Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
No Support in Charlotte
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

No Support in Charlotte

Dec 1, 2018, 9:03 AM

Where is th ACCCG being played? Has it been moved out of Charlotte? I just read the Saturday online Charlotte Observer and did no see a single article or a mention of today’s ACCCG. It appears Charlotte does not actually support the game. Most of the tickets have been purchased by Clemson fans, very few by locals in Charlotte.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aren’t championship games typically attended by fans...

Dec 1, 2018, 9:07 AM

of the schools in said championship game?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Aren’t championship games typically attended by fans...

Dec 1, 2018, 9:07 AM

True... but it is in tarhole country

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

not tarhole country. 49er country!

Dec 1, 2018, 10:33 AM

seriously though, Charlotte is a mix. The financial institutions recruit UNCC hard and also State and UNC. SC only has 2 schools, you are either one or the other. There are 4 power 5 schools plus uncc app st ecu and all of the other unc schools. It's just different up here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

... SC only had two schools ...

Dec 1, 2018, 10:51 AM

A little education time: Furman, newberry, lander, CoC, Coastal, Citadel, Winthrop, etc... > 2

The first two years of the ACCG in Charlotte, Wells Fargo

Dec 1, 2018, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Aren’t championship games typically attended by fans... ]

actually encouraged employees to go to the game and gave them a discount through the employee merchnat discount website.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Dec 1, 2018, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Aren’t championship games typically attended by fans... ]

Obviously. But usually you will find local interest and local fans from the conference member schools that attend. Not so much in Charlotte.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, where would you think we could have this game that both

Dec 1, 2018, 9:19 AM

has an appropriately sized football stadium and better local support than Charlotte?

null

Re: So, where would you think we could have this game that both

Dec 1, 2018, 9:27 AM

Not blaming Charlotte. I blame the ACC. Lack of outreach, lack of advertising, lack of ...... The conference is just not getting the job done.

Ah. I hear ya. It does feel a bit subdued this year.

Dec 1, 2018, 9:28 AM

I feel like there was more energy around it in previous years.

null

We are spoiled, and Pitt can’t fill their own stadium

Dec 1, 2018, 9:55 AM

Our fans have spent a ton of money past three years traveling to playoffs. Reality is playoffs are expensive for average fan.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about highest ranked teams home field

Dec 1, 2018, 9:51 AM [ in reply to So, where would you think we could have this game that both ]

PAC 12 game last night in an empty stadium is stupid. Weather this time of year in Charlotte is so unpredictable. Wish they would be a dome.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How about highest ranked teams home field

Dec 1, 2018, 10:26 AM

New owner of Panthers has talked about that. Even showed a drawing of what it would look like.

Dec 1, 2018, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Aren’t championship games typically attended by fans... ]

In big cities, college football usually doesn't do well, I've noticed. When I live a few miles from the U of Maryland campus you couldn't tell a game was on. Tonight you could fit all the Pitt fans who will be there in a Hyundai.

Dec 1, 2018, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Aren’t championship games typically attended by fans... ]

For example in the Charleston Classic basketball tournament held here a few weeks ago were covered by all local TV stations, sports radio stations and newspaper EXTENSIVELY even though there were no local teams playing.
That is how a city supports a sporting event.

Great support...

Dec 1, 2018, 9:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Great support...

Dec 1, 2018, 10:27 AM

The evening games had better attendance. I knew a good bit of people who went to the game just to go, and actually due to the destination, a lot of fans come from the respective schools.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great support...

Dec 1, 2018, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Great support... ]

Not fair representation. That was a 12 noon first round game

Dec 1, 2018, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Aren’t championship games typically attended by fans... ]

Exactly. Why would anyone want to watch the Clemson vs Pitt game if they weren't a fan of either team or didn't have money on the game?

NC cares nothing about football. Basketball 360

Dec 1, 2018, 9:22 AM

When I moved to NC, I was amazed that sports talk shows basically ignored football season (except for NFL Panthers) most talk however is basketball. Very hard to get adjusted to that.

I will add, there are two sports radio stations in Charlotte

Dec 1, 2018, 9:23 AM

and I listened to both on the way to and from work, and neither one discussed the game for a second. The 610 am morning show even had an entire segment about potential chaos in the playoffs and failed to say the word “Clemson” a single time.

I guess they know the market better than I do but I’m always baffled with how they can fill three hours every day for five days with obsessing over the Carolina Panthers. I’m not sure why they think this is exclusively a pro town. I sure do miss Mark Packer in the evening. He was fantastic at playing all the college fan bases off of each other.

null

One of few reasons I keep SiriusXM, ESPNu radio, Mark Packer

Dec 1, 2018, 9:33 AM

Basically zero college football talk on Raleigh radio.

Re: One of few reasons I keep SiriusXM, ESPNu radio, Mark Packer

Dec 1, 2018, 10:44 AM

Not sure the name but 99.9 in Raleigh during the day has a lot of college football talk. They obviously cover the NC schools more but have been extremely pro Clemson last few weeks.

I enjoy listening to them because they are just as frustrated as I am with the criminal overranking of SEC teams and call it out. Florida/Kentucky/LSU are not great teams imo.

Re: No Support in Charlotte

Dec 1, 2018, 9:23 AM

It’s a major city, most of the people there don’t care.

Dec 1, 2018, 10:29 AM

Major disappointment.

Dec 1, 2018, 10:32 AM

B of A stadium will finally have a very impressive team using it this season. The Charlotte Observer not accustomed to covering such.

Message was edited by: BerlinSPY73®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic