Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pellett Grills
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 355

Pellett Grills

Jan 29, 2017, 2:54 PM

Have you ever had or used one. What kind? Likes and dislikes. Am considering one but don't know much about them.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Owned one for over 7 years

Jan 29, 2017, 3:16 PM

got my UDP version at Costco (Traeger) and it does the job. Would love to own a Mak 2 star or a Yoder 680.

Have you looked at amazingribs.com or pelletheads.com? Lots of info on those sites.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bought a Green Mountain Grill pellet grill...

Jan 29, 2017, 3:38 PM

last year.

Really like it. Makes smoking things way too easy and is a pretty good grill too (maxes out at 500F).

I got the Daniel Boone Stainless wi-fi. Plenty big enough for normal home use/entertaining. Gets to temp quickly and changes temp quickly. Hopper is plenty big for an all-day slow-cook.

The wi-fi is one of those things that sounds over the top, but is useful as ####. It ties in with an app on your phone and let's you monitor grill and food temp, change grill temp setting, alarms for low pellets, and allows you to set-up cooking profiles...like cook on 400 until food temp is X and then lower to 240 until food temp is Y and then lower to 150 until turned off, etc...

Comes in really handy if you use a crutch for cooking brisket, as it will alarm when your food reaches say 150F which tells you when to crutch the meat.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

crutch the meat

Jan 30, 2017, 9:32 AM

What's that? haven't heard that term, but never cooked a brisket either.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When smoking a brisket, the cooking process can stall...

Jan 30, 2017, 9:48 AM

based on condensation on the outside of the meat or some sheet.

Normally occurs between 140-150F internal temp. So the meat will sit at that temp for 1-2 hours before the internal temp starts going up again.

I think the full term is Texas Crutch, but basically when the meat starts to stall, you wrap it tightly in aluminum foil (I think some folks use un-waxed butcher paper) and that helps the alleviate the temp stall so the meat will cook more quickly. In my limited experience, you have to wrap it very tight to keep from forming pockets where the liquids can leak out to and cause the meat to have the texture more like pot roast.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ah. thanks

Jan 30, 2017, 9:55 AM

and thanks for not telling me to go google myself.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The one thing I would suggest in looking at pellet grills is

Jan 29, 2017, 3:52 PM

to go with the .25 caliber over the .22 or .177 caliber.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i'm ole scool with my stick burner but have used a

Jan 29, 2017, 9:49 PM

green mountain pellet smoker. pretty much a set and forget like the cabinet charcoal kind and put a little more smoke on the meat than the pure charcoal smokers but not like the stick burners

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 355
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic