Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
#1 class or not - Dabo sees much bigger picture
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,859

#1 class or not - Dabo sees much bigger picture

May 8, 2019, 3:23 AM

Dabo has said before he's never had a #1 rated class & might never have one.

Whether that happens, I'm sure that's far down the list of what he'd like to achieve. No doubt recruiting A+ talent is a major goal, but he wants talent & character - maybe leaning a bit more toward character.

Likely no coach or program in the country does a better job of creating a "team culture." ALL IN also means "ALL FOR ONE." A high 'star rating' might put a player on CU's radar, but the character, coachability & selflessness lead to offers from Clemson.

If it were only up to how high recruiting classes are, CU probably would never have reached the playoffs 4 years straight or won 2 national titles recently. Class rankings don't factor the biggest component - character.

The last thing (but not the least) - Dabo wants to mold successful people who enjoy great success in football, but he also wants their success to continue their whole lives. Now THAT - pays off huge in the present or short-term - but it really is a - BIG PICTURE.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only thing less important than score at half.........

May 8, 2019, 3:58 AM

ESPN opinion of a recruiting class.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: #1 class or not - Dabo sees much bigger picture

May 8, 2019, 7:24 AM

I know he’s looking countrywide now in hopes of creating people who can go back to their communities and spread their services around but I hope he keeps bringing some S.C. guys into the program as well.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Completely Agree with you!

May 8, 2019, 12:55 PM

huhud82® I could not have said it better!

I login and am always amazed at how much some of my fellow CU fans want this #1 class! Seems with the #12 and #7 or so class we have done alright. Out-performing all those classes ranked ahead of them. How many more 5 star bust does it take before it's "buyer beware"!

The fact CU and Coach Swinney "only even offer about 190 kids compared to around 335 for Georgia and Alabama should tell the story!
Very selective to about who gets offered or not. Reminds me of Duke vs. Kentucky in basketball. Only the more preppy well rounded astute talent go to Duke. Kentucky gets 5 star talent but they made be "rough around the edges"! Jalen Rose said explained it in the story of the Fab 5.
I think Coach Swinney keeps to that formula. Now, if a kid also so happens to be a 5 star, well that helps!
But, a 3 star kid who they like, would get just as much opportunity to start if they prove it in practice. If they prove it in the weight room and it transitions over to the field; they get to play!

All the higher ranked classes this last group of seniors beat should be(but somehow isn't) a cautionary tale about why, "it's not just about the star next to a kids name"!

Look at an NFL game and look at where some of the players are from> all aren't from P5 schools. Many are from very small schools. Carolina Panthers have a starting CB that came from Samford. I couldn't tell you where that school is. I could google it; but you get the point.
It's how hard these guys are willing to compete that's important! The coaches deserve a ton of credit for cultivating talent and actually getting guys to play above their star level. 5 stars included.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,859
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic