Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Our previous 2 offensive outings had admirable results
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

Our previous 2 offensive outings had admirable results

Jan 18, 2020, 9:55 PM

what was different today? I didnt get a chance to watch the game but we were on such a good roll. What happened? we are just not going to win many d1 games scoring in the 50’s. Would appreciate hearing your analytic comments.

Message was edited by: lthom022®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Re: Our previous 2 offensive outings had admirable results

Jan 18, 2020, 10:00 PM

Our offense is fine in the ACC but needs an update in the passing schemes. Hope Streeter is the man. Struggled against both elite defenses.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We lost today for two reasons, they are:

Jan 19, 2020, 10:34 AM

1) Success rate of putting the ball in the basket was very low

2) Very low percentage of FOUL SHOTS were made

I did not do the analytics but I believe if the team made the season average of foul shot percentage made, they would have won the game. Its like "leaving money on the table".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our previous 2 offensive outings had admirable results

Jan 19, 2020, 2:50 PM

I listened to the radio broadcast and followed on Gamecast, so my observations are not totally my own. If someone else saw something different, feel free to chime in, but here's what I know and maybe one or two things I speculate: SSL.

1) we skipped our morning shootaround per Tim Bourret. Probably more due to an early start than overconfidence, but who knows.

2) we started the game ice cold, missing our first 4 wide open looks before Simms went crazy scoring 10 points in carrying us to 11-5 lead. Our lead grew to 15-8, but Simms can't play 40 minutes. That was our high point. By halftime we trailed 36-24, and the rest of the team was 4-16 with no one else having scored more than 2 points. The second half was a big improvement, but still not enough: we outscored them 30-24, and the rest of our team shot 9-22 and hit 3 3s.

3) the refs called a very tight game. They whistled 43 fouls (most ACC games have 28-30)--only 1 in garbage time--several travels, a few toes on OB line, a lane violation. It was balanced, but there was little flow to the game. Of course, if we hit our FTs as well as St did, this would have helped us reach our scoring avg.

4) both teams played mostly Man defense, which is physically more strenuous than Zone. By this time in the season, our conditioning should allow us to handle it, but most coaches will tell you that reliable scorers missing FTs and layups primarily comes from getting lazy in the knees, players not getting enough lift. That's the reason why coaches should be increasing their player rotation this time of year, but Brownell is already rotating 10 with 1 being a serious defensive liability.

5) this was just a scrappy game. We held St 20 points below their season average even with so many FTAs. Their leading scorer Brice was back from concussion protocol, and we held them to fewer points than last week when they were missing his 15 ppg. They did lose one of their big men, Bates, to injury early in the game, but his absence didn't make much difference to their scoring ability. We only shot 25% from 3, but that was better than them.

Conclusion: anybody who says FT shooting cost us the game is entirely correct, because if we shoot our normal 70%, we win by 4 plus numerous bonus FTs we forfeited by missing front ends of 1-and-1s. We played an incredible defensive game to put us in position to challenge for the win. But that's 2 games in a row with poor FT shooting--one we survived, and one we didn't. It's got to improve.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic