Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
From a Razorback fan...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

From a Razorback fan...

Oct 23, 2018, 5:31 PM

I’m a die hard Razorback fan and use the same handle over on our message board at hogville. I don’t know if any other Razorback fans have ventured over here or not (I haven’t searched through your forum to check and feel free to direct me to those threads if this has been asked here before). I’m trying to get a sense of what Clemson fans think of our coach chad Morris. Personally, after looking up his coaching history and background after we hired him, I think he was a great hire for our program and expect that we will have success with him at the helm in the future (our incoming recruiting class is shaping up to be the best one we’ve had since they started rating recruits). Of course year one has been pretty painful but I attribute it to a complete overhaul of our offensive and defensive schemes and complete culture change from our previous coaching regime, as well as talent disparity compared to the rest of the sec (poor recruiting from previous regime). On paper it appears he has done very well, especially regarding his offensive approach when he was OC, at previous stops. Just wanted to get a feel for how you guys view him as a coach and person as over on our forum, we have a lot of fans who were disappointed with the hire and are upset that we aren’t competing for a national championship in year one. Thanks guys!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I loved chad Morris and wish him well at Arkansas

Oct 23, 2018, 5:37 PM

I also really like Fayetteville so would love to see the Hogs rise up.

My one criticism of Morris is that sonetimes when something was clearly not working, it seemed like there was either an unwillingness or inability to adjust. Maybe that's just me.

I do think he's a smart guy, a good recruiter, and a good man. Give him some time and I think you'll be happy with the results on the field and a program you can be proud of.

Good luck!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I loved chad Morris and wish him well at Arkansas

Oct 23, 2018, 6:11 PM

He needs really good talented players to do what he wants. If the recruiting is picking up at Arky, that’s a good sign.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: From a Razorback fan...

Oct 23, 2018, 5:38 PM

I loved Chad Morris! I hated to see him go. He gave an identity to Clemson’s offense when we had none. Sometimes he got a little to cute with trick plays and such, but this was one of the best hires Dabo has made (besides Coach Venables) . If Chad can get a defense going and bring in some Offensive weapons, he runs a scheme that is hard to stop.

Message was edited by: Touch_The_Rock79

Morris

Oct 23, 2018, 5:39 PM

was a great hire for us, helped get us going in the right direction and was an amazing recruiter.

Hogs are now my favorite team in the ACC. I'm rooting for him, just gotta give him some time.

As we all know most message board posters are doom and gloom after even 1 loss.

Good Luck the rest of the way

Re: Morris

Oct 23, 2018, 5:41 PM

When did the hogs join the ACC ???

Oct 23, 2018, 5:41 PM

I think it was a great hire! I can't say I've kept up with y'alls program in the past few years but from what I've heard the previous offensive scheme was very different from what Morris likes to run. Give him some time to get players that fit his scheme and I think he can succeed. As a person I thought he was great and from what I've understood players loved playing for him. Will be pulling for Coach Morris and Arkansas in the future!

You got a good coach. I personally think a school should

Oct 23, 2018, 5:42 PM

give a coach five years before they evaluate him...assuming they see gradual improvements and the program going backwards.

Oct 23, 2018, 5:43 PM

I like Chad and will pull for him at Arkansas. He definitely had his shortcomings as our OC but I'm thankful for his contributions to Clemson. I'm actually thinking about trying to come see a game there next year. Good luck the rest of the year and next

Morris is a very solid hire for y’all. He has Texas HS ties,

Oct 23, 2018, 5:44 PM

Which is huge for y’all. Like you said, he had to be given time to overhaul the roster after what BB recruited there. I do think most Clemson fans want to see Morris do well, but some are a little surprised that he sounds exactly like Dabo now in the way he talks to the media and such. But I wish him well, and hopefully he’ll challenge Bama in the west soon(they struggle with mobile quarterbacks and spread offense). Good luck to y’all

Oct 23, 2018, 5:45 PM

I loved Chad Morris as an OC and hated to see him go. He also reminds me a lot of Dabo in the way he handles himself as a coach. I think you guys absolutely hired the right coach. Give him a few years to get his recruits in and you guys will be competing for the SEC West. As far as I'm concerned, I'm pulling for you guys. I hope you own the SEC in the future.

He is a Gus Malzahn protege, but more down to earth...

Oct 23, 2018, 5:46 PM

and with better mentoring skills. I think he can do well as a HC given patience.

He was a breath of resh air as an OC. He gave us a spread offense that was adaptable and could still run some power out of the pistol.

Like Gus, he can be stubborn with his offensive philosophy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

fresh***

Oct 23, 2018, 5:47 PM

You guys will be fine. Tough to play his style with huge OL

Oct 23, 2018, 5:47 PM

recruited by BB for a power running attack. Morris wants a go-go-go offense with OL who can move and speed all over the field. Just give him a few years and ya'll will be fine.

I mean, the guy recruited and helped develop the greatest player in Clemson history so how can we not be fans of his.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Oct 23, 2018, 5:48 PM

Good coach and by all accounts I've heard he's a better man. He had some bad games as a playcaller (ex: completely disregarding the rushing game against a talented 2012 South Carolina pass rush), but overall he played a large roll in much of our early success under Dabo. Hopefully y'all will give him time to get players that better suited for the spread.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Oct 23, 2018, 5:50 PM

I think he was a great coach. Inexperienced when we hired him. He had a lot of learning on the job to do. You will see some criticisms of his stubbornness and the like but there are always growing pains for new coaches. He went from a high school coach to an OC at Clemson to a head coach at SMU to a head coach in the SEC all in a short time. Y’all stay with him and he will be a winner for you.

Oct 23, 2018, 5:59 PM

He didn’t do any “on the job learning” at Clemson. He was hired by Dabo from Tulsa after his offense led the NCAA in yards. He brought his offense and taught it to Clemson. He has been a winner everywhere he has gone and will be at Arkansas.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2018, 6:29 PM

So you think one year as OC at Tulsa provided him all the knowledge he needed? That is hilarious

Oct 23, 2018, 10:18 PM

No, I think years of winning state titles as a high school coach in Texas taught him.

Message was edited by: ClemTig®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2018, 5:51 PM

Chad Morris cane in and changed our offense for the better. He was by any account I ever heard a great recruiter and person. Everyone holds Deshaun Watson to a high standard and he nearly left Clemson to go with Morris. Of course he didn’t please all fans, but he did a great job of getting Cole and our offense ready to stomp Oklahoma after Deshaun went down. I think you have a great coach if he is allowed to hire and pay the best supporting coaches. Good luck with the rest of your season and recruiting

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Uh...

Oct 23, 2018, 6:06 PM

Source on that Deshaun claim? That had to have been a brief thought process.

Also Chad left prior to bowl prep. It was Scott and Elliott who prepped that offense, and more importantly called the plays.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Uh...

Oct 23, 2018, 6:46 PM

I’m sure it may have been brief but both Deshaun and Coach Morris talked about it publicly, in fact Deshaun talked about them both still texting and calling each other up until he left. They developed a connection, which I think is great and nothing wrong with it. Morris was the one that recruited him the most

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

lol

Oct 23, 2018, 10:23 PM

there was a 0% chance Deshaun Watson was about to bail on Clemson and play at SMU

Oct 23, 2018, 6:14 PM [ in reply to Re: From a Razorback fan... ]

And source on getting Cole ready. I think that was all Streeter. Chad didn’t have confidence in him and called plays accordingly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

The Chad left weeks before we played that bowl game

Oct 23, 2018, 10:24 PM

That was Scott/Elliott/Streeter coming out party

Oct 23, 2018, 6:35 PM [ in reply to Re: From a Razorback fan... ]

Not arguing with your accesment ,I love Chads system but Chad had left a few weeks prior to Cole Stoudt dismantlement of Oklahoma.Credit our current qb coach with settling him down for the stellar performance.

Oct 23, 2018, 5:52 PM

I am pulling for the Hogs as well. I would be a little wary of too many gadget plays but he might have to run some gadget plays until you get some real talent in there.

I would also be wary that he can’t run a defense but if he makes the right hires he will be fine and can get you to 8-4 on a fairly regular basis

Give him time and you will be happy.

Oct 23, 2018, 6:03 PM

Chad's a winner. Had a tendency to outthink himself as an OC, but I believe he knows this and has corrected that mistake. No offense, but I don't think you could have gotten anyone better given the state of your program.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2018, 6:05 PM

CCM is a good coach and has a few good assistants. The biggest problem he has is the vast majority of the Arky players don’t fit his style. There are no guarantees but given time I think he will build Arkansas into a winning program. Now I’m not going to say they’ll win national championships but I don’t think that should necessarily be the standard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chad is a good coach but it will take time and patience to

Oct 23, 2018, 6:08 PM

bring success back to Arkansas. You are in the toughest division of the SEC with one established power house (Bama) and two rising powerhouses (LSU, Texas A&M), have significant talent disadvantages to your current SEC competitors and require a complete culture change. None of this is gonna happen within a year or two and will require patience on the part of the Arkansas Admin, AD, and fan base.

When Clemson hired Dabo we didn't have the talent deficit or divisional competition Arkansas is facing and it still took us about 3 years to get our program's culture headed in the right direction. Chad has a much more painful road to travel than Dabo but I believe he is a good coach that can make Arkansas competitive in another 3 to 4 recruiting cycles.

Here is a previous thread that kind of discusses what you are looking for:

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Re-Will-Chad-Morris-24053731#24053731

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My advice...

Oct 23, 2018, 6:14 PM

Leave the SEC West and go over to the SEC Least. It's much easier over there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: My advice...

Oct 23, 2018, 6:16 PM

No. Clemson and FSU would go to the East when we leave the basketball conference.
Coots heads will explode.

Oct 23, 2018, 6:14 PM

I think Morris was the first person to recruit Deshaun Watson, and he stayed with him until DW4 cae to CLEMSON. The fact that he recognizes great talent before most others do is impressive. I'm not totally sure how CM is as a head coach, but he will probably be fine.

The ONLY negative I can possibly think of, and it's JMO, was that Morris would not tailor his offense around the strengths of his QB, but rather the QB had to fit into the Morris plan. That worked fine for DW4, but was abysmal for Cole Stoudt. When CM left CLEMSON and we played OU in the bowl game, Stoudt played his best game of his career as the new co-OC's tailored the play calling around Stoudt's strengths. Maybe that's just my perception, so whatever that's worth.

Completely agree!***

Oct 23, 2018, 6:17 PM

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Think Cole benefited from Streeter being on board as well in

Oct 23, 2018, 9:09 PM [ in reply to Re: From a Razorback fan... ]

that OU game.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2018, 6:18 PM

It’s hard to win with AVG players especially in the SECW.
I can assure you if he gets the right DC , your team will be decent soon.
The Chad is a main reason Clemson is where it’s at

Oct 13, 2021, 9:00 PM

Totally disagree about our success being pinned to Morris. He was a part of the success but Dabo is the key and not Morris. We honestly seem like a more balanced offense with much less gadgets and misdirection that teams with less talent use. I tell you for sure I would rather have Elliot and Scott running the show than Morris.

Mar 7, 2018, 9:10 AM [ in reply to Re: From a Razorback fan... ]

Totally disagree about our success being pinned to Morris. He was a part of the success but Dabo is the key and not Morris. We honestly seem like a more balanced offense with much less gadgets and misdirection that teams with less talent use. I tell you for sure I would rather have Elliot and Scott running the show than Morris.

I hope KB plays for you and tears up the SEC.***

Oct 23, 2018, 6:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You got a goodun' in my opinion...

Oct 23, 2018, 6:22 PM

Give him the time he needs to recruit and develop the talent, and I think you will be pleased with the end result.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Oct 23, 2018, 6:41 PM

He was a good hire here and will be for the Hogs once he gets players that fit his system. Having said that the Hogs gotta have a QB coach and someone to get in his ear on making in game adjustments. He had a tendency to keep running the same things when it was obvious they were not working well.

Oct 23, 2018, 6:52 PM

He's probably most responsible for recruiting Deshaun Watson to Clemson so he's got a pretty good reputation around here!

My take (long)

Oct 23, 2018, 7:02 PM

Welcome to Tnet.

Chad Morris is an excellent OC and will eventually be a great HC as well. The only reason I don't say he is a great HC now is that he is has only been in the college game as both a HC and OC for just under a decade. I have full confidence that he will turn your program around and (you may not want to hear this part) have you competing for 2nd or 3rd place in the SEC West behind Alabama. That's not to say he can never beat Saban, but I think realistically 10 win seasons and 2nd place in the West is a good goal.

Morris is a great fit for Arkansas in terms of recruiting given his close ties to all the high schools in the region, especially Texas given his decades as a high school coach in the state. He has proven to be an excellent recruiter in other areas as well when he was at Clemson, but his ties to high school football in Texas are big for Arkansas given how many Razorback players come from Texas historically.

There's not much I can add to how great of an offensive mind Morris has. IMO, he has surpassed all of his peers that run a directly inspired Gus Malzahn offense. His scheme is variable enough to allow you to be a run first "smashmouth spread" as he called it or a pass heavy scheme if it best suits the players.

It will take time for the defense to adjust to playing opposite Morris' style of HUNH offense. By most accounts Kevin Steele is a very good defensive coordinator, but he was not able to produce a defense that could stop hardly anyone back in 2011. Venables has obviously done a much better job leading a defense that plays opposite a HUNH scheme, which led us to a #1 defense nationally in 2014 in a year when our offense was mediocre at best when Deshaun Watson wasn't healthy.

I used to think that John Chavis was one of the top 3-5 DC in the nation when he was at LSU, but when he was at A&M opposite a spread offense instead of a ball control offense like LSU he wasn't able to produce a top level defense. That's not to say that he cannot eventually do it, but I would expect it to take possibly until year 3 before his defense starts playing at a level that will allow you to win 10 games, and it will likely always lag behind the play of the offense.

Overall, I think that Jeff Long made an excellent choice by hiring Chad Morris given all of the factors I briefly mentioned. I'm not sure if there was anyone available that would have been a better fit last year. If you grow impatient, just look around at what the other high profile coaching hires have done like Chip Kelly, Scott Frost and Willie Taggart. I believe that Chip Kelly is only two losses away from equaling the total number of losses of all his years at Oregon.

Re: Morris

Oct 23, 2018, 7:15 PM

was a good choice for Arky. My biggest issue with him at Clemson was not developing a better game plan for Stoudt (who was not a good fit in his system) when he was in for DW4. However, that was 4 years ago so I am sure he has learned plenty since then.

Re: My take (long)

Oct 23, 2018, 9:01 PM [ in reply to My take (long) ]

I agree completely with your post. It appears based on what I read before the season that CM was a greasy OC and recruited very well. As I stated, this year has been rocky for us but I attribute it to him coming in and completely overhauling the program. Some Razorback fans are impatient and think this year shows he’s a poor coach but o feel this is very short-sighted and I do believe he’s a good coach. He’s already showing how well he can recruit in that this is his first full year of recruiting and if this class stays together, it will be the best class ark has had and especially at the skill positions (several 4 star WR and the #1 TE in the nation). I agree as well that Arkansas should not expect to be bama every year. We haven’t won a NC since 1964. I’d be happy with average 8-9 wins with occasional 10-11 wins and competing for sec West or sec champ.

I’ve been trying to spread this positive outlook on CM over on hogville and a lot of fans agree with me but we still have quite a few that have too high expectations for ark and too high expectations for a first year head coach. Thanks for the comment!

Re: My take (long)

Oct 25, 2018, 4:56 PM [ in reply to My take (long) ]

cornstock said:

Welcome to Tnet.
Overall, I think that Jeff Long made an excellent choice by hiring Chad Morris given all of the factors I briefly mentioned. I'm not sure if there was anyone available that would have been a better fit last year. If you grow impatient, just look around at what the other high profile coaching hires have done like Chip Kelly, Scott Frost and Willie Taggart. I believe that Chip Kelly is only two losses away from equaling the total number of losses of all his years at Oregon.

Jeff Long is the AD at Kansas now haha. We hired a new AD from Houston before firing Bielema.

Really encouraged by Morris's recruiting. He has us at #17 on 247 and #12 on Rivals. Granted, that's only good for about 8th in the SEC which is crazy. I don't think Arkansas fans expect to be Alabama but I don't think we should have been as bad as we were under Bielema either. Nutt averaged around 8 wins a year and won the SEC West twice. Not sure about winning the west with Saban there but 8 wins a year with the occasional 10+ win season is a pretty reasonable goal IMO.

He's a much harder worker and seems to be able to relate to kids better than our previous regime.

Oct 23, 2018, 7:08 PM

Chad is a good coach. There are a lot minor complaints about his play calling but I thought overall he was a great play caller and has a good feel for the game.

Just like any OC there are a couple of games a year that aren't as good as others.

His system is perfect for a team like Arkansas that needs some rebuilding. Give him a couple years to get a qb and WRs. I'd be surprised if he isnt successful. A spread system like his is exactly what you need to do more with less.

Oct 23, 2018, 7:42 PM

I liked Morris as a coach and as a person. Like Dabo, he will need to hire some good coordinators. I always thought he was cut from the same mold as Dabo, young, energetic and a people person, someone who has a special appeal for prospects with character. I believe he will run a clean program and Arkansas will not be faced with MCAA infractions like so many other schools. Best of luck and I'll be pulling for the Razorbacks.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2018, 7:59 PM

I think you guys have a lot to look forward to with the Chad as hc.

Oct 23, 2018, 8:08 PM

Thanks for venturing over to our boards. I have been over to hogville a few times just to see what y’all think of Chad Morris. I see a lot of people mad about him but just give it time Dabo was 6-7 in year 2 and look where he’s got us now. Good luck to y’all! One of the few teams in the SEC I don’t hate.

Oct 23, 2018, 8:20 PM

He landed the biggest whale in CFB history DW4, so you will be fine.

Oct 23, 2018, 8:21 PM

Chad Morris gave Clemson a working offensive scheme and recruited our single greatest player. I watched his overhaul of SMU, a program which had truly hit bottom and thought he learned quite a bit in the process. His personality and candor were refreshing and he took notice clearly of how Dabo runs his entire program.

Arkansas has tremendous potential and if fans can learn to accept his changes while struggling he will lead your program to be on par with other SEC foes, especially ones he can defeat such as South Carolina, Vandy, Ole Miss. Missouri and Kentucky. Recruiting will definitely improve and once he finds his QB look out!

It will take time, but give him at least four years and Arkansas will see solid results.

Go Tigers and Hogs!

Oct 23, 2018, 8:22 PM

I agree with most sentiments posted thus far. Coach Morris was exactly what the Tigers needed when he came on board. He absolutely helped lay the foundation for what the program has become. With such a different philosophy than that of Arkansas’ previous regime, he’ll need a few years to mold it to the shape he wants. I have no doubt he will and I think Arkansas made a great hire!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One thing is for sure

Oct 23, 2018, 8:30 PM

Your games will be extremely entertaining. Never a dull moment with the Chad.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2018, 9:09 PM

Chad Morris is a good man and a good coach. If Kelly Bryant comes there, Chad needs to make sure he coddles him, and there better not be any Qb competition or anyone better than him,...or he'll take his ball and go home.

Message was edited by: TigerFanX2000®

Message was edited by: TigerFanX2000®

Thanks everyone

Oct 23, 2018, 9:39 PM

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said here and have been trying to spread the good word regarding CM on our message boards. A lot of fans agree with me but still a lot don't and think just because his overall record was not great at SMU that he is not a good coach. I think with a few years of recruiting we can be competitive in the SEC West (which is about as good as we can expect on a consistent basis). I'm not offended by some posters who suggested that we aren't an elite program and I agree with y'all. Of course I want the best for our program but realistically, we're not bama and likely won't ever be. I'll take consistent competitive seasons for the SEC west with an occasionally chance at SEC champ if CM can get us to that (which I think if given enough time he can). This first year of full recruiting is looking to be the best class we've ever had. Thanks again everyone!

I have nothing but respect for Chad

Oct 23, 2018, 10:24 PM

He was a good coach, recruiter, and person.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I always liked Arkansas...

Oct 23, 2018, 10:27 PM

...which is why upset when they hired Bielema because I can't stand that guy.

Hogs are now by far my faorite SEC team, and I will be pulling for them until we see you in the playoffs ;)

Oct 23, 2018, 10:46 PM

He abandoned the run way too often even when it was working

Chad's a brilliant career manager........

Oct 23, 2018, 10:48 PM

Go to a new employer, baffle em with BS, and then get promoted to a better gig just before they figure you out.

We should all be so skillful in our working lives.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Other than short man syndrome...

Oct 23, 2018, 11:13 PM

he's obstinate about going wide open all the time. That might sound like a good thing but he has the propensity to kill a defense if he can't razzle dazzle his way to a first down. He seems to thrive fairly well with less talent but he will never get you where you folks are wanting to go.

The grass is always greener to him I was wondering if he's interviewing with other programs yet?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2018, 12:16 AM

Big fan of Chad Morris. Wasn’t perfect but we don’t have a national championship if doesn’t come to clemson

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic