Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: 101-year-old Clemson legend Ben Skardon walks in Bataan Memorial Death March
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

TNET: 101-year-old Clemson legend Ben Skardon walks in Bataan Memorial Death March

Mar 18, 2019, 10:28 AM

101-year-old Clemson legend Ben Skardon walks in Bataan Memorial Death March

Retired U.S. Army Col. Ben Skardon, a 101-year-old survivor of the Bataan Death March and revered alumnus and professor emeritus of Clemson University marched f Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: 101-year-old Clemson legend Ben Skardon walks in Bataan Memorial Death March

Mar 18, 2019, 10:56 AM

Colonel Skardon was a true American hero in every sense of the word. It is unfortunate that so many high schools no longer teach American History or at least the base causes of WW II. Many Clemson alumni lost their lives during that awful conflict. (Over 300 in the class of 1941 alone!) There was great book written by another former Clemson student and Death March survivor, Manny Lawton: Some Survived: An Eyewitness Account of the Bataan Death March and the Men Who Lived through It. I recommend this book to anyone who wishes to know about the Japanese treatment of American POWs as seen by a former Clemson student.---He who does not know history is condemned to relive it.

Re: TNET: 101-year-old Clemson legend Ben Skardon walks in Bataan Memorial Death March

Mar 18, 2019, 11:00 AM

hE WAS MY ENGLISH TEACHER. i NEVER KNEW TILL YEARS LATER OF HIS WAR TIME EXPERIENCES.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2019, 11:13 AM

He was my English Professor in 1977. I also did not know of his military service at that time.
He dressed in a bow tie and wore a seer sucker suit to class as well.

Mar 18, 2019, 11:08 AM

Great American and Great Tiger!!!

My uncle, my father's oldest brother, survived Bataan...***

Mar 18, 2019, 11:13 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My uncle, my father's oldest brother, survived Bataan...

Mar 18, 2019, 1:18 PM

it is amazing there were survivors at all given the horrific treatment and conditions. That some are still living today at their age is amazing based on normal mortality but remarkable considering their ordeal. I would suspect most had some long term health issues due to this

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2019, 12:23 PM

A great man. That smile is his trademark.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2019, 12:27 PM

Beyond proud of you Col.Skardon! An absolute honor to be connected through you to Clemson. May God bless every moment of every day you have and thank you sir with profound depth for your service!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2019, 1:44 PM

What an amazing and wonderful man! His outlook on life is such an inspiration and a blessing to those of us fortunate enough to know him.

Mar 18, 2019, 10:36 PM

Amazing man

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

One of the best professors I had

Mar 19, 2019, 3:09 AM

Sophomore English....English 201

One of the best. Made English Lit come alive.

Never forget his class. Not easy but he made you want to learn.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 19, 2019, 10:09 AM

Great story! My father-in-law also survived it. True American hero’s !!!

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic