Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
People forget so soon. Everybody is hollering about wasted scholarships
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

People forget so soon. Everybody is hollering about wasted scholarships

Jan 23, 2016, 3:20 AM

On whoever. "We need all 5 stars!" It would be nice to have all 5 star players. But that doesn't happen even to the mighty Nick Saban & Alabama. Don't forget Vic Beasley was a TE when he was recruited. Grady Jarret was 2-3 star player. Shaq Lawson was a 3-4* and didn't have a ton of offers. Adam Humphries wasn't even noticed til Dabo went to watch a basketball game for Peake. He was a 2* at best. Don't forget our main WR in the Nat'l Championship game was a WALK-ON and the back up punter. He took Alabama to school! Jalen Williams stepped in this year and played great when we were short due to injury. His only other offer was App State. Nobody looked at him. Gallman played RB in high school but was mainly a LB. he was thought of as "wasted scholarship" to get Nkimdiche. Doesn't he hold the record now above all RB's?Some services had DW as a 4* and he was picked 10th out of 11th in the Elite11. Where are those other QB's that were better? We've gotten this far without all 5 stars and we beat ourselves more than Bama beat us without all 5 stars and kids with 50 offers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Re: People forget so soon. Everybody is hollering about wasted scholarships

Jan 23, 2016, 7:43 AM

I agree 100%. A voice of reason is so refreshing. I think Dabo is proving to the naysayers he can recognize the players eventual star quality. That is a unique ability that a lot of coaches do not have. Results are proving this to be so. I can't wait to see next year's team play!

Jan 23, 2016, 8:36 AM

I Am so glad somebody FINALLY said something to those dastardly naysayers.

"me amigo, he's a hero...."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zjYSERaXEGI

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2016, 9:20 AM

No one is that unlearned to suggest we need all 5 stars it's obvious that this recruit is worthy of a Clemson offer. He'll be like the Davis twins.

Jan 23, 2016, 9:35 AM

Well, I would say we really don't know what the Davis twins will be yet. They are still young, some bloom later. This kid has a chance. Not the fastest on the team, but not slow either. He will have to play smart. One of the best Steelers of all time played Safety and ran a 4.8, but played great because of his football intelligence. (I forget wether it was Donnie Shell or Mel Blount, but one of those ran 4.8). Hard work, discipline and intelligence can make up for that .1 he gives up in 40 time.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who said, "We need all 5 stars"

Jan 23, 2016, 8:39 AM

that person would be as much of an idiot as the person that says no star recruits are equal to 4 and 5 star recruits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who said, "We need all 5 stars"

Jan 23, 2016, 9:11 AM

Don't let facts get in the way. He's on a roll. Just did some back of the envelope calculations. Since there are about eight 5 star players a year, if we get ALL of them every year, we should be able to field a team with backups at most positions. I say go for it.

Message was edited by: ClemTig®

Don't we pay our coaches a great deal of money to decide...

Jan 23, 2016, 9:17 AM

which players to sign?
I LOVE football, but our coaches know more about judging talent than I want to know.
Go Tigers!!

Re: Don't we pay our coaches a great deal of money to decide...

Jan 23, 2016, 9:21 AM

Our coaches are human. Even they miss on recruits.

Re: Don't we pay our coaches a great deal of money to decide...

Jan 23, 2016, 2:14 PM

So do recruiting websites.

Jan 23, 2016, 9:22 AM

Most of these discussions have revolved around a certain "no-star" player. On that note:

Nick Saban liked him enough to give him a preferred walk-on offer at Alabama. As an Alabama resident, he was eligible for in-state tuition at UA and possibly some sort of state/university scholarship program, making Alabama's package a lot sweeter than it might have appeared on the recruiting sites.

Dabo didn't want to use the scholarship if he didn't have to, but I think what it came down to was if we didn't offer, he goes to Alabama.

Looking at the highlight reel, he is fast and plays hard. Biggest drawback is that he's a bit skinny, but that can be cured with time and training. Not the top recruit we're getting, but far from a "waste" of a scholarship.

Jan 23, 2016, 10:43 AM

Fully support Dabo. The legacies and offers like the one to Nolan may be looked at differently when there's no DW4 on the field who completely changes a game and team. It does seem to be an inordinate amount of these scholarships or maybe we don't hear about this at other schools.

Jan 23, 2016, 10:56 AM

Our coaches have done a great job of signing 4 & 5 * players and developing talent. It takes both and legacy players (& coaches) build a loyalty that has results that can't be measured in stars. Seems like we are ahead. For every Bellamy if we have a Vic Beasley and Adam Humphries we will be OK. None of those stars mean a thing til they run down the hill and take the field.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2016, 12:40 PM

"Don't forget Vic Beasley was a TE when he was recruited."

He was consider an Athlete out of high school and played WR and OLB

"Shaq Lawson was a 3-4* and didn't have a ton of offers"

Shaq was a 4 star before and after prep school

"Jalen Williams stepped in this year and played great when we were short due to injury"

I wouldn't call blitzing off the edge vs Wake "great" Wonder why he didn't play much vs good teams when our LBs needed a breather

"Gallman he was thought of as "wasted scholarship" to get Nkimdiche."

I'm sure people complained 247 over getting a 4 star. I think the name you are looking for in this situation is David Kamara.

"DW as a 4* and he was picked 10th out of 11th in the Elite11"

Watson was rated as the number ONE dual threat QB in the country out of high school .

"We've gotten this far without all 5 stars and we beat ourselves more than Bama beat us without all 5 stars and kids with 50 offers."

I wonder why Bama uses stars on special teams while we don't ? Who caught the on sidekick ? 5 Star CB Marlon Humphrey. Stars matter whether you like it or not and saying they don't would be stupid . I hope I never see our bruiser CJ Fuller return kicks ever again .

Jan 23, 2016, 1:06 PM

"I wonder why Bama uses stars on special teams while we don't ? "

Says who?

I remember seeing Cordrea Tankersley, Jayron Kearse, and TJ Green on kick coverage. Kenyan Drake ran right around an absolutely exhausted Tank and Kearse.

For most of the season, our kick coverage has involved "have Ammon Lakip put the ball in the back of the endzone". As a result, I don't think it was as high of a priority as it needed to be.

On the onside kick, who was supposed to be covering that corner? Trevion Thompson. Thompson is a big WR and 4-star recruit. That's the exact kind of player who should be in that position. Not sure if his positioning was poor coaching or a freshman mistake or both, but it wasn't lack of talent.

Who was returning kicks? Artavis Scott—who was one player away from breaking one himself. (Still set up a short-field TD drive, though.)

Jan 23, 2016, 1:31 PM

"Says who?"

The Davis twins say Hi.

"Kenyan Drake ran right around an absolutely exhausted Tank and Kearse"

Now you understand how important QUALITY depth is not just filler players.

"For most of the season, our kick coverage has involved "have Ammon Lakip put the ball in the back of the endzone". "

Ammon Lakip 73 kickoffs only 28 touchbacks 59.25 yards Avg

Bradley Pinion 74 kickoffs 36 touchbacks 61.96 yards Avg

"Who was returning kicks?"

Artavis Scott returned 15 kicks

C.J. Fuller returned 14 kicks

Punt return

2015 27 ret 63 yards 2.33 avg

2014 35 ret 199 yards 5.69 avg

Punting

2015 67 punts 2647 yards 39.51 avg

2014 76 punts 3237 yards 42.59 avg

Jan 23, 2016, 1:56 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 23, 2016, 2:02 PM

"Country Gentleman"

Nothing to add shocking

Jan 23, 2016, 1:40 PM

Actually, I see far more people "hollering" in defense of the scholarship offer than the few against it. It has been hashed and rehashed to death. Believe in Sweeny is one side, sign the best players is the other. We all are quite versed on it by now.

Jan 23, 2016, 10:31 PM

Five stars are a two edged sword. They are good while they are here, but they are definitely leaving early for the NFL.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic