Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pellet Smoker Advice
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Pellet Smoker Advice

Nov 8, 2019, 10:24 AM

Got some money to spend and I want a pellet smoker.
Need advice. 19B®, others? Is there a better choice than this one. This one is on the upper end of my price range, but still affordable.

https://www.amazon.com/Traeger-Grills-TFB57GZEO-Smoker-Bronze/dp/B07T2FWL8Q/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=traeger+pro+series&qid=1573223273&refinements=p_89%3ATraeger&rnid=3238155011&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-10

In before FBCOACH shares his setup:

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Re: Pellet Smoker Advice

Nov 8, 2019, 10:26 AM

Take pellet idea, trash it. Be a man, get Kamado, use charcoal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I already have a Weber Onetouch gold charcoal grill

Nov 8, 2019, 10:30 AM

that I have used for smoking in the past. It works alright, but I'm too lazy/busy to screw around with it. I know this about myself.

I also have a decent budget infrared gas grill for grilling type stuff.

I used to have a cheap refrigerator style electric smoker that I used A LOT until it broke and shocked the crap out of me.

I get that "charcoal is better" or more manly, or whatever, but if it isn't getting used, then its worthless. I will use a pellet grill.

Unless a pellet grill is garbage, but I work with a few guys that have them and they rave about them non-stop.

I know the same guys who rave about the pellet smokers

Nov 8, 2019, 10:36 AM

There may be exceptions, but most of them aren't the grilling out type. They just jumped into the smoking game by buying a Traeger or similar. So with all due respect to them, they're analagous to the guys who don't really like music but tell you how great the new Zac Brown album is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I know the same guys who rave about the pellet smokers

Nov 8, 2019, 10:45 AM

I started smoking on a 22.5" Weber kettle grill in college and enjoyed it.

Then I got one of those red electric barrel smokers and used it until it rusted through. It was a bit of a PITA thought, because the temp wasn't adjustable. I adjusted the temperature by adding lengths of extension cord to reduce voltage. Hilarious, but true.

Then I had one of those refrigerator looking electric smokers that Sarahadidas bought me. I used that a ton also, until it nearly kilt me. I took it apart and the electronics were toast. Not worth fixing.

Then I started smoking occasionally on my gas grill with some pellets in a little maze shaped basket. That sorta sucked though, so I gave up.

Then I made a huge cinderblock pit to cook bbq for a huge party and nearly burnt down my whole estate. Ended up buying bbq at a local joint and serving it instead.

That's the type of smoker/bbq guy I am... not looking to start a competition team or anything (not that theres anything wrong with that)

Re-reading, I sound like I’m judging. I’m not

Nov 8, 2019, 11:11 AM

First post about “be a man” was a joke.

After that I was mainly trying to see that most people I know who use them and swear by them have no point of reference because they just never tried a charcoal Kamado.

It sounds like you’re the opposite and have tried and just want the convenience. I’d say go for it. It’s not like they’re shitttty and don’t work, they do.

Re: Re-reading, I sound like I’m judging. I’m not

Nov 8, 2019, 11:15 AM

lulz..reduced the voltage...raised the resistance

Nov 8, 2019, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Re: I know the same guys who rave about the pellet smokers ]

started a fire. You could have smoked something over THAT fire.

Mmm..tastes like..burnt plastic and carcinogens

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't say it was smart.... but it worked.

Nov 8, 2019, 2:08 PM

I'm not an electrician, but I know enough to get myself in trouble.

I don't like music but I can tell you the new Zach Brown

Nov 8, 2019, 10:46 AM [ in reply to I know the same guys who rave about the pellet smokers ]

album sucks. I don't know if he even has one, but I do know it sucks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pellet Smoker Advice ...THIS ??

Nov 8, 2019, 10:28 AM

Re: Pellet Smoker Advice ...THIS ??

Nov 8, 2019, 10:31 AM

That's a thought.

I have access to an unlimited supply of empty 55 gallon barrels and the ability to weld.

I just am trying to de-whitetrashify my yard.

I have a Traeger and it works fine

Nov 8, 2019, 1:47 PM

looks like they might have a better unit than when I bought mine from Costco about 6/7 years ago

You want to have a good controller, and the one in mine is an old style unit.

amazingribs.com has good reviews.

I am going to get a Yoder or a Memphis but spend about twice what you are budgeting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pellet Smoker Advice

I have a Camp Chef DLX that i absolutely love. It's on the lower end cost wise, but the fit and finish is good. I've had no issues with it in the 3 years i'v had it and i use it 3-4 times a week. The only thing i've had to do was replace the meat temp probe twice (literally just 3.5mm plug or whatever) and keep it clean.

Camp-chef, Rec Tec, Grilla Grills are a few off the top of my head in the price range that i think your in.

I don't own a Treager, i have one friend who does, but they are notoriously bad on temp control and customer service. They were the original brand, so they're name used to be sort of synonymous with "pellet grill". But not anymore.

And yes, all the stick burner and charcoal guys like to #### on pellet grills. But i give exactly zero ##### because i can turn a knob, flip a switch and have beautiful 200 degree smoke coming out of the chimney in about 20 minutes.

Read up on them and you should have plenty of options. The main things to look for are controller quality and customer service. Then everything else is preference (material, painted, cabinets, accessories, etc).

10-4. Thanks.

Nov 8, 2019, 10:48 AM

It looks like the latest iteration of the Traegers have a much improved temp controller PID thingy.

Not certain about the customer service though.

Good advice.

Re: 10-4. Thanks.

Nov 8, 2019, 10:58 AM

If they've upgraded the controller then it would be as good as any of the others, some probably superior. Everything else about my buddies Traeger is as good or better than mine.

I had to replace the auger motor in mine and they

Nov 8, 2019, 11:25 AM [ in reply to 10-4. Thanks. ]

helped a lot. No issues.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't have a pellet smoker, so I'm not a ton of help, but

from what I gather, it's the lazy man's smoker apparatus. You set it at a temp and then go get a good night's sleep, which sounds pretty unmanly when you think it through. I set my alarm every 90 minutes to 2 hours to get up and add charcoal and wood in between catnaps, because that's what men do.

Tonight, however...it's getting down to 40 or so in James Island, from around 4-7am, so catnapping will be interesting. The more likely scenario is we drink all night, and I'll stagger on stage around 3pm tomorrow to collect my trophy and oversized cheque. Or maybe they just bring them over to my tent if I'm passed out. Anybody been to Smoky Oak Taproom? The good news is, they're open til 2am, so we'll have warmth until then.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't have a pellet smoker, so I'm not a ton of help, but

Nov 8, 2019, 11:06 AM

It is absolutely the easy way out. I'm ok with that. I started with Charcoal and stick burners and love that as well. For some cooks i still prefer that.

But to be able to use it 3-4 times a week for an hour to smoke a steak or pork chop or whatever. AND be able to flip a switch for it to shut itself down and be able to walk inside and eat immediately. I'll take easy any day.

I'll fire it up just to smoke japs, tomatoes and onions for 30 minutes to make salsa. I smoked all the veg a couple weekends ago to make vegetable stock. It turned out awesome. No way i'd go through all that trouble on a charcoal or stick burner.

I get the appeal, and I wouldn't mind having one, since

Nov 8, 2019, 11:08 AM

cheating has always been part of my repertoire anyway. So, I feel like the Jounge should pool money and purchase one for me. I can start a gofundme if that would help.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Friend of mine has a REC TEC 590 and swears by it.

Nov 8, 2019, 10:46 AM

https://www.rectecgrills.com/grills

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please do this with it

Nov 8, 2019, 10:47 AM

Cook all this #### at the same time. I'm sure it would be the allsome.

BTW, where is he even gonna put that well done steak at? There's no room. What a doof.

His peepee is going to stink if he eats all of that asparagu***

Nov 8, 2019, 10:48 AM

Re: Please do this with it

Nov 8, 2019, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Please do this with it ]

This is the "Traeger Shot" on every episode of Gameday. All this stuff on a smoker that's not even smoking. You can tell they cooked it elsewhere and just piled it on the Traeger.

########, they definitely smoked that pizza***

Nov 8, 2019, 11:10 AM

You laugh but i have done pizza on my pellet grill

Nov 8, 2019, 11:15 AM

When you crank it up to 500 or so it doesn't even really smoke any more.

Didn't Kramer warm his clothes in a Traeger grill?

Nov 8, 2019, 11:17 AM

Wouldn't it just burn the #### out of it though at that temp***

Nov 8, 2019, 11:39 AM [ in reply to You laugh but i have done pizza on my pellet grill ]

Re: Wouldn't it just burn the #### out of it though at that temp***

Nov 8, 2019, 11:43 AM

its on a peetser stone and it only cooks for like 10 minutes total.

The dedicated pellet/wood pizza ovens such as an Uni get to 700-800 degrees i believe.

As my Traeger has gotten older, the top temp keeps

Nov 8, 2019, 11:54 AM

coming down. I can't get it above 350 - but I have sure gotten my $$$ out of that thing. It still works great smoking - did a couple of butts on it a few weeks ago.

or I might just try a new controller...

Nov 8, 2019, 11:56 AM

https://www.savannahstoker.com/products/savannah-stoker-pellet-grill-control-system

Nice, i never thought to consider an aftermarket controller

Nov 8, 2019, 12:20 PM

I assumed these things would all be "original equipment" compatible only.

pellet smokers are like printers, the cost is in the pellets

Nov 8, 2019, 11:57 AM

and food grade pellets are $$$$$. btw, real men smoke on wood or charcoal.

Here's another crazy idea:

Nov 8, 2019, 11:59 AM

I'm fairly handy with fabrication and iron work.

I have an old HEAVY steel fireplace insert (made from 1/4" plate, I believe) laying around behind one of my barns.

I may look into rigging that beast up with a PID controller and pellet box.... I could brick that beesh in on the porch and have a nice little centerpiece...

Re: Here's another crazy idea:

Nov 8, 2019, 12:24 PM

You could do it. You'd still need the auger, fire box, igniter etc, but i'm sure it couldn't be too bad.

If you're going that direction, i would just watch Craigslist (i know this will be out of your wheelhouse)/ FB marketplace, etc and buy a used one for all the guts. Depending on what you get it for it might get some of the mechanical parts on the cheap.

Let me know how the first cooking goes

Nov 8, 2019, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Here's another crazy idea: ]

I love my CookShack getting ready to put some chicken legs

Nov 8, 2019, 1:05 PM

on here in a little while.

I have a UDS (that made myself including hand forging all the hardware so I figure my man card is safe) that I use for serious cooks when I have the time but I get a lot more use out of the pellet and it has the advantage of getting hot enough to do steaks and burgers and pizzas.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

traegers are the crossbows of smoking

Nov 8, 2019, 2:52 PM

if your balls aren't hanging low enough to pull the bow string back, just use a .308 or 7 mag. (aka get a gas grill)

only people I know that use a pellet grill is my FIL. He's 64.

You should get a Lang:
https://www.langbbqsmokers.com/

In all srs - get a BGE or Kamado if you're LDR. If you're UDP like me, get an offset (Oklahoma Joe ftw)

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic