Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Other than the firing of Danny Ford, what is the all-time
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Other than the firing of Danny Ford, what is the all-time

Feb 16, 2016, 12:54 PM

worst decision to fire a Clemson coach (any sport).

Jim Davis - wimmins BB?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

danny fired danny...***

Feb 16, 2016, 12:57 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That wasn't juan of the options anyway

Feb 16, 2016, 12:58 PM

idjit

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if i was here for you, which i'm not, i'd play your game...

Feb 16, 2016, 1:01 PM

which i won't.

arkansas only gave df 5 years, maybe take it up with them?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: danny fired danny...***

Feb 16, 2016, 2:16 PM [ in reply to danny fired danny...*** ]

^^^^This!!
Danny did. Tried to circumvent the board's authority and got busted. No one to blame but himself. Board had no other option but to fire him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: danny fired danny...***

Feb 16, 2016, 3:23 PM

Wrong. Danny did what other winning coaches of the day were doing. Danny was working with a board who was not "all in." They did not want to do what was necessary to see our program maintain elite status. Their actions set our program back thirty years. We are just now recovering from their poor decisions. If our current administration tried to do the things to Dabo that were done to Coach Ford, Dabo would be out of here in a minute. Elite coaches are not going to take a bunch of junk. That is one reason why Saban wins and wins and wins. The man takes no junk from admin. Saban is the football program dictator. If the school does not like that, they will not have Saban as their head coach. We could have had that same dynasty had pencil pushers left Danny alone.

Message was edited by: reynolds357®

Nope. Danny got canned before the other stuff came

Feb 16, 2016, 3:29 PM [ in reply to danny fired danny...*** ]

out. I wish he could have stayed and weathered the storm. Hatfield got run off and that wasn't a good look either. Keeping Danny would have been best overall

danny canned danny.***

Feb 16, 2016, 3:32 PM

Danny got into trouble. And got fired***

Feb 16, 2016, 3:54 PM

yes, danny fired danny.***

Feb 16, 2016, 3:56 PM

see here

Re: Danny got into trouble. And got fired***

Feb 16, 2016, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Danny got into trouble. And got fired*** ]

"Ford resigned on January 18, 1990, after a falling out with Clemson administration. He was subsequently cleared in an NCAA investigation that also was announced around that time."

And this is from Wikipedia, so you know it's right.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Canning Red Parker

Feb 16, 2016, 12:58 PM

Aside from putting us on the timeline that made Danny Ford a head coach, to fire guy who brought Steve Fuller, Jerry Butler and many of the now-household names in Clemson history still rankles me.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rev...Red Parker only won 5 games total his last two seasons

Feb 16, 2016, 1:03 PM

at Clemson and his best year was a mere 7 - 4 in 1974.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Rev...Red Parker only won 5 games total his last two seasons

Feb 16, 2016, 1:26 PM

And we got absolutely robbed of a win in Knoxville, which would have been the biggest Clemson win in nearly a decade.

That 76 team was kinda like Nebraska this past year ... if there was a way to lose, they'd find it. But I firmly believe Red had rid the team of the Hootie Malaise by the end of the year and would have been successful in 77.

As successful as Pell? Who can say? But he deserved better from Clemson.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here he goes again. 1975 tnet all over. Back then he was just tigerdodd.

Feb 16, 2016, 1:32 PM

Please dont rehash those old threads.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Hey ... with the blazing 2k connection...

Feb 16, 2016, 1:56 PM

...it took about a week to type and send a reply.

Re: Rev...Red Parker only won 5 games total his last two seasons

Feb 16, 2016, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Rev...Red Parker only won 5 games total his last two seasons ]

We were robbed twice in Knoxville, when Stanley Morgan was in the hideout play and I think Condridge Holloway and the refs screwed us on a 2 point conversion, we lost 29-28, and the 76 game I think it was when the refs saved Bill Battle's job by schlonging us 20-14...but Red lost the team and I did think after he punked USuC 28-9 he would have been able to stay

Oh man. . Here we go.. I knew this would happen

Feb 16, 2016, 1:37 PM

1975 tnet all over again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I'll reply as soon as a spot on the hub is open ....

Feb 16, 2016, 1:58 PM

...sometime next week, most likely!

Re: Canning Red Parker

Feb 16, 2016, 5:05 PM [ in reply to Canning Red Parker ]

I always thought that as well.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In rough order I'd say...

Feb 16, 2016, 12:59 PM

Jim Davis - Womens BKB
Allowing the Leones to leave - Womens Soccer
Adair - Men's Soccer (altho we finally have the right guy now)
Kriese
Pollack

Davis, the Leones, and Kriese are the three I don't fully understand. The other two I just think we jumped the gun on - especially Adair.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought Kriese retired? Or was that just the "official"

Feb 16, 2016, 1:01 PM

term for the separation?

firing Tommy West***

Feb 16, 2016, 1:10 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

haha, i felt he was the worst clemson fb coach since I've

Feb 16, 2016, 1:47 PM

been alive.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ken Hatfield

Feb 16, 2016, 1:17 PM

You could say hiring West

Sticking geeville tiger in the upper deck.***

Feb 16, 2016, 1:19 PM

Sorry but I prefer not to have responses to my OP from

Feb 16, 2016, 1:23 PM

the UDP of the world.

TIA in advance.

Re: Sorry but I prefer not to have responses to my OP from

Feb 16, 2016, 1:25 PM

Giving Bowden a large contract extension a year before he was canned.

I understand. . But in my defense im not one of the udp

Feb 16, 2016, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Sorry but I prefer not to have responses to my OP from ]

That looks down on you.

Cliff Ellis. Oh sure, we got a few good years of Barnes,

Feb 16, 2016, 1:26 PM

but if we knew then what we later knew, who wouldn't have preferred Cliff to Shyatt or Purnell?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wish I could give more than 1***

Feb 16, 2016, 1:32 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe 1

Feb 16, 2016, 1:36 PM

is all you have to offer?

It's OK...you're among friends.

Wish in 1 hand. ..***

Feb 16, 2016, 1:37 PM [ in reply to wish I could give more than 1*** ]

go on***

Feb 16, 2016, 2:27 PM

we didn't fire cliffie

Feb 16, 2016, 3:04 PM [ in reply to Cliff Ellis. Oh sure, we got a few good years of Barnes, ]

he fired us

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you sure about that?

Feb 16, 2016, 3:09 PM

I know he resigned, but going off of 20+ year old memories, I thought he was highly "encouraged" to resign?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree... +1. Least understood by me....***

Feb 16, 2016, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Cliff Ellis. Oh sure, we got a few good years of Barnes, ]

Re: Other than the firing of Danny Ford, what is the all-time

Feb 16, 2016, 1:30 PM

I don't know the worst decision about coaches, but losing Ibrahim did not help us any after he won 2 soccer championships...however the most boneheaded decision a coach at Clemson even made was not doing something to help Skip wise stay in school...when Tates got canned and foster came in, his first order of business what to get Skip straightened out and back in class.....

I'd say Jim Davis or Cliff Ellis.***

Feb 16, 2016, 1:31 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

although not fired, I've always been of the opinion that

Feb 16, 2016, 1:37 PM

Clemson should have done whatever necessary to keep Bill Foster who left Clemson to re-start a basketball program at Miami....the Tigers were pretty darn close to turning the proverbial corner in basketball----who knows--with the stability of keeping the staff there, the consistency in recruiting desperately needed,....perhaps

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After getting us to the Elite 8

Feb 16, 2016, 2:14 PM

...losing to eventual champ UCLA in 1980, I think Foster felt he had finally reached the level Clemson could recruit with the big boys. After the splash with Hamilton, Bynum and the freshman haul, it looked golden. But by 82 were were break-even again, third fiddle to football and soccer.

I saw Foster the summer after he moved to Miami and asked if it was the location or the task. He said he loved Clemson, loved the fans ... but if he was going to have to rebuild a basketball program, it would be a lot easier in Miami.

Hard to argue that.

No doubt there was an element of being the stepchild

Feb 16, 2016, 2:34 PM

to football, I've had numerous people who worked in the AD at the time tell me the problem was over a comparatively small amount of money that the university wouldn't pony up for his salary, staff salaries (all the lowest in the ACC at the time) and some minor facility improvements---particularly considering it was--at the time--looking like football would be getting brand new dorms----but thats a story for another time

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2016, 2:26 PM

Not fired but....letting Barnes and OP walk?

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Feb 16, 2016, 3:21 PM

I think it was firing Ken Hatfield at the wrong time. He should have been fired, but the timing of the firing was awful and his replacement was not the right man for the job. The program moved backward after his firing instead of moving forward.

So should he have been fired earlier or later?

Feb 16, 2016, 3:26 PM

I take your post to mean "later"?

I hole hard Ted Lee agree that he should have been fired.

trying to figure how to work Max Lennon into this thread***

Feb 16, 2016, 3:33 PM

Heisman.

Feb 16, 2016, 3:37 PM

I remember thinking it was a terrible idea at the time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

He was not fired you moran.

Feb 16, 2016, 3:52 PM

Don't you remember Coach Heisman pushing for shoulder pads and facemasks...and the Administration wouldn't fork over the money for those "luxuries"? Heisman then knocked a CapriSun out of the President's hand and stormed out the door.

i don't believe that for a second...

Feb 16, 2016, 3:56 PM

George Calhoun didn't drink Capri Sun's you moran

Definitely Rob Spence***

Feb 16, 2016, 4:54 PM

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic