Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One think I always admired Tommy Bowden for was the way he
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

One think I always admired Tommy Bowden for was the way he

Oct 6, 2020, 10:36 AM

handled it when Davis temporarily left the team due to homesickness and headed back to Atlanta. TB hit the road in pursuit and in no time brought his star runningback back to the team where he belonged. Tommy made a few crazy moves in his time here but he was right to pursue Davis and make sure all his hard work recruiting him paid off the best it could.

This is not about TB as a gameday coach or anything else other than a leader being a leader and leaving the flock to chase the one who wandered away. It paid off needless to say and I would like to have seen at least an assistant do the same to go after Bowman.

I think Bowman was far from lost for good and a good effort by Dabo, Spiller or especially Jeff Davis could've made a tremendous difference as we now might end up facing Bowman down the road and that young man has primo talent.

Flame away I can take it but I stand by my comment and from I hear he might've just needed a little special attention at a difficult time and when we have "coaches" or "advisors" on staff to take care of this type thing it's a shame more effort wasn't made.

If there was more effort and I've been misinformed then I apologize but I've heard we could've done better. IMO as much as I like Darian Rencher Bowman deserves more touches in terms of the future than a fifth year player on his way out.

Just my opinion and what is done is done but I'm disappointed Bowman, after all the hard work put in to get this young man, will not play another down in a Clemson Tiger uniform. Just disappointed.

GO TIGERS!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers!

Oct 6, 2020, 10:37 AM

Beat Miami!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: One think I always admired Tommy Bowden for was the way he

Oct 6, 2020, 10:48 AM

I don't think any of us knows how much effort was expended to retain Bowman or just how unhappy Bowman was. I implicitly trust our coaching staff and the culture surrounding the program.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2020, 10:56 AM

A kid whose mind is less than 100% made up to leave does not commit to his new school within the week of leaving his previous program.

Bowman knew exactly what he wanted when he told the coaches what he was doing.

Bringing back Davis and putting him on the field immediately was an easy way to convince him Clemson was the right place.

There aren't 10-15 carries sitting around to hand to Bowman to convince him that Clemson is the place for him.

Dabo, or whoever you wish would have convinced him, had nothing to sell but to sit here and keep waiting.

By all accounts he has been worse than ETN, Dixon, Mellusi, and Pace up to the point he decided to leave. What happens to the rest of the team if you throw Bowman extra playing time in front of any of these guys just to make him happy.

Tommy did the right thing, but so did Dabo. If the kid is unhappy with his situation and there is no way to change it, then let him go.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2020, 11:03 AM

Not saying it is good or bad, but there really are no repercussions for a player to change their mind now. Davis would have had to sit out a year after transferring, lost a year of eligibility, and Clemson could have listed certain schools that Davis could not have transferred to.

If Bowman cried loud enough today, the NCAA would probably allow him to be the starting RB for Florida this coming Saturday!

I admired how he broke down and quivered his lips during

Oct 6, 2020, 10:56 AM

Half time speeches.

Thankfully Batson took over for him after that

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

etched in my memory...

Oct 6, 2020, 11:47 AM

was the way JD cried when Tommy was fired.

I like Tommy as a man until after he left. I have been surprised at the bitterness he seems to have now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think he is bitter

Oct 6, 2020, 12:15 PM

but he obviously wanted things to turn out differently while he was our coach.

He isn't a great communicator, as you know, so I don't think he should be counted on to verbalize his appreciation for Clemson on a consistent basis.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

So what effort was made? Do you have inside info on this

Oct 6, 2020, 11:52 AM

because your post certainly implies that you do.

Dabo did meet with Bowman and tried to get him to reconsider

Oct 6, 2020, 12:13 PM

but Bowman had already made up his mind.

Obviously our coaches had big plans for him and wanted him to stay. They didn't just let him leave without trying to have a conversation with him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

A couple of points for clarification...

Oct 6, 2020, 12:18 PM

Spiller was not in Atlanta. He was home in Lake Butler, Florida which was only about thirty minutes from Urban Meyer and the University of Florida. You may recall, Urban invited Spiller to his home to watch the Super Bowl. Not sure how involved Bowden was in convincing Spiller to stay at Clemson. I had always heard it was actually Dabo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: A couple of points for clarification...

Oct 6, 2020, 12:21 PM

I'm pretty sure he was talking about James Davis who did the same thing.

D'oh...reading is fundamental !!!!***

Oct 6, 2020, 12:58 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic