Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kirkland sits and waits for opportunity to coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Jan 5, 2011, 7:12 PM

Former Tiger and Steeler great Levon Kirkland, who made it to the Super Bowl and the Pro Bowl as a linebacker, wants to give back to the game of football. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would be a great hire IMO!***

Jan 5, 2011, 7:40 PM

Re: Would be a great hire IMO!***

Jan 6, 2011, 8:50 AM

if i were Dabo, i'd be begging Kirk to coach or to be involved with the football team in SOME WAY!! are you serious?! He loves the game. He loves Clemson. He has a new-found passion for teaching the game to young men. He has tremendous experience IN THE NFL! This is a no-brainer if you ask me... maybe that's why we went 6-7 this year. are you seriously not going to consider him because some crappy (no offense woodmont) high school football team has a crappy defense? let's see what he can do with the talent at Clemson.

And i think it's really cool he came back to Clemson to finish his degree.. i didn't know that.

Re: Kirkland sits and waits for opportunity to coach

Jan 5, 2011, 7:47 PM

Where can you find a better candidate...if he could get half the desire in the defense he had, we would be in the BCS next year...Swinney and Steele are as dumb as they look to the Clemson nation if they dont consider him...he was great and would be what we need...our linebackers have been pitiful since Steele has arrived and that wont change any time soon

Jan 5, 2011, 7:54 PM

One of my top five favorites ALL TIME at Clemson. Of course, I was there when he was there and got to know him a little bit.
One of my favorite moments was him saying, "Give us the keys to this place" after the Tigers won yet again at Williams-Brice.

One thing is for sure... He would be a hellacious recruiter.

Jan 6, 2011, 10:05 AM

Could you imagine having Clemson coach Levon Kirkland come into your living room as a high school kid...

Wow!

Jan 5, 2011, 8:07 PM

In my oppinion,Levon Kirkland would be a great fit in the coaching staff at Clemson University. Give him a chance! Hell, they gambled with Dabo. Why not Levon,a seasoned NFL veteran with roots at Clemson. Someone the players could relate to and aspire to be.

We'd be foolish to not utilize him in some way.***

Jan 5, 2011, 8:19 PM

No to Kirk. He was D-coordinator and LB coach at Woodmont HS

Jan 5, 2011, 8:36 PM

in Greenville. They were absolutely horrid on defense, giving up over 40 points per game. Sometimes playing the game doesn't equal coaching the game.

The know it alls of TNET have spoken and they already

Jan 5, 2011, 8:40 PM

said Levon would not make a good coach so I guess it's settled!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Him giving up over 40ppg. is a FACT, Captain Sarcasm***

Jan 5, 2011, 8:43 PM

We are talking about COACHING linebackers not calling

Jan 5, 2011, 8:47 PM

plays as a DC. He's one of the best we have ever had at the position. Not sure if you have ever seen the students at Woodmont but I don't recall too many years when they have ever had a bunch of athletes in football.

Re: We are talking about COACHING linebackers not calling

Jan 5, 2011, 8:52 PM

BS. Coaching is coaching. Great coaches get it done with whatever resources they have. While we're at it, let's get Michael Dean Perry to coach the D-line and make Steve Fuller the new O-Coordinator.

Jan 5, 2011, 9:18 PM

Really? Coaching is coaching? Great coaches get it done with whatever resources they have? Talk about BS, your entire comment was BS. You leave me wondering who you think are or were great coaches.

If your statement were remotely close to the truth then Saban would have won more than 7 his first year. Bear Bryant would have never had a losing season.

Couple of things about Kirkland. I'm pretty sure he can teach things for the LB position that current coaches at Clemson cannot. He's been there and done that, and if you think that kids wouldn't be drawn to Clemson based on a former NFL Pro Bowler and Super Bowl champion coaching them you are pretty dense about the subject.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2011, 10:08 PM [ in reply to Re: We are talking about COACHING linebackers not calling ]

I guess thats why Bama goes after all the 5 star recruits, so they don't have to coach. I bet you that up to this day, you still blame the lady for you not being able to perform.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2011, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Re: We are talking about COACHING linebackers not calling ]

twentytwofifteen obviously you have never been coach...sometimes you have to work with whats there especially in high school sports.....you just lost all credibility with your last remark

Plus, he has nothing to gain by coaching here, except

Jan 5, 2011, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Him giving up over 40ppg. is a FACT, Captain Sarcasm*** ]

tarnishing his legacy. Expectations would be unrealistic. The 1st time he didn't produce an Butkus Award winner he would be deemed a failure.

One thing that has always bothered me about Clemson is

Jan 5, 2011, 8:53 PM

how few former players are involved in coaching. There has never been a Clemson "Coaching Tree" like there are at so many other places. Mike Ocain was about the extent of it.

Re: One thing that has always bothered me about Clemson is

Jan 5, 2011, 8:55 PM

I agree. But they have to be able to have the God-given ability to teach the game of football.

Re: One thing that has always bothered me about Clemson is

Jan 5, 2011, 9:20 PM [ in reply to One thing that has always bothered me about Clemson is ]

don't forget bobby johnson...clemson alum...great coach at Furman and respectable at Vandy

Re: No to Kirk. He was D-coordinator and LB coach at Woodmont HS

Jan 5, 2011, 10:04 PM [ in reply to No to Kirk. He was D-coordinator and LB coach at Woodmont HS ]

I bet your toast is only toasted on one side. B/C, it sure as H&ll sounds like only half your brain is working. I'm sure there were tons of negatives on the said team you're talking about. Ahhh lets see here, we gave a WR coach a HC=ing job. That WR coach gave a QB coach a OC job, when neither of them has ever been to a Pro bowl game. Please tell me with the only side of your brain that works, why the h&ll would Kirkland be such a high risk. Give him the ### job of coaching the LB's....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

never heard of woodmont before, so maybe they gave up alot

Jan 5, 2011, 11:36 PM [ in reply to No to Kirk. He was D-coordinator and LB coach at Woodmont HS ]

of points because there players suck

best game was an 8 point loss to a 1 win team

Jan 6, 2011, 1:25 AM

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/l8eb3Lm5EkmA08uXQqtB6g/woodmont-wildcats/football/schedule.htm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2011, 11:47 PM [ in reply to No to Kirk. He was D-coordinator and LB coach at Woodmont HS ]

And sometimes the school you are dealt with has no talent. Small kids and when have you ever heard of a great football player coming out of woodmont....they are more basketball that anything else.

Jan 6, 2011, 8:15 AM [ in reply to No to Kirk. He was D-coordinator and LB coach at Woodmont HS ]

Not necessarily, in high school you have to coach the kid who wants to play football and play the hand you’re dealt. In college, you go out and find the type player you want for you system.

Doesn't have to be as a coach.***

Jan 6, 2011, 8:30 AM [ in reply to No to Kirk. He was D-coordinator and LB coach at Woodmont HS ]

Dude, it was Woodmont, they just aren't that good*******

Jan 6, 2011, 10:07 AM [ in reply to No to Kirk. He was D-coordinator and LB coach at Woodmont HS ]

Bear fricking Bryant couldnt have coached Woodmont to a good

Jan 6, 2011, 9:03 PM [ in reply to No to Kirk. He was D-coordinator and LB coach at Woodmont HS ]

season.

Re: Dabo, this is a no brainer here!!

Jan 5, 2011, 9:20 PM

Here's some highlights of .44 Magnum, Levon Kirkland!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgn-ObGZKq8&playnext=1&list=PLBFF19020190DF9FE&index=92

Jan 5, 2011, 10:16 PM

Awesome memories, and thanks!!! I do believe coaches LB-ers and a whole D- fence is a difference in day and night than coaching LB-ers. And as -20 would have you to beleive!!!

our 3-4 defense of that era was so dominant***

Jan 5, 2011, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo, this is a no brainer here!! ]

Jan 6, 2011, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo, this is a no brainer here!! ]

Very good highlights on YouTube . Take a look at "Ford's Last Stand". That is the way defense is supposed to be played. Kirkland will be a great coach. I wish he gets a shot at Clemson. Hawkins improved a lot with just a few pointers. If he had full time coaching, maybe we could be all that we can be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One thing for #### sure, he would have the same passion for

Jan 5, 2011, 10:05 PM

Clemson or more, than anyone posting here. And its not like LB has been a strong point of the defense anyway. Maybe he would attract some more to play here, who knows - I love a coach who wants to be here. I didn't have the same issues with Napier many on here did, but he seems just as qualified to coach LB's as Billy did to be OC and I really don't think he did a bad job, I think there were philosophical differences that he and Dabo could not bridge.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

Jan 5, 2011, 10:59 PM

Levon Kirkland is a member of the Clemson family and with his experience as a top Clemson Defensive player and his proven record as a NFL player it's a no-brainer that if he wants to coach at Clemson he would be a perfect fit. Think about his showing recruits that Super Bowl ring and tell me he won't have their respect. He knows the game...he loves Clemson...and those of us that saw him play at Clemson love his talent.
Comon-man...let's give him the job!

People on tigernet use emotion to pick coaches

Jan 5, 2011, 11:42 PM

Kirkland hasn't zhown any reason he'd be a good college coach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: People on tigernet use emotion to pick coaches

Jan 6, 2011, 8:03 AM

Last time I checked, nobody on Tigernet actually "picked" coaches ;-}.

you know what I mean***

Jan 6, 2011, 9:21 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kirkland should know that

Jan 5, 2011, 11:45 PM

sitting and waiting does not get anyone anywhere. He needs to pull up his resume'... update it...and hand deliver to Dabo's. No one is going to take him serious if he doesn't take himself serious.
I would love to see him help in someway. But just because he played football at Clemson, in the pros, helped with a couple of camps and has helped a few players does not mean he would be the best thing ever.

We have had lots of players that would make great coaches at Clemson but never went after it.....Bubba Diggs, Jim Riggs, Brian Dawkins, Dwight Clark, Steve Fuller, Joe Bostic(would have been a hecka of a coach) but they did other things.

If Kirkland really wants it like he says he does then go do something about it!! We are behind you but you have to make the move. Just like anyother job opportunity. Look at Jeff Davis...he finally made it....Kirk can too.

Jan 6, 2011, 3:14 PM

The "Brain Trust" at the athletic department never ceases to exceed my lack of expectations. Do they need to borrow my phone? Levon is one of many previous players that could make a very positive contribution to Clemson athletics!

Jan 6, 2011, 8:49 PM

LK would be a solid addition. Somebody with practical college, NFL, Technique & FITNESS applications. I worked out with this guy a few years ago...and he was still a stud duck! He could take over strength & conditioning as far as I am concerned as well...HA! And D-RECRUITING would be a natural for him. And we need blue chip LB prospects! Give hima call Steele!

Jan 6, 2011, 10:10 PM

I think he could be a great asset to the football program. (as a LB coach and/or strength/conditioning coach)

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic