Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One reason Saturday felt different: the 2017 game was EPIC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,164

One reason Saturday felt different: the 2017 game was EPIC

Dec 2, 2019, 11:27 AM

In 2017, South Carolina had just jumped into the CFP Committee's Top 25 that Tuesday Night at #23. They had won 5 of their last 6 games with the only loss coming at #2 Georgia by 14 points. It was the first (and only) time they were ranked in the CFP Poll. Everything was pointing up from their point of view.

The "Never Again" and "Game On" challenges were proclaimed after the 2016 game. That summer, Dak Joyner signed with South Carolina & proclaimed his Gamecocks would never lose to Clemson. At SEC Media Days, Jake Bentley went so far as to comment on last year's 56-7 game by saying that Clemson was "not that much better than us". Clemson lost at Syracuse and Coot Logic was at an all time high. The week of the game, Todd Ellis declared that Clemson was terrified at what Will Muschamp was building in Columbia, at that we were Cycling Out. South Carolina fans were in a drunken delusional chicken-fried frenzy the night of the game. If you were there that night, the bitter envy and resentment was palpable. 56-7 and our National Title the year before had taken their hatred for us to a new level.

Once the game started, UofSC's team had no idea how to channel emotion and play under control, committing mental error after dumb penalty, after cheap shot late hit, kindly extending drives for us. Jake Bentley's Heisman chances took a big hit when he threw Ryan Carter one of the easiest Pick 6's in CFB history. To add salt to an open wound, South Carolina was embarrased for 4 QTRs by Kelly Bryant & Hunter Renfrow - the two Clemson players that SCAR fans spent the most time on proclaiming they weren't any good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

"drunken delusional chicken-fried frenzy" - I like it***

Dec 2, 2019, 11:30 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Jake Bentley's Heisman chances..."

Dec 2, 2019, 11:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Speaking of cheap shots...

Dec 2, 2019, 11:39 AM

Has anyone said anything about Kingsley Enagbare's low hit on Lawrence well after he released the football.

Clearly an attempt to injure Lawrence and the POS should have been penalized and ejected.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Speaking of cheap shots...

Dec 2, 2019, 12:25 PM

I think that if you watch a replay of the fourth quarter, you will see one of our O-linemen go low on his and deliberately twist his ankle - sending him off the field.

a pay-back of sorts - for more than one dirty hit

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was the year Ellis made his "cycling in" declaration...

Dec 2, 2019, 12:19 PM

... the Friday before the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,164
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic