Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It is about time
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 675

It is about time

Mar 21, 2019, 8:48 AM

I laways knew that the mass drugging of kids was not going to turn out well in the long run. Longer term my bet is this is why there seems to be so many screwed up kids and young adults out there today. Sure would love to know just how many of the school shooters were on this stuff. Gotta say I am not surprised by this and big Pharma along with doctors and educators are all responsible. Toss in parents blindly following what those dopes told them and you got a perfect storm of liability coming.
https://www.news-medical.net/news/20190321/ADHD-drug-raising-risk-of-psychosis.aspx

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

first pot now ADHD drugs

Mar 21, 2019, 8:51 AM

I hope they don't throw mustard or hot sauce in there next

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: first pot now ADHD drugs

Mar 21, 2019, 11:09 AM

They can toss in that plain yellow mustard as I prefer Grey Poupon myself.

phiggy aint gonna like this***

Mar 21, 2019, 10:39 AM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Re: It is about time

Mar 21, 2019, 11:02 AM

Increasing the risk from 0.1% to 0.21% may not quite be worthy of the hysteria this story seems to be generating on the internet today.

Mar 21, 2019, 11:06 AM

CU17 said:

Increasing the risk from 0.1% to 0.21% may not quite be worthy of the hysteria this story seems to be generating on the internet today.

The team noted that one in every 660 youngsters developed an episode of psychosis within a few months after starting the medication. Now factor in the number of cases where a medical diagnosis was not made and that number is looking worse.

Mar 21, 2019, 11:25 AM

Why would you factor a theoretical unknown into a scientific study?

And why would they fail to make a diagnosis on kids who were in the study?

Mar 21, 2019, 11:58 AM

If something fails to be entered in a database it goes unreported. That is all the study used was 2 databases for 221k kids yet there were/ are over 2.8 million kids on those meds. Do you really think even in those 221k all data was reported? So if one assumes all data was correct and zero cases were not reported do the math on 2.8 million plus kids using the stated ratio, pretty big number. Now how many of those may not meet the definition of a psychosis event but have had the wiring of their brain altered in a way that is yet understood.

Blind trust in big Pharma is not a way to go through life as one only needs to look at the opioid issues today.

You keep referencing the opioid issue as if it’s related

Mar 21, 2019, 4:33 PM

It’s completely different. Just because both are drugs doesn’t mean “case closed”.

It’s like saying “hang gliders should be outlawed—-see the Boeing 737 Max 8 for reference”

I realize it’s the hip thing now to hate big pharma, but this is one study and it’s hardly an indictment against this class of drugs or their makers. These drugs and big pharma help a helluva lot more people than they hurt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s overprescribed, no doubt,

Mar 21, 2019, 11:27 AM

But good Lord what a hyperbolic post......

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It’s overprescribed, no doubt,

Mar 21, 2019, 11:36 AM

Not really if you go back and look at school shootings perpetrated by kids. It dovetails with the advent of pushing ADHD drugs and the rise in those events. I do not believe in coincidence, there is always a reason if you look. Much like the opioid crisis today.

That’s loose correlation, not definitive causation.

Mar 21, 2019, 11:43 AM

School shootings existed long before ADD drugs.

The period of time you’re referring to also overlapped first person shooter video games, social media, and a number of other societal changes.

I’m not saying you’re 100% wrong, I’m just not sure how you think you’re 100% correct, especially given the millions of people who have taken these drugs without committing mass murder.

Re: That’s loose correlation, not definitive causation.

Mar 21, 2019, 12:04 PM

Not saying I am 100% correct but that there is a root cause and it bears a much closer look. Yes I have looked at the data and reached an opinion but do not discount other factors of desensitized thoughts towards violence. Thing is are games/ movies the cause or is it rooted in altering how kids brains are altered by meds?

Re: That’s loose correlation, not definitive causation.

Mar 21, 2019, 12:18 PM

Dang that was worded poorly, not good on 4 hours sleep.

Thing is are games/movies the cause or how kids brains are altered due to meds. As a note the rise of shootings began long before the rise of internet/ social media as a widely used forum for kids.

You’re making my point with the last line

Mar 21, 2019, 12:20 PM

The rise of social media/internet use roughly corresponds to the rise of medications for learning disabilities becoming widespread.

Re: You’re making my point with the last line

Mar 22, 2019, 9:07 AM

Actually if you read it correctly it does not in fact.

He was being too nice calling it hyperbolic

Mar 21, 2019, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Re: It’s overprescribed, no doubt, ]

There are better adjectives. And no, there is not correlation between school shootings and ADHD treatment.

None. End of story.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: He was being too nice calling it hyperbolic

Mar 22, 2019, 9:13 AM

So you think a drug that causes psychosis in 1 out of 660 kids could never be the reason? Come on Cat, you are better than that. These drugs are wiring kids developing brains to accomadate an easier day in the classroom for educators. Pharma is making a killing and they do not care . If it causes psychosis to the point of needing medical interventions then just how badly is it affecting others while not inducing a clinical evaluation. I would never put one of my kids on the stuff, you may and that is your choice but I passed on it myself.

Just because something is FDA approved does not mean it is safe and never has in truth. Case in point is aspartame, it was not appoved by the FDA and was denied until Reagan was elected. He happened to be friends with Searle CEO and by golly it got pushed through easily.

Re: He was being too nice calling it hyperbolic

Mar 22, 2019, 11:36 AM

So you think a drug that causes psychosis in 1 out of 660 kids could never be the reason?

Okay, then show me the evidence.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Mar 21, 2019, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: It’s overprescribed, no doubt, ]

Correlation does not equal causation.

Your assessment of ADHD medication and media being a cause for violence is very, very incorrect.
Multiple studies have confirmed this.

Mar 21, 2019, 3:08 PM

Tiger1Dad is going to come back and call you a peabrained fool who can't think right. And that'll sure show you.

Mar 22, 2019, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Re: It’s overprescribed, no doubt, ]

Really? Not at all a fact as the issue has not been properly studied. It is the elephant in the room nobody wishes to look at and acknowledge. Pharma says it is great, so did tobacco companies, Oxy companies, Monsanto , and more. Sadly the truth only comes out far too late.

Why is this in P&R?***

Mar 21, 2019, 12:01 PM

CAUSE THOSE LIBBIE COOTS SNORT RITALIN!!!!!***

Mar 21, 2019, 12:03 PM

Re: CAUSE THOSE LIBBIE COOTS SNORT RITALIN!!!!!***

Mar 21, 2019, 12:12 PM

Re: Why is this in P&R?***

Mar 21, 2019, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Why is this in P&R?*** ]

Because most all things can be lumped in that area. You think drug companies do not lobby Congress? The FDA? A department constantly underfunded by certain sides of the political spectrum.

Up to now, neither politics or religion has entered

Mar 21, 2019, 12:16 PM

the discussion, that’s why....

How, pray tell...

Mar 21, 2019, 12:20 PM

Are educators responsible? They cannot diagnose, prescribe medicine for, or treat a kid for ADHD.

Re: How, pray tell...

Mar 21, 2019, 12:33 PM

No, but they absolutely can put pressure on the student and parents to get their kids medicated.

No, they can't.

Mar 21, 2019, 3:13 PM

In fact, that can cost them their job. They are specifically told not to insinuate or suggest to parents that their kid needs medication since an educator is not professionally qualified to make that judgment.

^^truff***

Mar 21, 2019, 3:53 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, they can't.

Mar 21, 2019, 6:36 PM [ in reply to No, they can't. ]

You should really shut the #### up, because you have no idea what you are talking about. You're spewing ########.

And I can say that with 100% earnesty because I went through a horrific experience with the public school system in which they tried to coerce my parents into putting me through a curriculum and medication regimen I did not need, including submitting me to things without my parent's knowledge or consent. Nothing happened to those people, and the law protected the school officials when it happened.

So no, you are wrong. They absolutely do find ways to suggest to parents to do these things, particularly in less than stellar school systems.

I don't know what happened to you specifically, but....

Mar 21, 2019, 7:46 PM

in general you are not correct.

My wife was a teacher and they were strictly forbidden in recommending medicating students.

My son has adhd and is on the autism spectrum and is in 5th grade now. I have been in a LOT of meetings with the school and it is clear they are not to recommend medical treatment. I would at a it is accepted fact.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. No, they can't.

Mar 21, 2019, 8:52 PM [ in reply to Re: No, they can't. ]

No, I'm not wrong. Yes, I know what the hell I'm talking about. A teacher can 100 percent lose his/her job if he/she tries to tell parents that their kid needs ADHD or any other medicine because...

A teacher is not qualified to make that assessment or make such medical judgments on a child.

That is 100 percent school district policy across the board and nation.

So if teacher or administrator tried to convince your parents that THAT'S what you needed, that's your parents' fault for not taking the appropriate action against them.

Yes, I know more about this than you do. Yes, I do.

Re: No. No, they can't.

Mar 22, 2019, 9:04 AM

You are mistaken on this as I have seen many cases of it being suggested. Also just how many doctors out there just give out pills with little testing? Kinda like the opiods they tossed out like PEZ. You are being delusional if you do not think schools/educators steer parents to this.

Re: No. No, they can't.

Mar 22, 2019, 11:38 AM

I'm not. Teachers are not permitted to do this. They are specifically told not to. Flow verified this with his wife. Please tell me when and where you have seen teachers tell parents (without consequences) that their kid has ADHD or something similar, and that they need meds.

Y'all are all 100 percent wrong on this one. It's a medical profession issue.

They do all the time. I know this for a fact.***

Mar 24, 2019, 12:41 PM [ in reply to No, they can't. ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so weird

Mar 21, 2019, 3:14 PM

i just read that pot and alcohol cause psychosis in kids.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it... in retirement.***

Mar 21, 2019, 4:13 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Parents malfunction or failure cause psychosis in kids.

Mar 21, 2019, 8:35 PM [ in reply to so weird ]

Failure to properly discipline or behaving in an less than adult manner in front of them. Hovering over them and telling them way too often that it's OK if they strike out or fail. Not demanding they do a job correctly the first time or failing to teach them to work.

There's a list of what's wrong with kids. Pot? Not so much if they are self disciplined by the time they are old enough to roll a joint.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 39
| visibility 675
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic