Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Overrated Coaches
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Overrated Coaches

Sep 6, 2015, 9:44 AM

I'm pretty tired of the so-called experts continuiing to praise some coaches as "great" with no evidence to prove it. I'm sorry, but how can you say that about guys like Charlie Strong and James Franklin, for example?

I'll give Strong a small break: I wouldn't have expected the Horns to win in South Bend, but to look so putrid (truly, ND dominated as if the score should have been 50-0), a truly "great" coach would not have let that happen.

Franklin.....please. They try to anoint him because he won 9 games a couple times at Vandy and they came from behind to beat BC in a "who really cares?" bowl game and all of a sudden PSU is back and it's all because of him. Well, Temple just ruined that story. NO EXCUSE at all for even making a game of it yesterday....

My whole issue with all of that is that do you EVER (other than a minor passing comment) hear the experts give Dabo credit for being a really good coach? I mean, the consistency and the big wins he's posted: Do they give him credit for being a "great" coach? Good recruiter and good motivator, yes. But "coach", no.
I NEVER hear it.

They'll bring up the history of "Clemsoning" a lot more than anything else as if they are waiting for the Tigers to screw up a game like BC or GT, etc so they can say "You see..."(because we all know that no other teams lose games they shouldn't....only the Tigers do). Heck, with recent transgressions, they should change the term to "Georgiaing" (can they get more overrated? and nice blowout loss to FL last year) or "Trojanning" (after beating Stanford last year and the media saying they are finally back, they then went ahead and lost to BC the following week....nice).

Some of the more OVERRATED COACHES as I see it:
- Al Golden (most coaches would kill to have all of his talent, but he's still called the "right man for the job" and is a "great coach"; probably #1 on this list)
- David Shaw (sorry to say it because I like this guy; you could call it "Stanfording" too-- just look at the recent history; they can't win the one game a year they need to)
- Jim Harbaugh (he may prove me wrong, but everyone just thinks because he is now the coach -because he is so GREAT- that UM will instantly become a powerhouse.....win a couple big games first, will you)
- Frank Beamer (still rated as a better coach than Dabo.....maybe a few years ago, but -Wow- the last 6-7 years...really?)

Those are just a few. Any thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you feel better?

Sep 6, 2015, 9:55 AM

You're right on Franklin. He produced one or two recruiting classes at Vandy, that's it. He'll be fine at PSU. They tolerated baby rape and the conference is weak as water.

Strong has made a mistake at UT. He won't be there long enough to prove anything except that the patients of UT booster is short.

Clemson hasn't been mentioned much because they were busy promoting the fan's favorites which is something we probably will not be unless we make the playoff three or four times in a row. Try recording the review programs and FF until you see our Paw on the screen, it's almost bearable.

It will get better, or worse if we lose, after we play some D1 teams. We are not expected to beat FSU this year by the talking heads so we might escape the 'c,' word another year. The first time we lose a game in which we are favored turn your TV and radio off and mute it during the next few games.

you're welcome,
CT88

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Overrated Coaches

Sep 6, 2015, 10:02 AM

Your list of over rated head coaches is suspect.
Beamer and Shaw are very much in the top category. Dabo has had some downers in his career. He has now surrounded himself with good assistants and let them do their thing. If Harbaugh takes Michigan to where he had SF playing in the NFL, he will get his just recognition.
One game does not make the season for anyone; ask Ohio State about the VT game last fall.
Go TIGERS!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2015, 11:23 AM

Again, I preface this by saying I like Shaw and respect what Beamer has done in the past. The key word with Beamer is "past". He is no longer an elite coach by any reasonable measurement. Maybe, really, very average at best. I will excuse him for losing to the Bamas and Ohio States (which, unfortunately, they will tomorrow and probably handily....hope I'm wrong), but some of these other games are ridiculous (see William & Mary a few years ago and every recent year to a Duke or Virginia, etc....). Ironically, I think it all really started in 2011 with those two losses to Clemson, er Dabo.
Shaw ie, Stanford are so hyped up every year and all they usually have to go on is that they beat Oregon almost every year. Well, maybe they just have their number (kind of like GT has ours in the ATL). When you're in the talk of going to the Final Four, you don't lose to NW, etc when the money is on the line. (And don't use wins recently over USC as an attack on me....recently, A LOT OF teams have beaten USC.)
Also, your insinuation that Dabo is only successful because he has good assistants, well, that is a HUGE part of being a great coach: seeing the excellence in an assistant. Also, having the guts to make some tough coaching fires is indicative of great coaching. Furthermore, great coaches are like great company CEOs: they are fantastic managers and set the tone for their companies/teams. Danny Ford always said that his main job is to "coach the coaches".
Dabo, by all measurements, is a great coach and it will be a VERY SAD day when/if he ever leaves.....

Sep 6, 2015, 3:56 PM

You NEVER saw Danny Ford with a headset. He let his assistants do the coaching. He made critical decisions when necessary.

different times and different game now...

Sep 6, 2015, 4:02 PM

wood be very hard for HC nowdays to not have the headsets on...

not saying it's not possible, but it's a different game in a different time

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: You NEVER saw Danny Ford with a headset.

Sep 6, 2015, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Overrated Coaches ]

Go back and watch video of games from that era. Often you saw HCs without a headset. I watched some video of the OBS at Floridey in the 90s, I think from his 96 NC year, and he wasn't wearing a headset. Heck, in the video he wasn't even wearing a visor, had nothing to pull off his head and sling when he got POd.

Different era, different time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With all his success, his highest salary was $25,000 a year. The president of the university, Dr. R. F. Poole, feared that professors who earned less would be upset. "He called me up and said that he didn't want me to tell anybody what I made," Howard once said. "I said: 'Doc, you don't have to worry. I'm as ashamed as you are of what you pay me.' " - Frank Howard Obituary, New York Times, 01/27/1996

You're right

Sep 6, 2015, 10:07 AM

I agree with most all of that. Cabo doesn't get the credit he deserves. As far as UT is concerned; until the fans turn, in mass, away from Strong you won't hear a cricket chirp in the media. To do so would put a racist label on the writer who does it.

I think Shaw is a very good coach...

Sep 6, 2015, 4:00 PM

and i think it's hard to argue against Harbaugh... he's got the track record

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Beamer is over the hill like Bowden and Paterno were at

Sep 6, 2015, 4:08 PM

the tail ends of their careers. I think that's different than just being overrated.

Franking is overrated, agree on that.

Charlie Strong? He did a fantastic job at Louisville. He's one game into his 2nd season at Texas where he inherited a mess. He dismissed like half the team right after he got there. Give him another season or so before passing judgement.

Harbaugh seems to be public enemy #1 all of a sudden and I'm not really sure why? Does he personality grate on people's nerves or something? All he's done is won at both of his major coaching stops. He never quite got over the hump and won the big one, but he took both Stanford and SF from mediocrity to power in very short order. My biggest question mark with him at Michigan isn't if he can win, it's if he will stay long enough. If he stays he WILL win.

I used to like Golden, but he's running out of time at Miami. They are basically in the exact same place they were when he took over.

I'm not sure what to think of Shaw at this point. A couple years ago i thought he was a top 10 coach in CFB, but now I'm wondering if he's not just Larry Coker lite. Winning with Harbaugh's team and then slowing dropping off as the team becomes his players.

Another coach that i think the jury is really out on is

Sep 6, 2015, 4:10 PM

Helfrich. That's another situation where it's very possible he was just winning with Kelly's players. Will they remain elite this year and next year as the program really becomes 100% his?

Sep 6, 2015, 4:15 PM

http://m.imgur.com/UavWFZn

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created, and with them the animals,
The birds and the creatures that move along the ground, for I regret that I have made them.

Sep 6, 2015, 5:54 PM

Gotta disagree on Harbaugh. He was great at Stanford and the 49ers. He'll get it done eventually at Michigan

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic