Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Opinion - Etienne, Spiller, or other?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Opinion - Etienne, Spiller, or other?

Jul 22, 2020, 11:21 AM

No disrespect to any running back I haven't named as I know we've had several great ones. I just feel that the overall top two at most people's list would be ETN and Spiller.

Who do you feel is the best Clemson running back of all-time? If you could only have one of these guys on your team who would it be? I have several Clemson players near the top of my favorites overall including Watson, Lawrence, Wilkins, Boyd, and Dantzler, but I'd have to say that Spiller is my all-time favorite. I think I feel this way because Spiller as a 5 star recruit took a chance on Clemson before it was cool to do so. I have Boyd on my list as well for a similar reason btw. I think we owe a large part of our current success to Spiller for showing recruits that there was something special here. His coming back or his senior season and playing with a hurt toe for most of the season earned him even more of my respect.

With that said however, I think ETN is the better overall running back. ETN isn't quite the homerun threat Spiller was, but ETN is still a threat to score every time he touches the ball as well. Spiller was special in the kick and punt return game, but I feel ETN could be as well if we needed him to. I think ETN stands out above Spiller due to the way he reads the blocks and finds his running lanes. I'd also say it is more more difficult to bring ETN down once he's touched. Spiller was very difficult for a defender to get their hands on, but ETN is a pain to get down even after you get to him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Opinion - Etienne, Spiller, or other?

Jul 22, 2020, 11:28 AM

ET IMO is the best.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2020, 3:53 PM

Spiller overall

Amazing kickoff returner

Amazing catches

Amazing runs

and he didn't have the OL, qb or defense that ETN has

BUT ETN is amazing

so are the other rbs that are mentioned

WE WERE BLESSED

GO TIGERS

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ETN > Spiller

Jul 22, 2020, 11:32 AM

IMO anyway. ETN has definitely played with better players and behind a better OL, but he's averaging 7.8 YPC on his career vs Spiller's 5.9. And if you want to factor in the passing game and go "yards per touch" ETN is at 8.1 vs Spiller at 6.8.

Spiller did have the 8 kick return TDs in his career.

Re: ETN > Spiller

Jul 22, 2020, 11:37 AM

Agree, both behind the very same O line, both would be great RBs that no one would turn down!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2020, 11:33 AM

It will be hard for me to say bc they are two totally different style of RBs. CJ was a line him up anywhere and he could deliver, and ETN is a hard nose run through tackles type RB!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2020, 11:35 AM

I grew up wearing my #21 Terry Allen jersey to games he’s the OG; but, I gotta go with ETN. He’s averaging nearly 8 yards/carry on over 4500 yards and is in range to take a run at the NCAA career touchdown record. He and CJ will both be in the ring of honor one day.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since Spiller is the greatest individual football player

Jul 22, 2020, 11:43 AM

I have seen at Clemson, I will go with him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didnt we do this 2 days ago? Answer is Ronald Williams

Jul 22, 2020, 12:03 PM

Any 1 who says different can DIAF

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Didnt we do this 2 days ago? Answer is Ronald Williams

Jul 22, 2020, 1:00 PM

I was at the Clemson NC state game in 1991 as a kid when he got injured in pre-game warmups and really never was the same again. I was devastated by the injury because he was on the verge of a historic career. Unfortunately he didn’t get the chance so he’s not in the same category as CJ or ETN.

Also, when did telling someone “die in a fire” become the cool thing to say on the interwebs? Can someone explain the humor;I just don’t see it, its not even witty or creative.

Die in a fire? That is some harsh stuff.

Jul 22, 2020, 1:03 PM

I thought DIAF was short for the malt liquor saying..drink it and fart.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Die in a fire? That is some harsh stuff.

Jul 22, 2020, 1:17 PM

Sorry not the most accomplished acronym guy. The explanation I first read on the infamous urban dictionary was different:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=D.I.A.F.

Jul 22, 2020, 1:01 PM

Spiller playing with this OC and cast and crew would be much more dangerous. Dude was an AA on mediocre 8 and 9 win teams. He'd be a Heisman contender just like ETN if he had Trevor Lawrence as his QB instead of Will Proctor, Cullen Harper and Kyle Parker

No debate Terry Allen was the best to ever do it at Clemson

Jul 22, 2020, 1:26 PM

but i'd put ET above Spiller by a hair just because he's willing to stick his nose into traffic and get a tough yard whereas Spiller was not. But Spiller would have way more all purpose yards by now if he ran with these teams. Theres a big difference in having Trevor under center than will proctor.

Terry Allen had it all though....speed, power, catching ability,toughness...The way you know that is looking at not just his success at Clemson but his success in the NFL. Best NFL RB that Clemson ever produced. Had he not had those knee injuries he would have been a staple in the NFL.

I agree with Etienne and Spiller Others .....

Jul 22, 2020, 1:30 PM

At the top of my list are Allen, Flowers and Priester.

There were many talented RBs with us primarily running in the 70s and 80s

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”

? John Wayne

ETN, then Terry Allen, then Priester, then Spiller

Jul 22, 2020, 1:40 PM

Guess next would come Ellington, then James Davis.

But Spiller is maybe the fastest player to ever wear a Clemson uniform. With a football in pads, in a game, no one was ever faster IMO.

Anyway, between ETN and Spiller it's ETN. I'm not sure Spiller could have been better used at another position really. Much closer between ETN, Allen, and Priester.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2020, 1:41 PM

Hard to say. I've seen some really great RBs at Clemson. I never felt like Spiller got the touches he should have when Davis was here, taking nothing away from James, he was great in his own way, but to me, CJ was electric, and a threat to break it every time he touched the ball. His performance in the ACC championship will be hard to top. I wish he could have played in an Elliot/Scott offense. ET is also a special type that can go. I'll never forget his TD against ohio st. That was ET and nobody else. He wasn't going to be denied the goal line. I think that run got The Tigers going and changed the momentum of the game. Between those two, I'd be hard pressed to give a choice, both are two great ones.

To pay homage to some of the other greats; Flowers, Flaggler, Driver, Wes McFadden, Allen, Tracy Johnson,(won't ever forget the last drive against florida st. in the puntrooskie game. The man was a hoss), Kevin Mack, Ricochet Rabbit, and probably a bunch I can't remember. But Spiller and ET are at the top.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd take Spiller

Jul 22, 2020, 1:52 PM

ETN is clearly a better between-the-tackles runner and is much harder to bring down. Kind of a wash for home-run ability as either can take it to the house from anywhere on the field.

I'd give Spiller the nod though for his receiving and KR/PR abilities. He had the best hands of any RB I can remember at Clemson and that added threat to his game gives him the edge as a player.

For reference, ENT, to date, has 54 rec for 557 yards and 6TDs, good for 1.3 catches/game, 10.3 yds/catch and 13.2 yds/game.

Spiller had 123 rec for 1,420 yards and 11 TDs. That's 2.4 catches/game, 11.5 yds/catch, and 27.3 yds/game!

It's really win-win though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How quickly we forget???

Jul 22, 2020, 2:25 PM

Wayne Gallman became a beast while at Clemson.

I loved Gallman for his toughness but

Jul 22, 2020, 4:01 PM

he probably barely even cracks the top 10 for me. Of backs to play in this century I would have him behind ETN, Spiller, Ellington, and Davis for sure.

Priester. Same answer as a few days ago!***

Jul 22, 2020, 2:27 PM

Jul 22, 2020, 2:28 PM

Spiller but ETN may have a better pro career if he stays healthy.

Spiller was an excellent blocker and caught balls out of the backfield well.

We'd probably have seen Spiller have ETN like numbers if he were on this team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not ever close!***

Jul 22, 2020, 2:35 PM

Terry Allen - Far and away the best NFL RB from Tiger Town

Jul 22, 2020, 6:53 PM

With two prehistoric ACL surgeries (both knees). Amazing and tough player who hit the line hard. CJ had the misfortune to be drafted by Buffalo. Hopefully, uber-talented ETN will get a shot with a reputable team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1) Allen 2) ETN 3) Spiller***

Jul 22, 2020, 11:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2020, 10:48 PM

Lightening gets my nod, But Etienne is just plain special.

Lest we forget we almost lost Spiller his Sophomore year had James Davis not talked him out of leaving Clemson.

For that, I believe thunder ties lightening.

That’s some quantum rationalization, but deal with it!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I have to pick - Spiller

Jul 23, 2020, 8:44 AM

What he could do was simply amazing.
He is a better receiver, better return man, more speed, more moves.

ETN is probably better after contact. He could close the gap if he becomes a better receiver.

We have many more tools than when spiller was around, not just O line. Defense tried to stop him, keyed. While they do some of the same with ETN, IMO, not the same. Better outside receivers, better QB play, spreads the defense out for ETN.

Spiller wasn't great at running between the tackles though

Jul 23, 2020, 11:33 AM

He danced a lot and seemed to struggle finding the crease and committing to it. He was a terrific all-around play-maker which puts him up there with ETN for me, but ETN is much better as a pure RB.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic