Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One of Top 3 All-time favorite jokes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 369

One of Top 3 All-time favorite jokes

Sep 18, 2013, 2:44 PM

As told to me by a Catholic priest 40 years ago...

A Baptist moved into a predominately Catholic neighborhood. One of his favorite Friday afternoon rituals was to grill a thick, juicy steak in the backyard. Of course the aroma would drift over the area, gnawing at those having their fish sticks.

The neighbors knew they couldn't tell him not to do it, so they decided the next best thing was to get him to convert. One at a time they would invite him to go to mass. One at a time, they said, "your church is so far away, why don't you consider becoming a Catholic?"

Eventually, they wore him down and he said yes. Went to Catholicism classes. Finally they day came for his conversion.

As he knelt at the altar,the priest sprinkled his head with Holy Water and said, 'You were born a Baptist, you were raised a Baptist and now, you are a Catholic!'

The congregation wiped their foreheads and said, 'Thank you!... because they knew that next Friday that they were not going to have to smell that aromatic steak while working in their yards, driveways or garages... but then... sniff, sniff, sniff

They headed over to his house, walked in the back gate to tell him that now he had converted, his Friday steaks had to stop... but there he stood at the grill, large steak sizzling and a bowl of water in his hand as he sprinkled it saying, 'You were born a steer, you were raised a steer and now, you are a fish!'

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is the deal with fish on Fridays anyway?

Sep 18, 2013, 2:47 PM

I never got that one.

The pope said so many many years ago

Sep 18, 2013, 2:57 PM

And also something of eating food of the poor people. But all that stuff nowadays is el stupido. I usually make one or two jokes during Lent to my wife.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is the deal with fish on Fridays anyway?

Sep 18, 2013, 3:08 PM [ in reply to What is the deal with fish on Fridays anyway? ]

It's just one of those Catholic traditions that are celebrated throughout the year. It has little biblical reference other than in association with the penitential practices of lent. At some point the catholic church deemed it permissible to eat certain foods - fish, eggs, cheese (some will say chicken, too) - probably because too many people were getting sick from fasting. You could probably take up hours talking about this with a Priest, but in short it's more of a traditional part of Catholicism that a biblical part. We have several traditional ceremonies that Popes throughout time have deemed necessary to honor Biblical characters and events.

So originally it was a once-a-week fast...

Sep 18, 2013, 3:11 PM

Fascinating. I wonder how all this stuff got started. At some point somebody just decided to tell everyone to do it.

@ some point somebody just decided to tell everyone to do it

Sep 18, 2013, 3:21 PM

relevant statement is relevant.

My first job was at captain D's....and let me tell you..

Sep 18, 2013, 3:09 PM [ in reply to What is the deal with fish on Fridays anyway? ]

they take this stuff seriously. Fridays were crazy at Captain D's.

I feel sad for you.***

Sep 18, 2013, 2:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^has only heard 4 jokes***

Sep 18, 2013, 2:54 PM

How bad could the 4th be? uggghh***

Sep 18, 2013, 3:00 PM

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RealityCheck at home

Sep 18, 2013, 3:10 PM

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=monty+python+deadliest+joke&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=055AE215059AD5FAF71C055AE215059AD5FAF71C

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Then this joke will blow your mind.

Sep 18, 2013, 3:13 PM

Pirate walks into a bar and has a ship's steering wheel sticking out of his pants. The bartender asks what's with the steering wheel? The pirate responds,

Arrr, it's drivin' me nuts!

That joke is infinitely more funny than RealityCheck's.***

Sep 18, 2013, 3:17 PM

One of Top 2 All-Time Favorite Jokes

Sep 18, 2013, 3:20 PM [ in reply to Then this joke will blow your mind. ]

What's the difference between Yogurt and Columbia?

Yogurt has culture!

I take it you don't laugh that much.***

Sep 18, 2013, 3:22 PM

Replies: 14
| visibility 369
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic