Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tractor buying question:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Tractor buying question:

Jul 12, 2018, 5:33 PM

Just bought 32 acres. Will make small garden clear out a couple hunting plots and clear an area to hunt for bow (small). My father in law trying to talk me into buying small tractor (John Deere 1025 r? That’s about 19 k with what I want on it. Question is do you have bargaining power with tractors like you do cars or are they typically not very negotiable?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tractor buying question:

Jul 12, 2018, 5:36 PM

Don’t buy new. Plenty of good older tractors out there. The new JDs are junk

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What brand do you recommend?***

Jul 12, 2018, 5:38 PM

Re: What brand do you recommend?***

Jul 12, 2018, 10:14 PM

Older JD. I have a 50 hp from the 70s. Paid 7 grand wouldn’t trade for nothing

Agreed. We had to trade our JDs in for Kubotas recently

Jul 12, 2018, 5:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Tractor buying question: ]

because we had so many problems with them. The Kubotas have less frills and they use thinner steel in some places like the steps, but they run well and we haven't had a single issue with any of them yet.

Re: Agreed. We had to trade our JDs in for Kubotas recently

Jul 12, 2018, 10:30 PM

About all diesel engines are the same and the main concern will be horse power, so don't under HP, it's always better to have more than you need than not enough!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In event I need one occasionally for bigger jobs I do have access to his***

Jul 12, 2018, 5:36 PM

Re: In event I need one occasionally for bigger jobs I do have access to his***

Jul 12, 2018, 5:46 PM

Talk to your accountant also. You may be able to count the cost of your tractor off of your taxes if you use it for maintaining crops, etc. I thought about doing the same thing. I have 60 acres but I can pay someone about $500 a year to bush hog and plant my food plots. That is a whole lot cheaper than buying a tractor. However, the above poster is correct. A used tractor is a whole lot cheaper and there is a big selection. Get a copy of the weekly Carolina Trader. It has tons of used tractors in it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go bigger. That is a toy for big yards, not acreage.

Jul 12, 2018, 5:39 PM

Check these out.

http://www.sparrowkennedy.com/package-specials/tractor-packages/#specialad-37

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Tractor buying question: good Qweshun!!!!

Jul 12, 2018, 5:40 PM

What you're wanting to do, you've got to have all the accessories--drag harrow, lay-off plow, disc harrow, bush hog, box scrape, etc.

Find a good used Massey/Ford/New Holland for a decent price. You'll have to put almost the same $$$ into implements....plus getting them there from wherever....

Jul 12, 2018, 5:43 PM

Our family still has a 1952 8N(40 hp)Ford that will still do pretty much what's needed. Will pull a 10 disc harrow, a 6 foot bush hog. Check the hydraulics and PTO out good b4 you buy.

Jul 14, 2018, 6:25 PM

I have 582 acres in South Carolina. Use it mostly for timber, a few corn squash and zucchini crops, hunting and more hunting. I have two ford 8N’s (early 1950’s), a Ford jubilee (early 1950’s) a 1948 Farmall Model A. All of these are in good working order and perform some functions as well as fun.

However 99% of all of my work is performed with a John Deere 65 horse power and a John Deere 32 horse power. If you are inexperienced with tractors, buy new or used with low hours. Buy a brush hog rather than a bush hog. The brush hog you will never tear up, but the Bush Hogg will hit stumps and rocks and break.

I bought each of the John Deere’s used with about 200 hours on them. Got a great discount and still got to deduct them 100% in one year.

As for the older tractors on my farm, I have an 83-year-old uncle and many of his friends who spend their time happily working on them and keeping them running. If you don’t have that labor pool available to you, skip the vintage tractors.

Jul 12, 2018, 5:50 PM

You could just put A snow blade on the Jeep and tow a woods motor/mowing deck all in one!

My advice is do a lot of research by checking tractor forums and asking guys that work their tractors daily which diesel tractors they would suggest and how many hours before the first rebuild or major work.

My suggestion is get a used diesel one with all the attachments with 5,000 to 8,000 hours on it if you can verify regular maintenance 4x4 preferred.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jul 12, 2018, 6:03 PM

Kubota

Jul 12, 2018, 6:07 PM

I am a fan of Kubota tractors. If your looking to buy new, drive to Roger's Outdoor equipment in Piedmont. They sell Kubota tractors and Stihl chainsaws. I live on 45 acres and have learned that a sturdy chainsaw is a necessity. Hope this helped and congrats on the purchase! Go Tigers!!!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One word --- Kubota

Jul 12, 2018, 6:21 PM

Wilson's Tractor in Newberry has some awesome package deals and the people are awesome too !!! __ they will work you up a package deal,with all the implements you need, plus a trailer to haul it with ***

https://www.wilsontractorsc.com/

Re: One word --- Kubota

Jul 12, 2018, 6:32 PM

Cool! Didn't know there was a Kubota store around their!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2018, 6:54 PM

I purchased a leased 5055E JD with 50 hours from Greenville Turf and Tractor this year for half the price of a new tractor. Also came with a 5 year warranty. Could not be happier.

Jul 12, 2018, 7:05 PM

Ha, food plots? That’s like going to Hollywild animal park and shooting deer out of the driver side window with a cup full of corn lol!

^^^ not a hunter***

Jul 12, 2018, 7:14 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^^ not a hunter***

Jul 12, 2018, 7:17 PM

A hunter, just enjoy it naturally instead of taking the sport out of it.

I think if you check with CLEMSON you will find that you

Jul 12, 2018, 7:50 PM

should devote 1-3% of your management area to Food Plots at minimum. I here you, but nutrition is more and more a problem for game management nowadays. Lots of options on how to accommodate that, but plots is the easiest. I'm managing 1200 acres - fortunate to have ag fields in the blend but have year round plots from .2 to 2 acres throughout the timber. I can tell you if you are looking for a big rack, don't bother with the plots - they a lot smarter than that except rut - in which case it could be anywhere.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^^ not a hunter***

Jul 12, 2018, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Re: ^^^ not a hunter*** ]

You have no clue. Me peta

test

Jul 12, 2018, 11:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Tractor buying question: ]

test

Jul 12, 2018, 7:16 PM

Last time I checked Kubota had good financing, like 0.9% or so if you need to buy new

Jul 12, 2018, 7:20 PM

Used is the way to go, Ford or Kamatsu. For the acreage 20hp is all u need. Will pull a 10 disk harrow or a 6’ bushog. Healthy hydraulics and PTO essential though.

20 hp may pull a 6 ft bush hog, but not very well. Get

Jul 16, 2018, 2:22 AM

something in the 45-50 hp range! If you are willing to go with an older tractor, there is none better than a Massey Ferguson 165. Has a 3 cylinder Perkins diesel that is the most fuel efficient engine ever made...you will think it doesn't use any fuel at all! Can often find them in the five to six thousand range, pricewise.

Jul 12, 2018, 7:21 PM

Check the SC Market Bulletin for some good deals on tractors and implements.

OK - for what you have...

Jul 12, 2018, 7:34 PM

that is a very small hunting / farm area. I would definitely not go new on your tractor. JD are more up front but you really get it on repair/parts - anything Green is expensive. Take a look at New Holland as well.

Implements and attachments are critical - so I'd be sure to have front and rear hydraulics - I see a front end loader in your future.

4WD is a BIG plus. Honestly I wouldn't even consider anything else.

Bush Hog, Sprayer (unless you have something for your Polaris / 4 Wheeler), Disc Harrow or Rippers (or a small Perfecta), Broadcast spreader, Cultipacker.

You DEFINITELY need quality food plots if you intend to hold deer from surrounding property.

it’s in Arkansas (where I live now) so general info is helpful

Jul 12, 2018, 7:41 PM

But likely to not buy it in sc. it borders 250 acres of fame and fish and I see deer almost every time I go out there. Last week saw 6 crossing onto property and sat saw one. Won’t be my main hunting area because have another spot with wife’s family but I’d like to bow hunt it

ARKANSAS? #### the whole thing in and shoot Ducks!

Jul 12, 2018, 8:14 PM
IMG_1860.JPG(205.5 K)

FWIW - I get most of my work done with a 35 year old Case International 495. Worth 5K at best but runs like a champ.

here it is with hot chick driving - :)

#### vs Dyke***

Jul 12, 2018, 8:15 PM

Yeah hope to get into turkey and duck. It borders on a game and fish lake and

Jul 13, 2018, 9:20 AM [ in reply to ARKANSAS? #### the whole thing in and shoot Ducks! ]

It is one of the known local areas to hunt. And some of wife’s family said they know there used to be turkey because they used to hunt there but nobody has hunted there in years for turkey and unsure if any now. I’ll set up some game cams and be in the woods so hopefully I’ll see some

Yes, find a good used one.

Jul 12, 2018, 7:48 PM

And a good friend who knows all about them.

"Good" is the important word in both sentences.

In fact, find the friend first so he can help you find a good tractor.

Before you buy, search on the internet to find all the problems with the model you're looking for and make sure they're not show stoppers, or have been fixed.

Of course, I know you're smart enough to know that the "good" deals don't last long in the internet age.

Jul 12, 2018, 9:38 PM

instead of a new tractor look for a good used small John Deere tractor and you will save yourself a ton of money.... a 50 HP tractor will be able to do every thing you want on a small farm.......Go Tigers!!!!!!

Jul 12, 2018, 10:11 PM

We bought 80 acres last fall and started shopping for tractors right away. The following are my opinions and reflect my education going from knowing nothing about tractors less than a year ago.

I started looking at used, off brand tractors trying to save money, I realized a few things in my research:
1. Off brand tractors don't have the same level of support or quality materials/craftsmanship
2. I didn't know enough about tractors to be able to evaluate whether a used tractor has issues or not
3. Everyone that owns a Kubota loves it and keeps it forever unless they need a bigger one

So I'll skip ahead, bought a new Kubota about three weeks ago and absolutely love it. 0 down and 0% financing makes it way too easy. Good discounts on the selling price, but really not room for negotiation. You can compare prices online but really tough to get apples to apples because there are so many options.

Attachments and implements are expensive new or used. Got a loader with a 3rd function and root grapple to move piles of debris and clear some areas + box blade, rotary cutter, & disc harrow. After 1 day out in the full sun 90+ degree heat ordered a canopy. Spreading lime this weekend so picking up a spreader tomorrow.

Hope to get to a point where I have everything I need and this stuff lasts forever, but right now it feels like it will never end. Need a sprayer, cultipacker next for planting, then what?

Fun as can be though, can't wait to get out there on Saturday.

Great response, thank you!***

Jul 12, 2018, 11:22 PM

I wouldn't buy a spreader to spread lime, if you have

Jul 16, 2018, 2:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Tractor buying question: ]

a fertilizer retailer in the area. When applying lime, you are usually looking at applying at least 1 ton per acre, that's a lot of trips with a small spreader, if you have 80 acres to lime. You can buy the lime, including spreading, for about 30 bucks a ton. Let the pros do it with a large spreader truck!

Jul 12, 2018, 10:18 PM

Kubota ..... bought mine in 09 with 3 tears finance at 0% interest. Unlike autos, the price was the same as if I had paid cash, so why not finance it. It has been a great tractor ..... around 36 HP .... use a 72" finish mower on it.

Jul 13, 2018, 9:07 AM

Several good responses here. I bought a used 30HP New Holland about 10 years ago and it only had 300 hours on it. It has been an awesome tractor. I owned one tract that was 40 acres and another 15 acre tract. I also keep up a hunt club road system with it. I have since sold the 40 acre tract.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned, and maybe I missed it, is the transmission you choose. Older tractors will have standard gears, clutch, etc. Many newer tractors (within 15-20 years old) have hydrostatic transmission as an option. While you lose a little power while plowing or pulling a disc, the tradeoff, IMO, is worth it for the convenience of mowing. I have the hydrostatic drive in mine and it is so simple, and safer, than a standard transmission. Going forward, then reverse, then headed back the other direction very quickly is so nice. Speed control is great, too, especially when working hunting land and not manicured farmland.

You should drive one with the standard transmission and then one with hydrostatic drive and see which you prefer. If hydrostat costs a couple thousand more, you will not regret it. Everyone that gets off an older tractor and gets on mine, raves about the difference. Oh, power steering makes a world of difference when mowing and general operation.

Good luck with your new purchase. It's very rewarding to work your own piece of dirt.

Jul 13, 2018, 9:14 AM

Kubota or Mahindra---both are good.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Jul 13, 2018, 10:33 AM

What ever you get, you will need a 3 or 4 row bottom plow, depending on horse power for how many row plow you get, a set of disc depending on horse power, and at least a 4 row planter for planting things like beans and things that Deer love to eat, if you want to do it right. And soybean plots scattered around your acreage will bring Deer on your land from other places that don't have the beans and thing deer love eating. You will always see Deer families hanging out around soybean fields, and if you're going to have Dove shoots, plant some corn on about 4 or 5 acres, and Deer love corn also but, they love the beans better :). But anyway, what do I know, I haven't hunted anything in many of years. But Good Luck with how ever you get to the end results that will serve you the best!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I farmed over 400 acres for 35 years, and never used a

Jul 16, 2018, 2:40 AM

bottom plow! All you need is a disc harrow, and either a subsoiler or chisel plow.

Jul 13, 2018, 12:55 PM

I live about a mile from campus in Clemson on a little over 3 wooded acres. I bought a new Deere 2025 in 2016 that I have really enjoyed. I pull a Bush Hog and a Box Scraper with mine as well as pulling a trailer when I cut and haul wood. I also looked at Kubota. They sure make nice stuff too. Seems like my 2025 was $16,500. Send me a note if you have questions.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

build an impoundment. invite me down

Jul 13, 2018, 12:58 PM

:)

Best Is The Standard

Jul 14, 2018, 5:57 PM

Honestly depends what you plan to do. Like others have said, used cheaper, by a lot. Funny enough. Larger tractors aren’t much more than used small ones bc demand fo “home owner” tractors is so high. If you have space and room for larger, do it. 40-70 is a great range. You’ll never need more than that unless you’re plowing 100acre fields for crops.

Regarding brands, Kubota all day long. Only advantage to Deer is you can get parts overnight. Unless you’re running a farm where that matters, the few extra days won’t matter. Plus the Kubota is ORANGE!!! Little white paw on the side and you’re ready to go lol.

Jul 15, 2018, 8:06 PM

All I can say is do not buy a tractor that uses the engine\transmission as a mount for any back hoe attachment.
Go for a tractor that has a sub frame designed for that purpose.
Never go too small. The only reason to get a lightweight tractor is if you don't want it to tear up your yard.
So go bigger and always go 4x4 or MFWD.
The best price vs performance is going to be Mahindra or Branson.
New Hollands are well represented in the aftermarket (parts) as they are Ford tractors.

Personally I own a New Holland LS170 Skid Steer but I don't use it to cut grass or bush hog.

Message was edited by: NarfleTheGarthok®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2018, 9:26 PM

A PTO is a must

If you are looking at something without a PTO, you aren't

Jul 16, 2018, 2:44 AM

really looking at a tractor, you are looking at a toy!

Jul 17, 2018, 4:55 PM

i own a caseIH and Kubota Dealership in Dillon SC. prices are very negotiable. if you are just piddling buy a kubota. was an Sae at Clemson from !990 1993. kicked out and graduated fROM cOFc . gRANDFATHER, his brother , dad, brother, nephew all graduated. Granddad in HOF . Gordon Lynn. if you want a tractor do not but a JD3025. junk. get a Kubota L2501hst w/ a loader and hog for about 19,000.

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic