I truly believe we get overlooked because the rest of the nation is just uninformed about lil ole Clemson. They don’t know what we know.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m in NJ for business, and people up here are clueless about Clemson

Nov 13, 2019, 9:26 PM

College football doesn't matter in New Jersey. Would be like talking college hockey in South Carolina.

Nov 13, 2019, 9:29 PM

Very true

Nov 13, 2019, 9:53 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m in NJ for business, and people up here are clueless about Clemson ]

Absolutely, and it is like that!!! I don't know a thing about Hockey, and I wouldn't care if another Hockey Puck or Hockey Stick was ever made again, and they could burn what has been made, and I wouldn't care!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 10:32 PM

But how do you really feel about hockey?

Nov 14, 2019, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Re: I’m in NJ for business, and people up here are clueless about Clemson ]

I sure didn't have an idea that some idiot here on T-Net would TD a post bc of the way some people feel about another sport. You have to know that someone that does idiotic bull chit like that, they have such a low self esteem of themselves, that their own family thinks they're a P O S!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Colleges play hockey? Inconceivable!

Nov 14, 2019, 8:08 AM [ in reply to Re: I’m in NJ for business, and people up here are clueless about Clemson ]

:)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Re: I’m in NJ for business, and people up here are clueless about Clemson ]

You don’t talk college hockey in South Carolina? Say it ain’t so

Nov 14, 2019, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: I’m in NJ for business, and people up here are clueless about Clemson ]

That is very true. I have family that live up there and they were perplexed to say the least when I said I don’t pull for a NFL team like I do for Clemson football. They just gave me this look like they couldn’t understand why. And all they could say was, “well, we have Rutgers football up here, but nobody really cares what they do.” But the whole concept of college football was almost foreign to them.

Nov 13, 2019, 9:29 PM

theres an old line no one wants to live in NJ but someone has to.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

On a similar Note

Nov 13, 2019, 9:32 PM

I just can’t get along with people who know nothing about geography.

I was in Iowa for work last weekend and a co-worker asked me where I was from. I said South Carolina and his first question was “how close is that to Indiana?” And I was like “um not that close”. And he then had to look it up on the map and of course didn’t know anything about Clemson.

Re: On a similar Note

Nov 13, 2019, 9:35 PM

Yes, and for whatever reason they always think we live in the dang Bahamas. They always ask about the hot year round weather we have. I’m like, no it’s cold there too right now. Literally like the same.

I’m amazed by the people who think the south is hot year round.

Nov 13, 2019, 9:46 PM

Maybe they think everywhere is like Florida, but they seem surprised when I tell them that we have four distinct seasons, and that it gets cold in the winter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

people in the south think the same of northerners

Nov 13, 2019, 10:29 PM

They will say things like "never felt heat like this huh?" when it gets to 90 in summer. But it gets hot in the north to.

The day I moved to Fargo, it was August and got up to 98 that day.

Re: people in the south think the same of northerners

Nov 13, 2019, 10:52 PM

Completely true. I live in MN and it can get hot and humid like SC for a couple of weeks in mid to late July. But it is freaking bloody hot in Columbia.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 11:37 AM

I know that the heat in the south is very humid and that makes dealing with just 85° heat tough. But if you think that it's hot in cootlumbia, even with the heat in Phoenix being a dry heat, but when it gets up as high as 115-118 degrees there in Phoenix, it is the hottest place I've ever live, and it's the most uncomfortable heat I've ever experienced in my life. They have to have sand trucks putting sand on the asphalt roads everyday during the summer to keep the asphalt from sticking to the tires and carrying it away. Even with the sand on the asphalt roads, your tires sound like they are rolling on wet pavement. And the heat feels like it's burning your throat when it gets that hot, and being outdoors for 6-8 weeks during the summer is absolutely miserable. Tubing down salt river is a big thing around Phoenix bc the water is cold, but for 6-8 weeks that isn't any fun bc it is so hot, and no one works outside during the day for those couple of months, everything is done at night, and I do mean everything that is done on the outside. Phoenix is a great place to live I thought with the exception of those couple of months. Other than that, I loved Phoenix....

And you better not put your vehicle windows up tight, bc if you do, your windshield will get blown out on your hood after about 30 minutes, you see that everyday during the summer in Phoenix!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

Nov 14, 2019, 7:29 AM [ in reply to people in the south think the same of northerners ]

that humittitty tho

Nov 14, 2019, 10:57 AM [ in reply to people in the south think the same of northerners ]

Absolutely, and 90° heat up north really feels hot to them bc of such cold temps they have all winter!!! I couldn't imagine having to own a snow shovel just to drive to work in the morning a dozen or so times a winter!!! Cold weather down to 40° just in the early morning is like torture to me. For us in the south, once our feet get cold, we're cold all over until we can thaw our feet out as we say!!!

Nov 13, 2019, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Re: On a similar Note ]

Our cold is really cold bc it is a wet cold!!!

Nov 13, 2019, 10:28 PM

Is that the opposite of dry heat?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 7:23 AM

You could say I guess, or dry heat is the opposite of high humidity heat!!! ;)

Nov 14, 2019, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Re: On a similar Note ]

I think you work with nerds or the dumbest people on earth. Not buying people in NJ don’t follow college football just a little. One more thing why would they follow the eagles and not the jets ?

Nov 13, 2019, 9:45 PM [ in reply to On a similar Note ]

Another funny one I get - I consider myself from Powdersville, but since no one outside of the upstate has ever heard of Pville, I usually just say Greenville. They either automatically assume NC, say they've never heard of it or ask me, "hey I bet you know xyz!"..

Like, yea lady - a city with 500k+ people that I haven't lived in for over 15 years.. of course I know them.

Nov 13, 2019, 9:49 PM

That’s why I always say I’m from Clemson now when out of town. It’s unique and has a much more likely chance of being understood over a random little city.

Nov 13, 2019, 9:52 PM

Ironically enough, people will often ask "Is that near Clemson" sometimes. Weird what some exposure will do. Our first trip to Phoenix for the Natty, none of the Uber drivers or bartenders knew who, what or where Clemson was. By this past January in California, they pretty much all knew.

Yes, I say Clemson instead of Anderson***

Nov 13, 2019, 10:01 PM [ in reply to Re: On a similar Note ]

Re: Yes, I say Clemson instead of Anderson***

Nov 13, 2019, 10:03 PM

Yea, I say Clemson over cootlumbia :)!!!

First off, I would've corrected their grammar for ending

Nov 14, 2019, 11:23 AM [ in reply to On a similar Note ]

their question with a preposition.

Then, I would ask, "Do you know where Myrtle Beach is located?" When they reply, "Yes, we know where that is," I reply with, "It's in South Carolina. And, you are one of the reasons we do not visit there."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Nov 13, 2019, 9:34 PM

If I lived in NJ...... that’s all I’ve got.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I went to New York City

Nov 13, 2019, 9:45 PM

In the summer of 2017 and wore Clemson shirts or ball cap everywhere I went. All the locals recognized the paw. Especially when I watched a game at old Yankee stadium.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Nov 13, 2019, 9:46 PM

Only with the folks that doesn't care much for college sports, bc if they did, they would know about Clemson, Dabo Swinney and his FB team, and I honestly believe that!!!

People in New Jersey are clueless and not just about Clemson

Nov 13, 2019, 9:51 PM

Football. That's why it's a crap hole.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL! They don’t call it the Dirty Jerz for nothing!***

Nov 13, 2019, 10:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Nov 13, 2019, 9:56 PM

I prefer to keep it that way, maybe they will quit moving down here.

Nov 13, 2019, 9:56 PM

I prefer to keep it that way, maybe they will quit moving down here.

In parts of NJ you can leave off "about Clemson"

Nov 13, 2019, 9:57 PM

Just sayn.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 9:57 PM

Actually we get a quite a lot of students from NJ compared to other states so someone knows about us. Our son lived up there for years and he spread the word so much that he had everyone around him cheering for the Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 9:58 PM

In 1986 a state came up with a popular new slogan that was on it's license plates. It was, "You've Got a Friend in Pennsylvania." Not to be outdone New Jersey countered with "You've Got a Friend in Pennsylvania. Go There."

That's pro sports land, bro.

Nov 13, 2019, 10:01 PM

They don't know chit about sports to start with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 10:02 PM

funny, I just got back from visiting my dad up there. Chatted with a guy at the airport who was on his way to see his Dad in Orlando. He would not shut up about what a great QB Lawrence is. But truth be told, all the local media talked about was Penn State losing. But there are plenty of College football fans up there.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 11:16 PM

You youngsters do not remember that in the late 60's and early 70's, Going to school at Clemson out of state was cheaper than schools in Jersey and other Northeast schools. Of course, I did not know much about Jersey so I had to ask. I found out that people tend to define whether they were from upper middle or lower Jersey. This was much like us identifying if we were from the Low country, Midlands, or Piedmont.

Nov 14, 2019, 7:31 AM

heck, it was that way for me in the 90s, and I guess I was from south Jersey.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 9:54 AM

When someone is from that part of the state isn't it south joyzee?

NY, NJ tuition

Nov 14, 2019, 8:10 AM [ in reply to Re: I’m in NJ for business, and people up here are clueless about Clemson ]

During my Clemson years (70s), the "out of state" tuition for Clemson was less than the "in state" for these areas. Loads of students from those two states back then (you know, before water was invented).
One of my NY friends used to say it took a couple of weeks to get the SOB out of him when he came to school... but only a couple of days to get it back when he went home.

Nov 14, 2019, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: I’m in NJ for business, and people up here are clueless about Clemson ]

I was in school then and Clemson and Usuc were both full of New Jersey students and they were "different".

Nov 14, 2019, 7:35 AM

A bunch of NJ people go to Clemson and are Clemson graduates.

Nov 14, 2019, 8:14 AM

I'm in NJ. I have a tiger paw on my car, and I run into other Clemson fans all the time.

Only Spray Tans and Skipping Leg Day Matter in Jersey

Nov 14, 2019, 9:55 AM

Bruh

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m in NJ for business, and people up here are clueless.

Nov 14, 2019, 9:55 AM

I fixed it for you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The New Jersey Eagles

Nov 14, 2019, 9:56 AM

Never heard of them. That proves they are idjits.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 10:00 AM

You could have stopped your post at clueless. ??

Nov 14, 2019, 10:40 AM

"I'm in NJ for business, and people up here are clueless about college football. "

Fixed it for you ??

Totally disagree - NJ born and lived here my entire life

Nov 14, 2019, 11:12 AM

Not now - decades ago maybe

I was born here and have lived my entire life in NJ

Lots of Clemson fans here

Agree that Giants and Jets take precedence but NJ loves football and all sports

GO TIGERS

GO GIANTS

J e t s Jets Jets Jets

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ditto Chicago

Nov 14, 2019, 11:34 AM

No Clemson fans, no college football fans that I can find.

Nov 14, 2019, 11:38 AM

Don't you think it would help if some schools, not in the sec and out of the South were included,
regularly, in the Natty?

Nov 14, 2019, 1:49 PM

Whoa. Let’s not get carried away here.

Nov 14, 2019, 11:52 AM

Exactly. My brother & family recently visited his in-laws in St Louis. I called him during a Saturday CU game & he said he & his son were watching the game on their phones. Everyone else was watching baseball. He talked about there being "no interest" in the town in anything but pro sports.

Nov 14, 2019, 2:12 PM

Nj is a dump...

Nov 14, 2019, 3:48 PM

Born and bred in the garden state. 2 of my kids graduated from Clemson. Besides North and South Carolina, N.J. now has the highest number of high school applicants to Clemson. My wife and i hosted accepted students(from New jersey) at our home for many years. We started in 2009 with maybe 15 high schoolers, and the numbers increased every year. After the Tigers won a few ACC football titles, my house got too small to host anymore. Parents that have high school children ask me about Clemson all the time. The school is more popular in the Northeast now than it has ever been.
My daughter teaches high school here in N.J. and she is constantly asked to write recommendation letters for her students applying to Clemson. We still make it down to the valley 2 or 3 times a year for football games. When his son was playing, we'd often run into Rex Ryan at GSP airport on Sunday night waiting for the same flight back to Newark Airport. He was the guy dressed head to toe in orange.

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic