Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Wide Receiver: Depth chart will be a matter of scrutiny heading into spring
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

New Story: Wide Receiver: Depth chart will be a matter of scrutiny heading into spring

Feb 25, 2016, 2:59 PM

Wide Receiver: Depth chart will be a matter of scrutiny heading into spring

Mike Williams will be back after missing most of last season and Artavis Scott is back for his junior season, but a starting spot is up for grabs. Who will take it? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't recall Scott playing the 5 spot or Renfrow the 2***

Feb 25, 2016, 3:08 PM

Re: Don't recall Scott playing the 5 spot or Renfrow the 2***

Feb 25, 2016, 3:24 PM

Wonder if he flipped his position chart:

I remember seeing peake up in the 2 quite a bit, not the 9....and Artavis down in the 9.

Yeah and Sammy played mostly at the 2. Martavis was the 9

Feb 25, 2016, 4:21 PM

in their final year at Clemson.

Peake was at the 9 full time. Scott at 2 Cain/Renfrow at 5

Feb 25, 2016, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't recall Scott playing the 5 spot or Renfrow the 2*** ]

I think Cain began playing the 9 as well at times as Renfrow and Hopper handled the 5 spot

Feb 25, 2016, 6:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't recall Scott playing the 5 spot or Renfrow the 2*** ]

Williams is not even playing in the spring, last time I heard. Has that changed??

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2016, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Don't recall Scott playing the 5 spot or Renfrow the 2*** ]

Don't recall that either.

Don't see Cain beating out Renfrow in the slot either. Actually I disagree with the notion that Cain is "more talented" than Renfrow...Cain might be faster in a straight line, but otherwise Renfrow is superior in almost every aspect, from hands, to concentration, to body control, and particularly, to route-running. I've never seen a guy at Clemson run routes as well as Renfrow with the possible exception of Curtis Baham or even Tony Elliott himself back in the day...and apologies to those guys, neither was remotely the athlete Renfrow is. Renfrow ate former 5-star Minkah Fitzpatrick alive in the national title game, caught 7 balls for 88 yards and 2 TD's and multiple PI calls - including a couple more that should have been called - and it wasn't a fluke or "overachieving", he was just plain a better player and Fitzpatrick couldn't handle him.

Renfrow is For Real. Cain isn't going to beat him out. McCloud isn't going to beat him out. None of the newcomers are going to beat him out. Nobody, IMHO, is going to beat out Renfrow in the slot. People need to get over the fact that he looks like the waterboy's little brother. Renfrow is NFL all the way, looks remarkably like one of those receivers Tom Brady has made his living throwing to, is as good a slot-receiver as I've seen at Clemson, ever. Guy was just an amazing walk-on find and we likely won't see one like him for awhile.

I woudn't go that far. Cain has more God given talent

Feb 25, 2016, 4:22 PM

Renfrow gets the most out of what he has, great hands and great route running. however it's no slight to say that he's not as physically gifted as Cain and McCloud are. Both are freak athletes

ok, we all love Renfrow, and he is a legit player

Feb 25, 2016, 5:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't recall Scott playing the 5 spot or Renfrow the 2*** ]

...but this...
"I've never seen a guy at Clemson run routes as well as Renfrow with the possible exception of Curtis Baham or even Tony Elliott himself back in the day...and apologies to those guys, neither was remotely the athlete Renfrow is."
...is a stretch at best...

Adam Humphries, Derrick Hamilton, Tony Horne, Brian Wofford, Perry Tuttle, Jerry Butler, Doug Thomas, Tyler Grisham all say "Hello!"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ok, we all love Renfrow, and he is a legit player

Feb 25, 2016, 5:30 PM

> ...but this...
> "I've never seen a guy at Clemson run routes as well
> as Renfrow with the possible exception of Curtis
> Baham or even Tony Elliott himself back in the
> day...and apologies to those guys, neither was
> remotely the athlete Renfrow is."
> ...is a stretch at best...
>
> Adam Humphries, Derrick Hamilton, Tony Horne, Brian
> Wofford, Perry Tuttle, Jerry Butler, Doug Thomas,
> Tyler Grisham all say "Hello!"

Tuttle, Horne, Wofford, and Butler were a different era. I'll grant you Horne; he'd kind of slipped my mind...but I do think Renfrow is very much that kind of wideout and will have a very similar NFL career.

D-Ham was elastic as sin and could break your ankles with his change of direction, but he wasn't a polished route-runner, which is a big part of why he failed in the NFL.

Grisham and Humphries were good solid route-runners and cup-of-coffee guys at the NFL level, good enough to knock around training camps and push for spots, not really good enough to crack into a 53. But Renfrow is a lot better than either of those guys...faster, more athletic, a lot more body control, a lot slicker with his head-fakes and footwork and much more sudden into his breaks.

Watch the cut-ups. The more you watch the more you like Renfrow; the guy is just...remarkable, for a converted walk-on QB. He's right there with either Scott or Williams as an impact guy...very different than either, but just as effective. He's good for 50+ catches and at least a half-dozen TD's next year, and probably more than that, and that's even with Clemson's depth at WR.

2000's are not a different era (Wofford, Horne)

Feb 26, 2016, 10:17 PM

Renfrow is NOT a better athlete or football player than Butler or Tuttle, yet, if ever, and only time will tell otherwise. Grisham and Humphries both cracked 53 man rosters and generated stats in games, Humphries scored a couple of TDs in 2015. Horne was a short lived WR for the Rams and had a few moments, so, we'll see in time if Renfrow becomes more than a cup of coffee guy and exceeds any of these guys as a pro.

The basic skills of a WR are the same now as they were back in the 70's, the biggest difference is the speed of the game as well as those skills being more prevalent in 6'3+, 220lb bodies than in the 70's and 80's, but you're going a little overboard to already declare Renfrow better than some of Clemson's greatest regardless of era, "pro potential", or otherwise

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2016, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't recall Scott playing the 5 spot or Renfrow the 2*** ]

Man, you smoking crack! LMAO!!!!

Renfrow balled out in the NC game.

Feb 26, 2016, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Don't recall Scott playing the 5 spot or Renfrow the 2*** ]

If we had won the game Renfrow would have been a legend for his performance on the biggest stage.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Renfrow balled out in the NC game.

Feb 26, 2016, 3:15 PM

Agree but notice how he vanished in 2nd half?

The answer is simple ...

Feb 25, 2016, 4:49 PM

WE2DEEP

Re: New Story: Wide Receiver: Depth chart will be a matter of scrutiny heading into spring

Feb 25, 2016, 5:11 PM

I wish Cain well. Hope he gets his head screwed on be fortis too late. The others are super, Renfrow starts and plays a lot on my team. He's earned it the hard way, at the highest competition levels.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Renfrow Better Watch Out.......Lol ----

Feb 25, 2016, 5:43 PM

Not at all sure how they'll REALLY mix and match throughout the season....but TJ Chase and Powell are some real talented studs that I think will push...push ...push the guys thats are near the bottom of the depth chart. I think Chase and Powell will have more height and speed than Renfrow. Spring and summer will tell all.

My two cents: Williams & Cain with Scott & Renfrow

Feb 25, 2016, 6:31 PM

battling for 3rd receiver slot. Williams and Cain can catch the short ball and the home run and in my humble opinion put the most pressure on opposing Defenses. Renfrow had slightly better hands than Scott at year-end ... and Scott has better ypc running ability.

Cain will have to lay off the weed during the season, it's been well documented how his carelessness and immaturity had an impact on the natl championship game and left Clemson without a legitimate deep threat. But we have seen Sammy bounce back and Cain can do the same. Scott played hurt much of last year and IMHO tried to avoid contacts and dropped catchable balls. It could easily have been the injuries.

So Dabo, Elliott & Scott are in a great position at WR. Hard to say if Ray Ray or another receiver will have a chance to breakout, but we can sure use some return talent on special teams if they can hold on to the rock.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My two cents: Williams & Cain with Scott & Renfrow

Feb 26, 2016, 9:52 AM

I think these guys will start. I would like to see our te be more consistent catching and blocking. To many plays off. We will be tough and we could sub a lot of guys often.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well this suks - sure wish we had some depth at WR

Feb 25, 2016, 7:05 PM

that would solve some real problems.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Wide Receiver: Depth chart will be a matter of scrutiny heading into spring

Feb 25, 2016, 7:25 PM

If Renfrow doesn't start then I can say is we are blessed with unbelievable riches at WR.

Some guys will get snaps at multiple spots I could easily

Feb 25, 2016, 8:26 PM

see Cain getting snaps at both 9 and 5, with Scott being backed up by Ray Ray at 2, but both of those guys also getting what I call "gimmick" snaps at god knows what position (plays in the backfield, for example). You also have 4 and 5 wide sets so guys are getting additional snaps on those plays........it isn't just a neat tidy 3 snaps a play to give WRs.

So that is five guys (the 3 mentioned plus williams starting at 9 and renfrow starting at 5) getting a ton of snaps, and then Thompson, Bell, and some of the freshman fighting for snaps and maybe emerging for more or less as the season progresses.

As a side note, keep an eye on Choice at RB while the eye is on Feaster. Gallman is getting a ton of press, but this season will see a guy push more than last season and that guy is Choice.

Quozzel-you mentioned that Adam Humphries is a cup of coffee

Feb 25, 2016, 9:01 PM

Type guy who probably won't crack the 53. He caught about 30 balls
Last season for the Bucs. He played in 14 or 15 games!!!!

Just let him go, he's on a roll.***

Feb 25, 2016, 9:09 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: Quozzel-you mentioned that Adam Humphries is a cup of coffee

Feb 25, 2016, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Quozzel-you mentioned that Adam Humphries is a cup of coffee ]

you better not hurt quozzel's feeling. He will take his ball and go home crying like he did several years ago. Went to another site to post all his diatribe and it didn't take those sites too long to figure out he only wants to sound like an expert with his looooooooooooooooooong post. People that were not on TigerNet years ago and following him like a cult just as people did in the earlier years on TigerNet...but people caught on to him and began to criticize and make fun of him and he went off crying in his last post. So, after getting the same things happen to him on other sites, he is back here. Posters that were here in those days know exactly what I am talking about

Feb 25, 2016, 10:10 PM

> you better not hurt quozzel's feeling. He will take
> his ball and go home crying like he did several years
> ago. Went to another site to post all his diatribe
> and it didn't take those sites too long to figure out
> he only wants to sound like an expert with his
> looooooooooooooooooong post. People that were not on
> TigerNet years ago and following him like a cult just
> as people did in the earlier years on TigerNet...but
> people caught on to him and began to criticize and
> make fun of him and he went off crying in his last
> post. So, after getting the same things happen to him
> on other sites, he is back here. Posters that were
> here in those days know exactly what I am talking
> about

Yes, I'm very sensitive. Sniff.

Wait, though...you did say something interesting. I have followers?

What about groupies?

Feb 27, 2016, 6:29 PM

Good comeback!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jealous much? Quozzel was an awesome poster then and now.

Feb 26, 2016, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Quozzel-you mentioned that Adam Humphries is a cup of coffee ]

I'm glad he's back...

Now where's COOT4LIFE so we can bring back the old days?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Humphries is going to be in the league for a number of

Feb 25, 2016, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Quozzel-you mentioned that Adam Humphries is a cup of coffee ]

years. Great player at Clemson who some people tend to overlook but people in the know love Hump's ability.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2016, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Quozzel-you mentioned that Adam Humphries is a cup of coffee ]

Wow...checked the statline. Was actually 27 balls for 260 and a TD...which I will agree is something more than a "cup of coffee". He appeared in 13 games...I knew he'd been named to the practice squad, did not realize he had been re-activated so soon, and for so many games.

So yup. Wrong of me. But nobody will confuse Humphries with, say, Tony Horne or Nuk Hopkins, either, or really even Sammy Watkins or Martavis Bryant.

Point is, all I was saying is, I think Renfrow's a legit impact guy.

Feb 25, 2016, 10:41 PM

I like all of our receivers. But here's to hoping Mike Williams brings our deep threat ball back!

Feb 26, 2016, 8:57 AM

Quozzel, Amen.

Feb 26, 2016, 3:14 PM

Renf a nice little 3rd down wr. He isn't going to scare anyone. Dabo tends to fall in love with these guys - for obvious reasons. Scott to me doesn't seem like a natural wr. Doesn't seem to have the hands for it. Cain seems legit. Let's hope he get it together as he was missed vs. bama.

Feb 27, 2016, 8:40 AM

Another crackhead comment.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic