Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Problem With Free College
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

The Problem With Free College

Feb 24, 2016, 3:51 PM

This is pretty good (written by a professor at GW): http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-problem-with-free-college/

Free college sounds terrific. Bernie Sanders has made it a central theme of his campaign. It was once the norm at our best public universities. They still do it in Germany and other European countries. Why not make American great again by eliminating increasingly burdensome tuition and other fees?

There are a number of arguments against free college. Among other concerns, it would subsidize families that can afford to pay and threaten institutional diversity. Perhaps the most serious problem, though, is that Americans don’t actually want the kind of stripped-down higher education that could be provided at public expense.

The European comparison is useful. A Washington Post piece recently praised Germany for allowing students from around the world to enroll at its universities without charge. What German universities offer in exchange was not discussed. More specifically, the piece didn’t mention the services German universities usually don’t provide. Here is a partial list:
•Sports.
•Dorms.
•Elaborate food and other amenities.
•Subsidized clubs and extracurricular activities.
•Academic remediation.
•Flexibility in majors.

German universities, in other words, are different from what most Americans have in mind when they think of college. Even the most famous are fairly spartan institutions, in which most students live at home or in private housing, with a minimum of academic and personal oversight. Classes are generally large lectures at which attendance is strictly optional. Graduation is based on rigorous exams rather than modular coursework. And students choose their subjects of concentration prior to enrollment, and switching is not easy.

These features are part of the reason German universities are free. Yes, Germans are more willing to support public higher education than Americans. But that’s not because they’re wildly profligate (a notably unGerman characteristic). It’s also because German universities are more limited in their tasks, and therefore cheaper to run, than their American counterparts. By the way, they don’t offer tenure to most of the faculty either.

That doesn’t mean that German universities are a bad deal. On the contrary, they’re excellent for academically prepared, emotionally mature students. But relatively few American students would flourish on the same terms. And they’re certainly not what Americans are encouraged to expect by the higher ed marketing industry.

We probably could have free college at a reasonable cost if more universities were subject to these limitations. But I’m not sure we would like the result. It’s one thing to hope for a free lunch. It’s another to expect to be served the whole menu.

Samuel Goldman is assistant professor of political science at The George Washington University.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We could easily afford all that and more

Feb 24, 2016, 3:57 PM

By slashing wasteful, pork-barrel defense spending. I know it's becoming a bit over-used on the Interwebs in light of this, but yeah, the debacle that is the F-35 fighter is a prime example. What an unnecessary piece of garbage that has cost us over a trillion.

I will also point out that Bernie Sanders supported this crap all while he pushes for free college, so he shoulders this blame as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Or cutting wasteful, frraud ridden entitlement programs.

Feb 24, 2016, 4:06 PM

Seems that would save even more money

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those "cuts" are really on future spending

Feb 24, 2016, 4:21 PM

The thing is, there really aren't any cuts big enough in the current budget to offset paying for free college (of the type we're used to) that would be acceptable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not going to happen

Feb 24, 2016, 4:19 PM [ in reply to We could easily afford all that and more ]

Defense spending isn't all "wasteful, pork-barrel spending," no matter how much libertarians and liberals hate defense spending.

A lot of it is...

Feb 24, 2016, 4:39 PM

And plenty of it can fund initiatives to make our society better. The F-35 cost is ridiculous. I'll also cite the case below. Even the Army said they didn't need the tanks, but Congress pushed ahead anyway.

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/09/army-to-congress-thanks-but-no-tanks/

Much of defense spending is wasteful, no matter how much so-called "fiscal conservatives" want to pretend it isn't.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

NO, I really don't think we can...

Feb 24, 2016, 5:04 PM [ in reply to We could easily afford all that and more ]

even if we ignore the down stream economic impact of giving everyone a free college education, we still have to run a budget SURPLUS for many years to put a dent in the national debt.

The goal can't be to just reduce the deficit or cut spending somewhere so we can have equal spending somewhere else.

So, I'm not disagreeing with the point that we need to cut wasteful defense spending...my only point is that we can't simply spend that money somewhere else.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NO, I really don't think we can...

Feb 24, 2016, 5:49 PM

you do understand that without some technological revolution in which the United States takes a commanding lead, we will never come close to taking a dent out of our national debt. There is not even enough money in the system to pay it off completely.

Back to the point, depriving proper education for the next generation of innovators is not a good way of getting out in front on this. It has to be seen as an investment, not an entitlement.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you just suggest that government NOT providing....

Feb 24, 2016, 8:58 PM

Free college education is "depriving proper education for the next generation of innovators "?

You can't seriously believe that can you?

As for the debt....what are youbtalkomg about? Not enough money in the system to make a dent?

Fed spending is about $4TT, revenue about $3.3TT and debt is in the range of $18TT and we can't make a dent in the debt? $500BB surplus would be a pretty good start!

Re: Did you just suggest that government NOT providing....

Feb 24, 2016, 9:37 PM

sure, I would love to see us take it the other direction, but the global economy is closer to 70 trillion in debt, and there is not that much money in existence. The difference is the money created out if thin air in the form of interest. This is why the fed has to keep printing more.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Umm...what?***

Feb 24, 2016, 10:00 PM

I agree that "depriving" isn't the right word.

Feb 25, 2016, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Did you just suggest that government NOT providing.... ]

However, I don't like how people think today's generation of college and high school kids are "entitled" because they want cheaper college (not saying you believe that; just speaking in general).

If anything, the government and previous generations are to blame for how easily they could get loans for college. This rang the dinner bell for universities to jack up costs. Just look at our own school. See how often Clemson looks to jack up tuition each year all while paying admin exuberant salaries?

The previous generations and the feds broke this system. It's time to give back to these kids.

Re: I agree that "depriving" isn't the right word.

Feb 25, 2016, 10:09 AM

But, how is it "cheaper" to just transfer the fees to taxpayers?

Shouldn't we try to find ways to lower the cost of college instead of just transferring the cost to taxpayers?

I am all for making college more affordable but transferring the costs doesn't get to the cause.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2016, 10:14 AM [ in reply to I agree that "depriving" isn't the right word. ]

." This rang the dinner bell for universities
> to jack up costs."

Wouldn't universities also Jack up costs if it was 100% government funded? Or does the government put a cap on payment?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2016, 10:22 AM [ in reply to I agree that "depriving" isn't the right word. ]

I worked at Clemson for a while...noone I saw was making "exuberant salaries". If anything, many were grossly underpaid in comparison to their private sector counterparts.

I know I took a pay cut to go to work there.

If you want good people, you'll have to pay them.

"Depriving"? Holy ####, it's already

Feb 24, 2016, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Re: NO, I really don't think we can... ]

Started with the, it's a right to have a college education ######## from libs that use that rhetoric to shame people into doing dumb ### things.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fair enough.

Feb 25, 2016, 9:12 AM [ in reply to NO, I really don't think we can... ]

But, IMO, the defense spending needs to be the first on the chopping block.

why don't they just make Phoenix University free

Feb 24, 2016, 4:21 PM

and call it a day.

Banks, who get their money essentially free, charge 7-9%

Feb 25, 2016, 9:21 AM

interest on student government loans. Isn't it strange how the banks and insurance companies always come out ahead?

You should go to the Sanders forum at U. of Chicago tonight.

Feb 25, 2016, 10:00 AM

I'm sure Matthews/ MSNBC would love to forward a derisive question on the topic.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic