Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Yeah defund the police
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 533

Yeah defund the police

Jun 22, 2020, 11:09 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Progress"!***

Jun 22, 2020, 11:14 AM

null

Re: "Progress"!***

Jun 22, 2020, 11:20 AM

Forward!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 22, 2020, 11:20 AM [ in reply to "Progress"!*** ]

all those riots and statue removals are working. We are seeing progress, yay America!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 22, 2020, 11:30 AM

In Charlotte, police were called when a pedestrian was hit

Jun 22, 2020, 11:19 AM

by a vehicle. (After police reform, driving instructors will be called to the scene instead of police.)

Anyway, the shooting started after the police arrived, so I'm sure this will turn out to be the fault of the police...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In Charlotte, police were called when a pedestrian was hit

Jun 22, 2020, 11:27 AM

A driving instructor? I know you are joking, but that is funny.

A march scheduled today in Charlotte - probably be protested

Jun 22, 2020, 11:43 AM [ in reply to In Charlotte, police were called when a pedestrian was hit ]

because according to this article: Monday’s march starts at Friendship Missionary Baptist Church, 3400 Beatties Ford Road. A flyer for the march reads, “Black lives won’t matter to others until they matter to us.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article243705947.html

Also in the article:
He lamented that no witnesses had come forward yet, saying, “400 people in one spot, we have not one witness.” Smith said, and urged people to provide police with information about the shooting.

null

That is a main piece of the puzzle missing in the BLM

Jun 22, 2020, 12:37 PM

movement - a little introspection.

Hopefully, that march gets a little attention...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A third person has died from that incident in Charlotte.

Jun 22, 2020, 5:05 PM

400 people were there and no one saw anything.

null

Re: Yeah defund the police

Jun 22, 2020, 11:29 AM

Liberals generally dislike gun sales. I bet gun sales are up because of all this craziness. The cops arent going anywhere, but I bet people are stocking up. Defund the police is a bad slogan. It wasn't very well thought out.

Completely agree

Jun 22, 2020, 11:39 AM

"defund the police" is a terrible slogan because it is not 100% what they are calling for.

They could have used hundreds of other slogans that would work better.

Demilitarize the police.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: Completely agree

Jun 22, 2020, 12:09 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/opinion/sunday/floyd-abolish-defund-police.amp.html

https://youtu.be/Suz_HC0XG00

https://www.faithwire.com/2020/06/17/chaz-chop-leader-promises-more-violence-in-stunning-street-interview/

YOU guys don’t want to defund the police. Many of the leaders of this movement do.

null

Jun 22, 2020, 11:46 AM

It's honestly very sad that all the attention is going to "bad cops" all because one giant POS (maybe racist) cop murdered an unarmed african american while he was under arrest.

All unjust deaths are bad, including the death of George Floyd.

But what is worse:

1. Stray bullets killing 2 children in what is likely gang violence. (Along with 9 other murders)

2. a POS cop murdering an african american while being arrested. He was being arrested for using a counterfeit 20 dollar bill and was high on meth and fentanyl.

Why is number 2 getting all the attention? Seriously, can anyone logically explain this to me?

More people were murdered in Chicago last weekend than unarmed african americans by cops in 2019.

Am I taking crazy pills? ### is going on?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or maybe evidence that "deterrence" isn't working

Jun 22, 2020, 12:04 PM

If none of the laws that are supposed to deter these crimes have changed, and none of the consequences for their punishment have been changed, why are people still committing these crimes?

If in general people know they will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, why do we still have crime at all?

It appears to me that existing laws and enforcement are not actually solving any of our problems. We have more prisons, more people in the system, and on average spend $27,000 more each year for an inmate than we do for a child in school.

Education, workforce training, job stability are the things that we could be investing in to solve these problems.

Not tanks and prisons.

Re: Or maybe evidence that "deterrence" isn't working

Jun 22, 2020, 12:20 PM

Some thoughts...

Jun 22, 2020, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Or maybe evidence that "deterrence" isn't working ]

if there is a bump in crime as a result of imposing additional restrictions on LEO, as I have heard is happening in NYC (but don't know for sure as I have not seen in statistics), then that is evidence that the "deterrence" WAS working.

No one envisions a world where we have no crime. Our LEO policies and practices do not think we can get to a point that we have zero crime. They are there to handle the crime that exists.

What people know that they will be prosecuted to the full extend of the law? I am constantly reading in Charlotte how the police chief is frustrated by the revolving door in the courthouse.

The existing enforcement is solving problem when it takes a criminal off the street.

And where are these tanks that cops have? That's insane.

null

I call them tanks, but MRAPs are all the rage

Jun 22, 2020, 2:08 PM

as they are supposedly "free" military surplus made available for police departments.

I don't know how anyone can deny that the modernization of police forces have basically evolved them into more of a military force. That was never their role.

I want police to be able to safely do their job, but the growth in hardware and military machines on the beat is ridiculous and doesn't make us any safer, arguably makes us less safe.

Broken Windows policing was credited with solving a lot of problems in larger cities like New York in the late 1990s and 2000s. That then evolved into more aggressive stop and frisk tactics which treated people in general like criminals without any probable cause.

The main point is that we should leave it up to cities and counties to determine what works best for them. The level of policing that is required should be up to them, but we should reflect on why we have Fourth and Fifth Amendment rights to begin with.

https://twitter.com/JBaker_WTOV/status/1273655533510242308?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1273655533510242308&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.miamiherald.com%2Fnews%2Fnation-world%2Fnational%2Farticle243665537.html

Yep.

Jun 22, 2020, 2:23 PM

That vehicle has no place on the streets of America.

If it is needed, then they should be in a position that they need some special federal support. A bunkered militia. An armed terrorist cell. A cult of some sort. If the average police force needs that thing we are in enormous trouble. And just having it sends the wrong message.

Plus...free, nothing. How much does it cost to maintain and operate that thing?

null

Jun 22, 2020, 12:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 533
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic