Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Parker to return to Clemson, play football this fall
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Jul 21, 2010, 12:30 AM

In a stunning turn of events, Kyle Parker informed the Clemson coaching staff that he will return to Clemson to play football this fall. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess it's true.***

Jul 21, 2010, 12:31 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yesssss!***

Jul 21, 2010, 12:33 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Wow, and I thought

Jul 21, 2010, 12:33 AM

For sure he was gone, period (and he still may be). This could very well just applying more leverage on the Rockies, at the risk of some pretty bad PR if he goes back on his word.

This will be a very interesting series of events to watch unfold. I am a bit surprised.

We'll see, though.

It's not like he still can't sign with the Rockies before

Jul 21, 2010, 12:37 AM

August 15, play football this fall, leave school after the semester and go play for the Rockies in the spring. That's probably what he should do at this point.

I would assume that's what he will do, unless he has a great

Jul 21, 2010, 12:39 AM

season and thinks he has a shot at the NFL.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

If he has a great year this year, some NFL team would

Jul 21, 2010, 12:40 AM

take a shot at him but I don't see him being a top pick (first four rounds) because of his height alone.

Drew Brees

Jul 21, 2010, 12:42 AM

enough said. He went in the second round.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Drew Brees was quite

Jul 21, 2010, 12:44 AM

a bit more accomplished than Parker is or will be. And I am a huge Parker fan.

Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but Drew Brees was quite

Jul 21, 2010, 12:48 AM

yeah, but you just said hit height alone would be key factor. You're right though, Brees was more accomplished. Great season by KP and he'd be right there though...I'm assuming that is his goal correct?

Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but Drew Brees was quite

Jul 21, 2010, 1:01 AM

Brees graduated from Purdue University with a degree in Industrial Management. He left Purdue with Big Ten Conference records in passing yards (11,792), touchdown passes (90), total offensive yards (12,693), completions (1,026), and attempts (1,678). He led the Boilermakers to the 2001 Rose Bowl, Purdue's first appearance there since 1967. In the game Purdue lost by ten points to the Washington Huskies. Brees was a finalist for the Davey O'Brien Award as the nation's best quarterback in 1999. He won the Maxwell Award as the nation's outstanding player of 2000 and won the NCAA's Today's Top VIII Award as a member of the Class of 2001. Brees was also fourth in Heisman Trophy voting in 1999 and third in 2000.

Brees' college success led to projections that he would be a mid-to-late first round draft pick in the 2001 NFL Draft, but he slipped due to concerns about his relatively short stature for a professional quarterback (6'0"), a perceived lack of arm strength, and a sense that he had succeeded in college in a system designed for him. Ultimately, Brees was the second quarterback selected in the 2001 draft, chosen by the San Diego Chargers as the first pick of the second round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Brees#College_career

It's entirely a matter of opinion, but there is no reason to

Jul 21, 2010, 1:09 AM

think Parker could not have a similar career.

- H. L. Mencken

Nope***

Jul 21, 2010, 12:53 AM [ in reply to Sorry to burst your bubble but Drew Brees was quite ]

- H. L. Mencken

Sorry to burst your bubble but Kyle Parker is pretty dang

Jul 21, 2010, 1:24 AM [ in reply to Sorry to burst your bubble but Drew Brees was quite ]

accomplished for a guy heading into his redshirt sophomore year. The things he has done on the football field have been incredible...and what makes it even more incredible is that he did it at the same time he was putting up All-American numbers in another sport. He has accomplished more at Clemson in 3 years than almost any Clemson athlete in history. This kid really is a rare talent and I would say his chances at playing on Sundays are very very good.

I'm willing to bet that Kyle Parker had better numbers in his first year at starting QB than Brees did at Purdue.

Brees didn't become the full time starter at Purdue until

Jul 21, 2010, 11:06 AM

Soph. year. He threw for just shy of 4000 yards and 39 TDs.

He averaged 3800 yards over the next 2 season also. he was also a 2 time Heisman finalist and a maxwell Award winner.

That all garnered him a 2nd round pick in the NFL draft... primarily due to his height.

Those are big shoes to fill if you are going to compare Parker to brees. no one is saying it's impossible, but it is improbable.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but Kyle Parker is pretty dang

Jul 21, 2010, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Sorry to burst your bubble but Kyle Parker is pretty dang ]

Drew Brees did not play much as a freshmen; however, even with 4 years it would be difficult for Kyle to match Brees passing numbers. But that's OK... because if he does play 4 years, he will WIN more games and that's what I care about.

Passing
Year Att. Comp. Int. Yds. TD Pct.
1997 43 19 1 232 0 .442
1998 569 361 20 3,983 39 .634
1999 554 337 12 3,909 25 .608
2000 512 309 12 3,668 26 .604
Totals 1,678 1,026 45 11,792 90 .611

...has absolutely NOTHING to do with Kyle Parker.

Jul 21, 2010, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Drew Brees ]

I think Parker has NFL potential, but using Brees as a means to substantiate that is completely meaningless.

Kyle and Carl both appear to be very stand-up men

Jul 21, 2010, 12:39 AM [ in reply to Wow, and I thought ]

I'd be VERY surprised if he went back on his word at this point. He still stands to make many millions of dollars by signing a deal that allows him to play football and baseball.

Very happy to see this.***

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Parker to return to Clemson, play football this fall

Can anyone confirm that Tiger Illustrated is reporting the same thing? Seems odd that just a couple of sites have picked up on this.

Reporting that SID TB hs releeased a statement that KP has

Jul 21, 2010, 12:46 AM

informed CDS of his decision but asked Dabo not to reveal it and allow KP to make the announcement. SID TB says he will have a press release with KP tomorrow.

Re: Reporting that SID TB hs releeased a statement that KP has

Jul 21, 2010, 12:48 AM

Yep, just saw that. Seems to be a bit conflicting, no? I'm not believing anything until I hear that statement tomorrow.

So he hasn't signed a contract with the Rockies yet and...

Jul 21, 2010, 1:04 PM

he is making an announcement tomorrow. What other announcement could it be?

Re: So he hasn't signed a contract with the Rockies yet and...

Jul 21, 2010, 1:14 AM

He will be back

yes ti has confirmed it***

Jul 21, 2010, 2:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Parker to return to Clemson, play football this fall ]

Jul 21, 2010, 12:43 AM

I felt all along that Kyle would be back. He's one of those rare few that has options in 2 professional sports, and I think he would've short-changed himself had he not come back to play one more year of football and see what his options were vis a vis the NFL draft vs. the Rockies offer. I think he made the right decesion and I think his decesion could very well mean a winning season for Tiger football. Had he not come back, I could see our team struggling quite a bit. Hats off to Kyle and his parents for making the decesion they made...If he had taken the money and run, I couldn't have faulted him but this decesion shows character.

Hizzzle to tha Yizzzle!***

Jul 21, 2010, 12:45 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why does everyone have to Rap everything?***

Jul 21, 2010, 8:41 AM

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Dabo is the best recruiter in the history of the free world.***

Jul 21, 2010, 1:00 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

maybe True but this had nothing to do with Dabo...***

Jul 21, 2010, 1:08 AM

Totally Disagree

Jul 21, 2010, 2:23 AM

A) Consider his track record - convincing CJ to come back when conventional wisdom is to go and it is so tempting.

B) Parker probably only returns if he thinks he has a shot at the NFL. Swinney had to convince him that despite being under 6ft tall, he had a chance at the NFL, and that's no easy task, Drew Brees notwithstanding.

Yeeeeeeeeah baby!!!!!!!!!!***

Jul 21, 2010, 1:04 AM

Win some games ######!***

Jul 21, 2010, 1:11 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

The article 1st said Cathy Parker said "No decision" 12:45AM

Jul 21, 2010, 1:42 AM

This article first reported that TigerNet had spoken with Cathy Parker at 12:45AM and that Cathy Parker said, "No decision has been made." But then a few minutes later when I revisited this article, Cathy Parker's comments were removed from the article. I wonder why.

I sure hope that I was wrong about KP leaving. We'll see.

Jul 21, 2010, 12:24 PM

YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and with Ellington and Harper in the backfield Let's get this season started baby!!!

Re: Parker to return USCs nightmare comes true

Jul 21, 2010, 7:04 AM

Wile USC has been cackling over the departure of Parker this certainly will stick in their gizzard but it aint over til the fat lady sings. Yes the Rockies let the Parker imposed deadline pass in the high stakes negotiations game but they still can come to the table. Whne the GM was reported to be out of the office yesterday I began to believe this would be the outcome for today. It reamins a tough spot for everyone - Kyle - Sweeney - Boyd. I think we are going to see how dedicated each is to one another, the team and Clemson in a short time

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

Jul 21, 2010, 8:04 AM

Thanks Kyle! Looking forward to you leading us to a final four in football!

I hope his studies go well.***

Jul 21, 2010, 8:54 AM

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
- Steve Martin

DON'T BELEIVE THIS REPORT

Jul 21, 2010, 9:05 AM

Not until Kyle announces it himself. Lets give him that much respect.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Jul 21, 2010, 10:36 AM

I think the young man made a wise decision. He is not yet capable of hitting major league pitching and my have a better career as an NFL quarterback. None the less he is a class act guy with a bright future leading the Turf Tigers!

AWESOME !!!!! ... Glad you're staying KP !!!

Jul 21, 2010, 10:52 AM

Let's "Rock"

Nov 1, 2010, 1:50 PM

I remember when this was first announced all the excitement and now Dabos throwing him under the bus. Sad day for Clemson football.

How is he throwing him under the bus? What are you talking

Nov 1, 2010, 1:55 PM

about? If anything, he's been too loyal to him.

Re: How is he throwing him under the bus? What are you talking

Nov 1, 2010, 2:12 PM

You have to change something at 4-4. Most people would probably say OC. We will see how Boyd works out. They cant just put him in for 1 set of downs here and there. They have to leave him in for a while and let him get in the game.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic