Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Word out of camp is hunter is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Word out of camp is hunter is

Apr 2, 2017, 8:19 AM

Widening the gap. Anxious to see the action Saturday. Feel like he may be our new QB. But Saturday will tell us where he is. But you can only think that if he's ahead now he'll only get more comfortable. What say ye?
GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Word out of camp is hunter is

Apr 2, 2017, 8:25 AM

This based on sources? Just curious

I would still be shocked to see anyone else but KB atop the depth chart once spring practice ends barring injury.

That being said, if Hunter is the best guy then he should start. He seems like a real cerebral guy which is crucial to this position. That was one of DW best traits. Knew where to go with the ball and always made sure we picked up the extra blitzers are got into the right call in the pre snap

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2017, 8:36 AM

Yes. They say he's finally slowed the game down And looks the most comfortable. Plus has run the offense consistently. My source will not have a voice in the matter. But said Johnson runs the first team like the starter. But as we all heard the same when DW was a freshmen. We'll have to see. Hopefully we wouldn't waist time on an older player that isn't as good. I feel for Kelly, but I've heard he's inconsistent at best when passing.
GO TIGERS!

Apr 2, 2017, 8:56 AM

I can see that. Read on a site a few months ago that when the coaches evaluated Hunter that he made a lot of those wow plays like DW used to make. Not to mention he tested off the charts (better than Cam Newton and DW) at the opening. He could be our next superstar

Apr 2, 2017, 9:01 AM

Also if the gap is widening now just imagine fall camp when he's had a summer to get more familiar with the offense and work on his own. I would like to see him add some weight before fall camp as he is somewhat frail looking

Apr 2, 2017, 8:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Word out of camp is hunter is ]

> This based on sources? Just curious
>
> I would still be shocked to see anyone else but KB
> atop the depth chart once spring practice ends
> barring injury.
>
> That being said, if Hunter is the best guy then he
> should start. He seems like a real cerebral guy which
> is crucial to this position. That was one of DW best
> traits. Knew where to go with the ball and always
> made sure we picked up the extra blitzers are got
> into the right call in the pre snap

The depth chart at the end of spring practice means very little as coaches uses it as a tool to motivate. I expect it to be very vanilla so certain QBs stay at least one more year rather than transfer over the summer.

Other than time in the program...

Apr 2, 2017, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Word out of camp is hunter is ]

what is it you've seen that leads you to believe Bryant would be the leader? Is it another Cole Stoudt situation? It was clear from day 1 that DW4 was the better, more talented QB who had the best chance of running to Morris/Elliot offense. Kelly Bryant has never shown that - ever. Unless he has gone through a drastic, miraculous transformation, I can't see him ever being the best choice for starting QB.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's amazing what full time coaches see that us fans can't

Apr 2, 2017, 10:19 AM

see. Guess that's why thy make the big bucks and win the natty.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2017, 8:27 AM

If Johnson gets the nod, in my heart I will feel for Bryant.

Unfortunately, though, I find myself pretty much a Roman citizen at the Coliseum:

Just give me the best gladiator who will slay seminoles, cardinals, fighting chickens and elephants, alike....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Apr 2, 2017, 9:06 AM

This happens when you go out and recruit the best every year. Bryant is a good qb who would start at a lot of schools. In the following years we went out and signed better qb prospects. Don't forget about Trevor Lawrence coming in next January. My hope is that the coaches have learned from past experiences that starting the upperclassman over the most talented qb is not a good idea.

Apr 2, 2017, 9:10 AM

Wondering what happens if Johnson lights it up this year do the coaches redshirt Lawrence next year? If we succeed this year it will be hard for Lawrence to unseat an incumbent starter unless he is just miles better. Good problem to have though

Bryant is a good athlete...

Apr 2, 2017, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Word out of camp is hunter is ]

From what I've seen so far when the live bullets are flying, he's not a quarterback at this level... at least not at Clemson. I have nothing against the guy; he was highly-recruited and I assumed, like most folks here, that Bryant would be the heir-apparent to DW4. But when Schuessler was named backup last season it clearly became unlikely that Bryant would ever start here as a QB.

Apr 2, 2017, 8:29 AM

Just wonder how the Watson/Stout situation will affect this decision. Still believe if Watson was the starter from day one, CU would have won the conference in 2014.

Or he could have been injured sooner. Coaches coach.***

Apr 2, 2017, 9:21 AM

Re: Or he could have been injured sooner. Coaches coach.***

Apr 2, 2017, 9:40 AM

Three notable games come to mind in September those being Auburn,Louisville, and Va Tech. Which qb on the roster can make all the throws and beat those team? That's your starter. Starting Stoudt against Georgia may well have cost us the game.

That Ga game, with DW4 playing just few minutes, blew my mind

Apr 2, 2017, 9:50 AM

in that everyone but CU coaches could see the talent difference but we had to play our starter out of seniority..and yes it "may" have cost us the game to Dawgs.

Stoudt did have a super 1st drive for a TD but leveled out during that game and seeing DW4 more would have been interesting.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watson wouldn't have won that game at UGA either.***

Apr 2, 2017, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Or he could have been injured sooner. Coaches coach.*** ]

Re: Watson wouldn't have won that game at UGA either.***

Apr 2, 2017, 9:57 AM

I personally think that game a difficult first game , even for watson. Johnson has a much easier first game.starting a freshmen is risky business. But this kid is another special player.
GO TIGERS!

Chad not being able to adjust his gameplan to the QB

Apr 2, 2017, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Or he could have been injured sooner. Coaches coach.*** ]

he had and the defense's inability to stop Gurly in the 4th cost us the game,

If Watson hadn't been injured and had been ABLE

Apr 2, 2017, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Word out of camp is hunter is ]

to participate in Spring Ball, he most likely would have been the starter. Otherwise, the coaches went with what they had.BUT,judging by what TE,JS & Streeter did with Cole against Oklahoma in the bowl game(that's a fact not opinion),Chad should have been able to adjust his gameplans to the QB he had. Otherwise,nitwits on the internet continuing to make remarks about the wrong QB starting(that's their opinion not a fact), without recognizing why Cole got the start are just that,F$#%^ng nitwits.

Coaches made a call...

Apr 2, 2017, 11:42 AM

and their call to start Stoudt was probably based on Watson's lack of practice in the spring, as you said. But given Deshauns's success in the UGA game, and the fact that he was the starter by the third game of the season, the call to EVER start Cole Stoudt now looks suspect. We have great coaches, but they aren't perfect. It's a big decision to start a true freshman QB.

And by the way, saying stuff like this:

Otherwise,nitwits on the internet continuing to make remarks about the wrong QB starting(that's their opinion not a fact), without recognizing why Cole got the start are just that,F$#%^ng nitwits.

makes you sound like a pompous dyckhead. It's a sports chatboard. People are always going to use 20/20 hindsight to second-guess coaches... so ease up.

Apr 2, 2017, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Word out of camp is hunter is ]

That was a Morris deal. He was more worried about other positions doing their task than developing the position he coached, QB. That year we had a ton of youth at every skill position and a suspect offensive line.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I watched him Friday at practice with the other 3 QB's

Apr 2, 2017, 9:53 AM

Aa a pure passer Johnson is way ahead of the others. He did have some batted balls at the los and a few bad reads and one WTH interception. He's a freshman and he looks like it some times.(a few dropped snaps during early drills and when the full scrimmage started he had some ??? moments) That being said he has all the tools to be a star. His accuracy is unreal. On a side note much later after practice he was bringing his playbook back to the complex to work.
Bryant is getting better throwing the ball. He has the speed to keep defenses off balance. (He's bulked up more too) It's definitely he and Johnson's battle from the practice I saw.
Cooper has a cannon but some of his throws are nowhere near the reciever and some are great.
Israel could start at a lot of D1 schools but out there with those other guys he looks out of place. Good problem to have.
Just from watching one practice (which means very little) it looks like Bryant starts and Johnson gets time and could either work his way in mid-season or if Bryant were to go down he could come in and take the spot and not give it up with performance.
For those worried about Bryant, he was throwing the ball pretty well and ...he's fast. Big and fast.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Re: I watched him Friday at practice with the other 3 QB's

Apr 2, 2017, 10:03 AM

Good notes! We don't need to play Auburns game last year like they did us. Revolving qbs are not a good idea.

Apr 2, 2017, 10:07 AM [ in reply to I watched him Friday at practice with the other 3 QB's ]

I commented a while back about Johnson and the others. This QB situation will take care of it's self. Johnson enrolled early to compete for the starting job and evidently is doing just that. Ending with a oft used cliche. "Cream always rises to the top."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2017, 10:13 AM

May be cliche but, Very true. I'm jacked about the spring game. Should be like a pre-season game. See the young guys make the squad.
GO TIGERS!

Apr 2, 2017, 10:26 AM [ in reply to I watched him Friday at practice with the other 3 QB's ]

Sounds like we're in good shape. If the game is already slowing down for Hunter then he'll be in good shape come fall practice when it really starts to determine the depth chart.

FYI Bryant's speed is a tangible trait.

Apr 2, 2017, 10:38 AM

Let's just ditch intangibles.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Apr 2, 2017, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Re: I watched him Friday at practice with the other 3 QB's ]

Assuming that our offensive style and plays stay the same, which qb can execute those plays effectively?

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic