Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Arena
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,040

New Arena

Feb 8, 2015, 3:57 PM

I have been looking at the concept drawings of the new arena and reading several articles about it as well. Last summer, Clemson announced instead of completely starting fresh on a new arena we would just be rebuilding on the same footprint. Also there was a video with Munson and DRad talking about the new arena saying it was going to have luxury boxes and club level seating and have an open concourse all around the arena, meaning no portals. Looking at the drawings there are portals very visible and no open concourse and where are the boxes? I'm afraid it's a bait and switch deal here. I guess I should just hold my comments and criticisms until more info is available. I just want to have a beautiful, state-of-the- art facility not another 60 million dollar patch job of an existing facility.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Arena

Feb 8, 2015, 4:06 PM

Yeah, I'm not terribly impressed with the new drawings. It looks basically the same as what it is now. Maybe instead of rushing into doing something we are going to regret we should wait to make sure we get it right. This will be the third major renovation in the last 2 decades and the first two haven't been able to get it right. Maybe we would be better off making the investment and building a new one? I would hate to throw away $63 million and then 10 years later decide we need a new coliseum. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

Feb 8, 2015, 4:11 PM

I think I'd rather spend 120 million and get a brand-new arena that state of the art, Bantu plunk down 60 million on a redo and not be satisfied and seven years. Really, they could take the 60 million from the coaches headquarters building and throw that in with the Littlejohn renovation and build a brand-new arena for all that money. I believe all this money from ESPN is starting to go to peoples heads, and were all going to spend all of that money that we're getting. So we will be back to square one with the huge amount of revenue in a huge amount of expenses and not a lot of money left over

Feb 8, 2015, 4:17 PM

Bantu? What is that ?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the last job was not nearly as impactful...

Feb 8, 2015, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Re: New Arena ]

as this current and new update. Besides restructuring Littlejohn's interior and exterior, which is very similar to what Ga Tech did (see what they did before and after. It is night and day) to look like more modern NBA building type of style, they are adding an extensive large practice gymnasiums, work out facility, first class player locker rooms, first class coaches offices. This will be all be first class unlike before and a great recruiting tools. Yeah, we could have built a brand new arena but it would have probably been too expensive to build and also add the additional program facilities. This was the right step for now.

Re: the last job was not nearly as impactful...

Feb 8, 2015, 4:24 PM

The outside is still going to be ugly thought with those rusted beams. I don't know maybe it's just me but I don't like half assing it. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see more renderings, but I thought we were going to have revenue generating club levels and completely different look. The interior and exterior of it looks pretty much the same to me.

there is only so much you can tell from renderings....

Feb 8, 2015, 4:27 PM

Check out these photos of Ga Tech before and after. Big improvements and their project was $45 million and ours is about $20 million more additions:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=arena+ga+tech+before+and+after&lr=&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=utLXVNfKOdLhsASfkIGABQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=613

Re: there is only so much you can tell from renderings....

Feb 8, 2015, 4:30 PM

Thanks for those photos, it's an awesome looking arena. If ours looks that nice, I'll be satisfied!

Re: there is only so much you can tell from renderings....

Feb 8, 2015, 4:39 PM [ in reply to there is only so much you can tell from renderings.... ]

Yes, GT looks nice but I'm worried about ours. Here are some schematics. Take a look at the exterior.

It takes a couple minutes to load. Specifically page 46.

http://media.clemson.edu/facilities/pdf/capital%20projects/index.php?dir=H12-9914-SG%2F95%25+Schematic+Drawings%2F&download=95%25+Schematic+Design+Drawings.pdf

Our renderings clearly don't have the true upper deck with

Feb 8, 2015, 4:42 PM [ in reply to there is only so much you can tell from renderings.... ]

the lit ribbon and, most importantly, no boxes or club seating. If the new arena were to have boxes and club seating they would surely be stating that, but no, they just talk of the new locker rooms, practice court (single court), meeting and coaches offices. This seems like good stuff for the team, but little for the fans, except fewer tickets and few more inches of leg room. I'm getting disappointed with this.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,040
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic