Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Orange bowl question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Orange bowl question

Jun 9, 2012, 1:47 PM

I for one believe that the orange bowl meltdown rest on coach Swinney's shoulders. Call it OJT if you would like but he made some rookie mistakes.

- We arrive in Miami on Tuesday, seven days before the game.

- We motorcade around town in tiger buses as we own the town.

- We take day trips as if we are on vacation.

- We were all over the TV showing how much fun we were having in sunny Florida.

- We tell our players that they have greatness in them before they play the game.

- Truth is we never had a chance. West Virgina arrived on Thursday focused on the job at hand .We were focused on the experience and not the game. Rookie mistake by Dabo.

The truth hurts and nobody likes to talk about it. Coach Dabo is a great guy but we will continue to pay for his inexperience for many years to come. The ability to hire good people can only get you so far.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All of that contributed and is indicative of a general

Jun 9, 2012, 1:54 PM

softness in approach that impacts the kinds and types of players we recruit and their development after they arrive, Hope we can fix it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What do you expect when the coots sign that type of

Jun 9, 2012, 9:10 PM

player? Do you expect any different??? HELLO!!!!

So what's your question?***

Jun 9, 2012, 1:58 PM

That's a question?

Jun 9, 2012, 2:02 PM

I think:

A) Our defense struggled all season against teams that are not Virginia Tech. It was a bad matchup for our defense. I think everyone knew that the offense would have to outscore them.

B) The offense was ready but the game turned on AE's fumble that resulted in a 14 point swing. After that point the offense tried to shoulder too much responsibility which resulted in more turnovers.

Last year's defense was confused and out of position all season. Hopefully that has been addressed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo.***

Jun 9, 2012, 2:04 PM

Drink a little more koolaid. Then it will

Jun 9, 2012, 2:45 PM [ in reply to That's a question? ]

sound like a question.

As our LBs go, so will go our defense.***

Jun 9, 2012, 8:52 PM [ in reply to That's a question? ]

I don't buy that...

Jun 9, 2012, 2:03 PM

We started the game intense and fully focused on the task at hand. Our defense struggled because Holgerson took Steele to school, but our offense was on point. We were playing step for step with them, well, until the disastrous fumble. We had 2 turnovers right after that, and things snowballed (to put it lightly). But again, we were fully ready to play and focused on the task at hand. The final score does not indicate we weren't ready to play.

With all that said, I agree with coneross, we must get more physically tough, or we aren't going to improve on our accomplishments from 2011.

Re: I don't buy that...

Jun 9, 2012, 3:08 PM

as long as "soft and slow" batson is our S & C program we are as good as we will get!when he is gone then we have a chance to make major improvements but not before

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't buy that...

Jun 9, 2012, 9:14 PM [ in reply to I don't buy that... ]

Stanley, I am agreeing with you more and more lately. Good post!

Yeah...I also heard that the WVU players slept outside

Jun 9, 2012, 2:10 PM

on nail mattresses and ate wharf rats seasoned with gun powder and drank vinegar right up until the game...no wonder they were so tough.

or

Maybe there was a freak play where we fumbled at the 1 foot line and they returned it 99+ yards for a touchdown that completely switched the momentum....from that point on it snowballed and we did nothing right and they couldn't do anything wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point for you.***

Jun 9, 2012, 9:15 PM

Despite how you may perceive things, everything I've heard

Jun 9, 2012, 2:14 PM

about Dabo when it comes to game preparation is that he is very serious and all about business.

Re: Despite how you may perceive things, everything I've heard

Jun 9, 2012, 2:20 PM

Would Saban tell his players that they had greatness in them?

Maybe he has? How do you know? Telling a kid he has

Jun 9, 2012, 2:22 PM

greatness in him isn't the same as telling him he is already great. It gives the kid impetus and a goal to actually reach that greatness.

Denied.

Re: Despite how you may perceive things, everything I've heard

Jun 9, 2012, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Despite how you may perceive things, everything I've heard ]

Not a chance! Although, he would just step over any of his players who are having a seizure....not my kind of coach. I like people who have human qualities.

Re: Orange bowl question

Jun 9, 2012, 2:23 PM

So do you want a coach like Nick Sabin who says a team that does not win,let alone plays for a conference championship should compete for the National Championship but bows to the wishes of the BCS? This is also the same Nick Sabin that voted for his team over Oklahoma State in the final season poll.Is that who you want?
Or maybe you want an Urban Meyer who saw that the Gators were facing some tougher times,then took off a season for health reasons only to end up at Ohio State?Or maybe Pete Carroll who abandoned a National Championship caliber program facing probation to go to the pros.
Is that who you want?
Or how about the Ole Ball Coach who won one divisional title at Carolina while giving his star QB ample opportunities to screw up then reinstate him.Is that who you want?
Or how about a coach that took advantage of an easy schedule after starting the season 0-2{ losses to Boise State and the Gamecocks)to win the SEC East only to get slapped around by another coach we all love to hate(Les Myles) in the championship game.That would be Mark Richt,who some thought was facing burnout.Oh,and how many players has he dimissed the past two years for abusing team policies?
Ok,so Dabo might have been a little soft and made some rookie mistakes.
So name me one coach,rookie or not that hasn't made a mistake or two,or done something he might have regretted at some point.Name me that guy and then go make him an offer.But let TDP know.He hired Dabo.

I have no problem with rookie mistakes....

Jun 9, 2012, 2:41 PM

..as long as the coach learns from and never repeats them. That's my hope for Dabo.

Most of the team activities you're pointing out are set up

Jun 9, 2012, 2:56 PM

by the Orange Bowl committee and are practically mandatory for the participating teams. The buses were decorated and provided by that same committee. WVU had one as well that the rode around town in leading up to the game. That's a pretty uninformed argument you just put forth for that game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good points! Uninformed argument is putting it mildly

Jun 9, 2012, 9:14 PM

for the OP.

Jun 9, 2012, 2:56 PM

You do not have any idea what you are talking about. WV did the same visits and trips. Were you there? infact,you could not have been. We been doing the same thing and approach for 20 years.

Come back when you been around longer!

Here's some help:

Jun 9, 2012, 3:03 PM

ques·tion/?kwesCH?n/
Noun:
A sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information: "we hope this leaflet has been helpful in answering your questions".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Could be a fair assessment koolaid, but I doubt

Jun 9, 2012, 3:38 PM

he will the same mistake again. Sure there is some OJT in play, but it just might pay off one day in the next few years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, we won't.

Jun 9, 2012, 3:51 PM

Of course the OB was all on Dabo. What, you think water is wet and snow is cold?

Dabo is a novice at handling young men's emotions. That was the difference in wins and losses last year including the Orange Bowl.

If you think he learn nothing from that you must think he is stupid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2012, 5:03 PM

Why are we still talking about this? MOVE ON.
Or get a life.

Jun 9, 2012, 8:22 PM

Holgren really used his extra years of experience well, didn't he?

we will only pay for his inexperience if he does not learn

Jul 8, 2014, 1:57 PM

from past experience. If he's a little better with game management and with coaching players up, then the next 2 years should be good/really good.

Re: we will only pay for his inexperience if he does not learn

Jun 9, 2012, 9:04 PM

I Think Dabo has a lot of potential as our head coach, but i would not have signed him to 3 year contract extension just for achieving something we should have been doing a couple of times since 1991 when we won the last Acc Championship before last year. Just because he's hired 2 good assistants, (Venables Hyped but unproven) at least here in Clemson. Will Be interesting to see what The Tigers can Accomplish Next season. Just Hope we outgrow these meltdowns like the one at the end of last season. If Dabo can grow up as a head coach and develop these talented players we continue to get, Clemson has a Bright Future. Go Tigers!

The Lads Just Gave Up....

Jun 9, 2012, 9:22 PM

Is that the coaches fault? Should he have given a Knute Rockne like speech after the fumble at the goal line? I think not... they jut gave up, plain and simple... game meant nothing, nobody's VISA bill paid win or lose ... thus, that is why we need a proper playoff! Eleven Conference winners in, plus 5 noble wild cards, and may the best team win. The eyes of the nation will be upon you... (and big contacts come forth based on your efforts)

Re: The Lads Just Gave Up....

Jun 9, 2012, 9:27 PM

After That AE fumble and 14 point swing guys threw in the towel. Never thought I would see us put up a worse bowl performance than than the Tangerine Bowl vs. TTU.

Aye!!!! Truly Pitiful!

Jun 9, 2012, 9:30 PM

It was almost like, lets get this game over with, party at "Ground Zero" after this mess! It does not matter.... that was then, this is now..... Go Tigers!!!! .....

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic