Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Only 2 original ACC teams on our schedule this year. What's the point!?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Only 2 original ACC teams on our schedule this year. What's the point!?

Jan 26, 2016, 4:19 PM

I just realized that we only play 2 original ACC teams this year (3 if you count SCAR). Sure, we have GT and FSU on the schedule, but what is the ACC now?!

I guess it's the same nearly every year, but it's a shame the founding members of a 60+ year old conference don't get to play a fraction of the institutions that they founded the conference on. It's now more evident than ever that we need to split to North/South divisions.

We play the same number of SEC teams (Aub/SC) as we do original ACC teams (NCSU/Wake). GT/FSU have been around for a while, got it, but 4 friggin Big East teams!?! How did we let this happen???

I must have just overlooked it the past few years with UGA, ND, Miami, etc on the schedule, but it just literally sank in today. It kind of makes me sick to my stomach, but I know there is nothing I can do. I just simply don't understand how we got here. I despise UNC and UMD, but I did hate to see UMD go. I hate not playing UVA, UNC, UMD, even Duke every year. As bad as some of those programs are at the moment, you can't tell me you wouldn't be more excited for a game against any of the original ACC members than teams like BC, Syracuse, Pitt, even Louisville - we have NO history with those programs and virtually nothing in common with those institutions.

As much dislike as I have for other the other original ACC schools, I feel like we're family. The conference has been our home for over half a century and WE, collectively - for better or worse - built the conference from the same common beliefs and goals. No one program is solely responsible for the shape the ACC is in, we are where we are because of our collecetive family decisions (you could call it bad parenting - aka bad management). But the stepchildren have moved into the house and we're just expected to get along like we've known each other our entire lives. I can't do it.

Sorry for the rant. I actually think the schedule sets up well. I think I may have mentioned that I would like to see more UNC, UVA, Duke on the schedule - but it is what it is. Bring on Auburn. Bring on Troy. Bring on the entire Big East. Doesn't ultimately matter who we play. We are Clemson.

I'll see you clowns at every stop along the way. From Jordan-Hare to Raymond-James! #ALLIN #goacc

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Only 2 original ACC teams on our schedule this year. What's the point!?

Jan 26, 2016, 4:25 PM

A couple years ago I mentioned this was coming when the released the cross division games. The last few years playing teams like UGA and UNC have kept us close to home. We are following that up by playing the big east rotation.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

^^^^^ Makes a lot of good points--+1

Jan 26, 2016, 4:27 PM

As in the whole thing! We are now the SNAC, Swofford Non-Academic Conference

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with everything you're saying, but having

Jan 26, 2016, 4:36 PM

Auburn, South Carolina, Georgia Tech, NC State, Florida State do at least make it still seem like a southern schedule. And remember, the name Louisville may not ring out like Texas AM, but they are better than the Aggies and beat pretty good this bowl season. Louisville is a legit southern football school.

Last year's schedule had a better look because we played and beat: Florida State, Notre Dame, Miami, South Carolina, Georgia Tech and in the end beat North Carolina and Oklahoma.

How many teams could have beaten Oklahoma, Florida State, Notre Dame, Miami, in the same year?

so you defend the schedule... but criticize our

Jan 26, 2016, 4:39 PM

recruiting...

did you decide to quit Iptay?

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

^^ grudge holder.***

Jan 26, 2016, 4:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I don't think that was her

Jan 26, 2016, 4:50 PM

grudge

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

God, some of you hang on every word. Never dreamed

Jan 26, 2016, 7:08 PM [ in reply to so you defend the schedule... but criticize our ]

there'd ever be a forum where my every word struck passion in the hearts of men, or are you a woman. It's really funny. I've got a couple on here that are still heartbroken about a post I made two years ago. They need to get over it.

Oh, I'm not downlaying he competition at all. It's a history thing

Jan 26, 2016, 4:47 PM [ in reply to I agree with everything you're saying, but having ]

I respect UofL as a formidable foe come kickoff. But the series doesn't hold a candle to Clemson/UMD in the historical sense. It was fun flat out hating the Twerps. I don't have anything against UofL and that's not cool.

Same goes for the others. Replace UVA with Syracuse? Duke with BC? UNC with Pitt?

Nah, give me back the old ACC that we used to own. I get more excited seeing Wake on the schedule than Pitt.

Yeah, I said it! I <3 Wake!!!!! Wake is just too cute to hate (btw thx to Wake for the whole Tommy Bowden thing)....

I keep saying that the ACC needs to switch 2 teams to the

Jan 26, 2016, 4:47 PM

opposite division each year and back again the next- that way every team would play every other team at least twice every 7 years in addition to the current rotation. If they move the 2 "traditional rivals" i.e. Clemson-GT, they could still be the crossover matchup but would trade division teams once every 7 years and also play each team from the other division when it was their time to switch in the 7 year cycle.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

then the ACC schedule wouldn't come out until July.***

Jan 26, 2016, 4:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Why not just North/South. GEOGRAPHY! Or ACC/Big East - same thing

Jan 26, 2016, 4:57 PM [ in reply to I keep saying that the ACC needs to switch 2 teams to the ]

ACC/South:

Original members and GT/FSU (minus one NC school if we're staying at 14 teams). It's not fair to anyone, but it's the only practical thing. Maybe we could rotate out for a two-year stint in the other division.

Big East/North:

Big East schools + 1 ACC school on a rotating two-year period.

Or whatever! Missed the boat on autonomy. Could've had an 8-team division and a 6-team division for all I care. It'll just take some getting used to before I'm ever comfortable seeing UL, BC, Syracuse, Pitt in the same year!

Re: Why not just North/South. GEOGRAPHY! Or ACC/Big East - same thing

Jan 26, 2016, 6:58 PM

All it'll take to infuse some hatred is to actually lose to UL, Syr, Pitt and the hatred we all have for founding members will be realized. After all I have begun to feel about BC what I feel for Duke. Time brother...... Time. Of course I would be just fine myself NOT knowing what it is like on the losing side and merely wishing I had a better sense of kinship with them.......

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why not just North/South. GEOGRAPHY! Or ACC/Big East - same thing

Jan 26, 2016, 11:38 PM

Totally fine with not finding out for a while! Don't have a reason to hate them and I'm definitely not actively searching for a reason.

If you don't hate Pitt, I guess you aren't old enough to

Jan 27, 2016, 12:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Why not just North/South. GEOGRAPHY! Or ACC/Big East - same thing ]

remember the 1977 Gator Bowl?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you don't hate Pitt, I guess you aren't old enough to

Jan 27, 2016, 12:54 AM

Fortunately, no, I'm not old enough to remember '77. I do slightly remember the '96 Gator Bowl vs Syracuse, though (I was only 8 years old at the time). But.....the mid-90's weren't exactly the gold years of Clemson program...

Re: Only 2 original ACC teams on our schedule this year. What's the point!?

Jan 27, 2016, 1:06 AM

I welcomed VT into the ACC. I was neutral about Miami. The rest of the former Big East teams have no business in ACC football.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic