Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Origin of the word Coot
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Origin of the word Coot

Jul 29, 2014, 4:09 PM

I have seen the term Coots refer to fans of the football team of the University of South Carolina-Columbia campus for sometime and was just wondering how this term originated. Here is what urban dictionary has to say:http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=coot. It is interesting that the number one definition of the term coot involved Scar. Just wondering if anyone had any "inside information" to where the term came from. Thanks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Origin of the word Coot

Jul 29, 2014, 4:27 PM

The word Coot was originated by the Germans in 1904, they named Gamecock fans Coots, which of course in German means a whale's ######!

Jul 29, 2014, 4:39 PM

A coot is duck like bird that swims around eating vegetation in lakes all day. As it eats, it farts in rapid succession and is constantly "talking". Much like USUCK fans. I explain to my coot "friends" we call you coots because a coot is the lowest form of bird life known to mankind. They leave with a puzzled look on their faces.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2014, 4:37 PM

Well, one reason you have to use Coot here is because the short form of Gamecock gets you this ####.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If memory serves....

Jul 29, 2014, 4:38 PM

it started years ago when PETA appealed to $CU to consider changing its mascot to something other than an illegal activity (#### fighting is a felony in 40 states) that does not evoke images of a brutal blood sport.

Being the good neighbors we are and with a fervent desite to look out for the needs of others, the TigerNet faithful offered a number of creative suggestions. Coot just happened to be one that stuck.

Considering that a Coot is a weak flying worthless bird or a harmless foolish/simple-minded person, I'd say Coot is an entirely fitting moniker.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Coot was being used before that on tnet***

Jul 29, 2014, 6:53 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought it started as gooks which came from Vietnam War.

Jul 29, 2014, 4:50 PM

Gooks were the despised vietcong.....scum of the earth; therefore, the name obviously fit. Later, it went from gooks to coots.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meh, just go with it. I prefer DIRT PECKERS myself***

Jul 29, 2014, 4:51 PM

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic