Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One Georgia Southern note.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

One Georgia Southern note.

Aug 24, 2018, 5:59 AM

There was a post yesterday slamming the university's academics but Georgia Southern is the third best public university in Georgia only behind Tech and UGA. I know there are several of us on this board who's children are Georgia Southern graduates and GSU was their first choice. We appreciate the education they received from the university. My daughter graduated two years ago from GSU and secured a $65,000+ a year nursing job with a major hospital prior to graduation. She has done exceptionally well with her Georgia Southern degree. I'd rather my kids go to GSU than Coot U or UGA any day and every day.

That said, I can't wait for our Tigers to kick some Eagle a$$ on September 15. Our starters will be pulled by the middle of the second quarter!

https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/top-public-universities/s/georgia/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One Georgia Southern note.

Aug 24, 2018, 6:59 AM

Georgia Southern has always had a reputation for partying , at least in my experience . I went to one in 1989 and ended up "sleeping it off" in some azaleas .
I didn't know that they were the 3rd best academically in Georgia , so you learnt me something today .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 24, 2018, 7:32 AM

Not down playing or disrespecting GSU, but my sister has an RN degree from CLEMSON, and she can get a job anytime, anywhere she wants to, and has for almost 40 years. And she always made a really good salary and received big sign-on bonuses. Point is: Nurses have been in high demand for years and I have seen it first hand having worked in hospitals for over 30 years before retiring. They get A+ treatment, but it's because they deserve it. Your daughter has chosen a great profession and I can tell you're proud of her. Thank her for us old guys that have declining health. :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 24, 2018, 9:31 PM

Georgia Southern Nursing Program

Nationally recognized as a top 100 nursing program*

Ahhhh ok, 3rd best public university. I see. I was wondering

Aug 24, 2018, 7:34 AM

Where Emory and Mercer was. I’m trying to decide if third best public university in Georgia is like saying the tallest midget

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ahhhh ok, 3rd best public university. I see. I was wondering

Aug 24, 2018, 10:13 AM

lovingit® said:

Where Emory and Mercer was.

Emory and Mercer are Private Universities.

Re: Ahhhh ok, 3rd best public university. I see. I was wondering

Aug 25, 2018, 1:26 AM [ in reply to Ahhhh ok, 3rd best public university. I see. I was wondering ]

It puts GSU ahead of the 'historically black" institutions.

Georgia Southern is a great university

Aug 24, 2018, 7:42 AM

One of my three kids graduated from there and I love the school. Many people forget when GA started the Hope Scholarship program, applications/enrollment went thru the roof. This caused a ripple effect that quickly bumped up the academic requirements to get into a state university. UGA is extremely tough to get into and that has “forced” students to apply to other schools such as GS. This has elevated the enrollment requirements.

They have a passionate fan base that loves football and hates the Bulldogs!! I can buy into that all day long.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Georgia Southern is a great university

Aug 25, 2018, 6:30 AM

When I was a student, getting into UGA was easy. Two fellow lifelong Clemson fans I grew up with couldn’t get into Clemson and “had to go” to UGA. Several others end up at Sakerlina. Now, it’ Like they forgot they were ever Clemson fans. The grade school pictures don’t lie, though. They have Clemson shirts on. Ohio State 10 years ago was easy to enter, now hard to get in. Times change. Except for Sakerlina.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I spent 2 weeks in July at GSU 28 years ago

Aug 24, 2018, 7:55 AM

attending a physics institute. It was pretty prestigious for GSU to be picked over other schools in the southeast.

That being said, the heat of H?ll holds no fear over me after that summer (and I think I still have a few sand fleas even after all this time)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Aug 24, 2018, 8:40 AM

Georgia Southern University is a good school and it usually doesn't matter what universality is on your diploma when you graduate and are looking for a job. It's what you make of your time in college academically and if you take advantage of the job development/placement services provided. I wasn't a stellar student (I'm a GSU alumni) but I'm doing pretty well working at a large aerospace company. All colleges can be so-called party schools if that's what the student is looking for in college life. I'm sure parties are still easy to find at GSU like they were for me 20+ years ago, and I'm sure the same can be said for Clemson (hopefully my son will not be going to too many of them this year). Plus, most of us GSU fans/alum dislike UGA! I'm an ACC fan and have been a Clemson and GT fan for a long time. I'll see y'all Sept. 15th! Cheers! :)

Aug 24, 2018, 8:50 AM

Georgia Southern has zero reputation outside the state of Georgia,.. which means it really isn't that great of a university. Yeah, it's better than come community colleges and some other hack colleges.. but don't be too proud of it.,

Aug 24, 2018, 9:21 AM

So what made you think your discourteous comment was really necessary?

Baltimore I agree 100% and unless I'm mistaken they used

Aug 24, 2018, 9:34 AM

to have an incredible football team years ago with that wishbone and an even better golf team. A friend of mine attended Ga Southern on a golf scholarship and loved it there. There is nothing at all wrong with holding a degree from Georgia Southern. You should be very proud of your daughter as I know you are. Nursing is such an excellent field. Plus it's hard to imagine them being replaced by robots! jk

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Baltimore I agree 100% and unless I'm mistaken they used

Aug 24, 2018, 9:48 AM

^ went 15-0 in 1989 and 14-1 under Paul Johnson in 1998, to start a streak of 5 years of 11 wins or more according to Winsipedia.

Ga Southern really isn't that "great" of a school...

Aug 24, 2018, 10:37 AM

It may be a step up from Kennesaw, West Ga, & GCSU, and it may have a more traditional "campus feel" than Ga State, but none of that is really saying much.

It's basicly UGA & Tech, then everybody else

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GSU isn't close to Clemson academically.

Aug 24, 2018, 10:49 AM

But it is definitely a solid school, and certainly superior to the University of South Carolina.

Most of the people here poking fun at GSU are doing so in response to GSU fan posts here trying to (unsuccessfully) take digs at us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: GSU isn't close to Clemson academically.

Aug 24, 2018, 10:54 AM

I agree Clemson is better than GSU academically, but GSU is a solid college and only getting better.

Jan 20, 2022, 12:36 PM
th.jpg(129.6 K)

I am sure that my opinion doesn't matter , but my time at GSU on one weekend in 1989 was solid .

DB23

Aug 24, 2018, 11:01 AM

LOL solid but not quite Animal House level solid.

Aug 24, 2018, 9:33 PM

Your starters will be pulled in the first quarter, because they will be to beat up and Dabo will want to save them.

Completely agree BT

Aug 25, 2018, 12:59 AM

Ga Southern continues to move up in the world. The Gulfstream Aerospace President/CEO is one proud Ga Southern graduate, and there are plenty of others in GA and nationwide. Hate to see the Tiger fans get arrogant.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic