Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
American Aquarium - Lamentations
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 204

American Aquarium - Lamentations

Dec 23, 2022, 9:34 PM

Album of the Year, so far

https://open.spotify.com/album/16cNE8Er5s7OeJAe0Ki3vC?si=t7kRFUkhRa6sCjJVHglkYA

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BJ Barham is one of the most underrated songwriters on the

May 1, 2020, 2:04 PM

planet. If you haven't been watching his Wednesday/Sunday streams, he usually does a whole album or a theme and tells stories behind the songs. There are few better than him working today.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eh.... a few good songs, but...

May 1, 2020, 2:47 PM

At what point do we get tired of bitter southerners all trying to write songs like they're the Drive-By Truckers? I like most of the music, but the message is tired. Every southern band in the last few years has had similar collections of songs with almost the same message.

You've got the sort of faux-non-partisan cynicism of songs like Me+Mine (Lamentations) that show some level of empathy for "Me+Mine," but which ultimately are just about something that's been left behind. For what, though? This is good song-writing and I really enjoyed the blues-rocky breakdown, but it's just kind of stale.

"What are you supposed to do,
When the God you're prayin' to
Up and goes missin'?
Leaves a trail on unpaid bills
Broken homes and opioid addiction
And then a politian shows up
Promisin' that
He'll return the jobs
That God himself could not bring back

Fool me once, shame on you
Fool me twice, shame on me
Yeah, that's the day I gave up
On the American dream

Neither the left or the right
Are gonna fight for folks stuck in between
The way things really are
The American dream"

Something similar is going on with "Better South," which is catchy but not quite as good a song as "Me+Mine" because it's more explicitly political and less elegiac and poetic. We get it, you like a lot about the south, but there are some things you'd change if it were up to you. Me too, and probably true for just about anybody. But, ultimately, if you think where the south is now represents "one step forward and two steps back," then you're actually just writing a politically partisan song. Then there's the sort of noxious line about how the south is "always late [to the right side of history]," which, again is just boring partisanship. So while this song is more hopeful than the earlier song where the American dream is given up on, you still wonder whether what the writer is talking about is even "southern" in any way other than geography.

Definitely an entertaining album. I'd just like to hear something different from our bitter southerners (there's even the requisite call to legalize marijuana, which this time is offered as a way to save the old tobacco farmers). Or, maybe, let's hear from some southerners who haven't given up on the American dream, who believe in a better south, but who still believe in the "God you're prayin' to" and who don't presume to have the kind of abstract perspective they'd need to have to know which way history should and will go.

I'm not even sure who that would be, but ultimately I think the best musical expressions of the southern sensibility are when writers dig into historical narrative or when they immerse us into actual southern life. Maybe that's why I think the most memorable song on the album is "The Luckier You Get."

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think my favorite album of the year is Kingdom in My Mind

May 1, 2020, 3:00 PM

by the Wood Brothers. But I would have to try to remember who else has released an album this year before I could really decide.

https://open.spotify.com/album/2DcaMqz70T997l2zEdkWQh

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pacific Range - High Upon the Mountain

May 1, 2020, 3:31 PM

Think a slightly more psychedelic and less country version of the Flying Burrito Brothers

https://open.spotify.com/album/4D7i2DczT5MQj0gU0vAYGK?si=T6PL_O8tS4ak4ZlSZ7_c9g

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ur wrong***

May 1, 2020, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Eh.... a few good songs, but... ]

Thanks for the share. Enjoying this

May 1, 2020, 3:39 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 204
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic