Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Oscar Thorsland
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Oscar Thorsland

May 21, 2013, 11:25 AM

wide receiver for clemson, '60 thru '62. Caught a TD against Auburn in '61. Hails from Teaneck, NJ. He was 6-4, 218.

Ran into him yesterday, had a nice talk.

He said Frank Howard used to stand there with arms folded over his big belly, and they practiced one day from 2 to about 6. Somebody said something about it and he said, "We'll go home when i get tired."

Frank also went up to Press Maravich on a very rainy football practice day, and simply said to Press: "We'll be using your gym today." That was the end of it.

Football being tops here and basketball being second fiddle is apparently deeply established.

Not much you can do with that, is there.

Thorsland looks great for 73. Like he could still catch a pass or two.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oscar Thorsland- PA and NJ used to be big areas

May 21, 2013, 11:26 AM

for us to get players. We havent done much there in years though

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

JP was born in Teaneck. Athletic hotbed******

May 21, 2013, 11:28 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The body works better with a proper nerve supply.

Re: Oscar Thorsland

May 21, 2013, 11:31 AM

He was my junior high school teacher and swung a mean paddle..... I will always remember the poster above the black board "you get of life what you put into it". Great teacher, he left a good impression on me and my butt!

May 22, 2013, 11:51 AM

He was my 7th grade homeroom and science teacher at EJHS in 1966. He confiscated someone's drumstick and would it to beat on the front of his desk when we became unruly and that happened all the time. A great man and teacher who made a great impression on my young life. Later found out he had played in CFL after Clemson.

May 21, 2013, 12:10 PM

That wasn't the only time the basketball team ended up sitting in the bleachers to watch football "practice", and I never understood why. There wasn't room to do anything but walk through the plays, and I'm not sure what that accomplished. They should have sucked it up and practiced outside in the rain. Buch of weinies.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Howard...

May 21, 2013, 2:01 PM

didn't have a Goretex hat back in dem days....

Didn't want that Fedora to git wet, or dat haid...

May 21, 2013, 2:03 PM

So that's why Pistol Pete went to LSU?

May 21, 2013, 2:41 PM

Pistol Pete went to LSU because he couldn't make the acidemic standards then to play in ACC.

Actually Oscar was a tight end. We ran the wing T in those days -no wideouts. Think Phil Rogers was first true wide-out.

Pistol Pete's daddy

May 22, 2013, 12:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Oscar Thorsland ]

went to LSU as head coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In a nutshell, you just explained exactly why Clemson is

May 21, 2013, 2:42 PM

so far behind the rest of the ACC in basketball. Frank Howard more or less dictated that we wouldn't seriously focus on anything but football.

Oscar Thorsland was principal at Liberty HS when I was practice teaching back in 1973. Heh heh, he certainly had the physical presence to command respect of the students and teachers.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep...it was football and everything else and everything

May 21, 2013, 2:49 PM

else really didn't matter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup, that was the point ...

May 21, 2013, 4:08 PM [ in reply to In a nutshell, you just explained exactly why Clemson is ]

I felt that with the nugget on Coach Howard I had unearthed some fairly deep roots of why basketball is weaker sister.

Which actually made me feel better about the basketball program.

I'll bet in North Carolina there's some similar history on why basketball became king, not football.

Re: Yup, that was the point ...like their old point shaving

May 21, 2013, 5:57 PM

scandal or their recent academic scandal

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In a nutshell, you just explained exactly why Clemson is

May 22, 2013, 1:00 AM [ in reply to In a nutshell, you just explained exactly why Clemson is ]

Have read that basketball coach Bobby Roberts had to use a phone in the hallway at Fike to make calls as Howard wouldn't approve more funds. Its likely Roberts' office was pretty spartan as well. He proved he had the ability to coach when the players were available as evidenced by the 66-67 team. Can't imagine how he was able to attract any talent with the administration's intense lack of support.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

I thought Frank was tough

May 21, 2013, 6:14 PM

Turns out he was a softy using the gym as a dang indoor practice facility.
:)

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic