Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fair is fair...the first domino falls.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 79
| visibility 1

Fair is fair...the first domino falls.

Sep 30, 2019, 12:24 PM

I'd love to see Trevor Lawrence get a check from appearing on a commercial, wouldn't you?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/30/sport/california-sb-206-ncaa-trnd/index.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depends......

Sep 30, 2019, 12:27 PM

A check from appearances that would normally be occurring anyway (TV ads, promos, etc), or a check from the local Dodge dealer running ads with TL in them saying in a deep monotone "Take it from Trevor Lawrence, the new Hellcat is bad to the bone!"

If A and not B, how do you enforce?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know how to manage this, but I'm

Sep 30, 2019, 12:30 PM

ready for the day when somebody isn't worth anywhere near what he thinks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see the difference...why is the second one bad?***

Sep 30, 2019, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Depends...... ]

Except it sounds like it wouldn't pay as much.***

Sep 30, 2019, 12:35 PM

There's a big difference.

Sep 30, 2019, 12:37 PM [ in reply to I don't see the difference...why is the second one bad?*** ]

One involves zero deviation from their normal routine.

The other involves them taking on additional work and distractions from their two primary foci, athletics and academics.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ah, I see.

Sep 30, 2019, 12:39 PM

That's a good point..as a fan of the team, maybe I wouldn't want to see it, if it seems to affect performance. But at least the player should have the choice, just like I had the choice when I was in school to get a job that potentially could affect my academic performance.

I'm coming from a different angle in your case.

Sep 30, 2019, 12:41 PM

Most athletic scholarships prohibit the athletes from taking on additional jobs.

In your case, your academic scholarship didn't. Rather than saying "that's how athletic scholarships should be", I'd flip it and say I'd have no problem if USC had made that stipulation part of your academic scholarship, since they were footing the bill for your education.

Yeah, and something like that could make me say

Sep 30, 2019, 12:42 PM

"see ya" to USC's academic scholarship. I personally didn't have to worry about, thankfully, but I'm certain that many thousands of students across the country do.

because a "dealer" in Tuscaloosa may pay $110k and

Sep 30, 2019, 12:40 PM [ in reply to I don't see the difference...why is the second one bad?*** ]

a "dealer" in Seneca can only afford $25k.

It unfairly influences the market.

I don't think that makes things much different from

Sep 30, 2019, 12:47 PM

the way they are now. If anything, it makes it more transparent, as opposed to today, where these potential shady dealings are completely under the table.

It will be more obvious that a school or booster is using money to recruit, than it currently is.

So what you're saying is,

Sep 30, 2019, 12:58 PM

If you liked the situation at Auburn with Cam Newton and his Dad, then you'll LOVE this new setup.

Exactly. Except now, every blue chipper in the country will

Sep 30, 2019, 12:59 PM

do it. And it will ruin the game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I'm saying it would be easier to root out

Sep 30, 2019, 1:26 PM [ in reply to So what you're saying is, ]

a Cam situation, than it currently is.

Making rape legal makes it easier to root out rapists, but

Sep 30, 2019, 11:09 AM

it doesn't make it ideal.

Um...ok.

Sep 30, 2019, 1:35 PM

Never mind, I guess.

I agree, it was a silly argument.

Sep 30, 2019, 1:37 PM

Legalizing an undesirable activity because it brings the people who participate in said activity to the surface is silly.

I think it should still be illegal for schools and boosters

Sep 30, 2019, 1:49 PM

to pay players to come to the schools. (Against the rules, I mean, not "illegal" in terms of criminal statute.)

This law is talking mainly about companies paying players to use them on advertisements. If schools and boosters are using that to recruit players, it will be apparent, and you could enforce the rule better. That's what I was saying.

Re: My solution

Sep 30, 2019, 1:05 PM [ in reply to because a "dealer" in Tuscaloosa may pay $110k and ]

Pool all the monies and divide it with all the athletes when they graduate. Just keep a running total for given time period. Got to graduate.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know why I never leave the game for a bathroom break?

Sep 30, 2019, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Depends...... ]

Depends

—Trevor Lawrence

Actually that was wes welker...

Sep 30, 2019, 1:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwmtyHSpBmw

sure that wasn’t Chris Leak?***

Sep 30, 2019, 2:20 PM [ in reply to You know why I never leave the game for a bathroom break? ]

Or a check for every Clemson "16 with no name" jersey sold?

Sep 30, 2019, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Depends...... ]

But then how do you stop the rogue Alabama booster from just buying up 1000 jerseys with the backup left tackle's number on them so he can get that paycheck?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

This will be the end of college football as we know it

Sep 30, 2019, 12:40 PM

It will affect every aspect of the sport. Recruiting especially. Most kids will follow the money, eventually forcing every state to cave and allow this. Ticket prices for fans will go up. Sad.

Or, there will still be college football

Sep 30, 2019, 12:45 PM

because everyone loves college football. Tickets have been going up for years, and will continue to do so, no matter what. Anymore, actual game attendance is decreasingly important for teams, across all of pro and college sports.

Once players start following money instead of the love

Sep 30, 2019, 12:47 PM

of the game it won't be the same college football we know and love.

NFL sucks...you know why? Because of a bunch of overpaid crybabies. The same will happen to the college game.

And a handful of schools will be the only ones competing for titles every year because they have the deepest pockets.

I have to chuckle at "the same schools will be competing

Sep 30, 2019, 12:48 PM

for the title every year". When you get the irony of that statement, perhaps you will chuckle as well.

I get the irony. Are you suggesting that Bama, Clemson, etc

Sep 30, 2019, 12:52 PM

are paying their players? Or just that they recruit better based on recent success and historical success?

Unless you are assuming they pay their players then it's not ironic at all.

No, I'm saying if this results in the same teams winning

Sep 30, 2019, 12:55 PM

every year, then that will make college football....the same as it is now...

So you'd be ok with Louisville, for example, basically

Sep 30, 2019, 12:58 PM

"buying" a team of blue chip recruits because Papa John's could offer multiple players multi-million dollar endorsement deal that relied on them attending U of L? Because that's what will happen. Teams with wealthy, famous alumni that own corporations, etc will buy teams.

Do you think this would be rather short term though?

Sep 30, 2019, 1:04 PM

Like how many college busts could these corporations afford to pay before they stopped? I don't think the shareholders would stand for that for too long. Now the more local things or smaller dollar figures are a different story.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Possibly. But the fact it could happen that way at all is

Sep 30, 2019, 1:10 PM

a problem. It doesn't go along with why we love college ball. We love the recruiting. Schools clammering over players and working hard to land them, etc.

Hell, Clemson would be in one of the best situations to take advantage of this because of our current success and trendiness, but I don't like it a bit.

Recruiting is all about money, right now, in 2019.

Sep 30, 2019, 1:25 PM

Why do you think schools are spending millions and millions on facilities? To recruit players! Not because the players need the 3-acre weight room with 4K TVs all over the place for their safety and well-being.

I understand your stance but we will just agree to disagree

Sep 30, 2019, 1:40 PM

the negative consequences of something like this FAR outweight the positives and I think you'll recognize that pretty quickly if the states go this route.

I wouldn't be OK with that...

Sep 30, 2019, 1:21 PM [ in reply to So you'd be ok with Louisville, for example, basically ]

But I am in favor of athletes being able to make money from their likeness and image.

I think your prediction is very extreme and unlikely to come to pass.

And, of course, this is not about the schools paying players

Sep 30, 2019, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Once players start following money instead of the love ]

This is about Kellogg, or Nike, or Pizza Hut paying players.

The same was said of differing stipends with athletes

Sep 30, 2019, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Once players start following money instead of the love ]

choosing the schools with the largest stipends. Not happening.

"A handful of schools will be the only ones competing for titles every year..."

That is exactly what is happening right now.

Also, the NFL is enjoying its greatest popularity ever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THings like this are why people love college football

Sep 30, 2019, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Or, there will still be college football ]

and hate pro football. Expect to see a massive shift to high school football depending on how this plays out.

Next domino is for the NCAA to decertify every California school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Given that pro football is and has always been more

Sep 30, 2019, 1:51 PM

popular than college football, should it stand to reason that this would actually increase college football popularity?

no***

Sep 30, 2019, 1:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and I feel fine***

Sep 30, 2019, 1:43 PM [ in reply to This will be the end of college football as we know it ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Good.

Sep 30, 2019, 12:46 PM

This will destroy life as we know it on the planet Earth.

Just kidding. It's about darn time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We can add it to the list of things that will destroy

Sep 30, 2019, 12:54 PM

college football, like the forward pass, and a playoff.

and stipends.***

Sep 30, 2019, 12:57 PM

Can Joe RestaurantOwner (a big UCLA fan) pay TL

Sep 30, 2019, 12:49 PM

$5 million to appear in a TV ad for his restaurant? If so, does that make TL more likely to go to Clemson or UCLA?

"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nah, but is it outlandish to think the likes of

Sep 30, 2019, 12:56 PM

Matthew McConaughey couldn't funnel some money though a local car dealer to pay some folks.

I am one that thinks the players should get more actual cash, but I also see this as a thing that rips teams apart even before the transfer portal.

Jealousy and such.

No need to funnel money - it's OK to pay players

Sep 30, 2019, 1:10 PM

now (in California). Any rich booster with a business can pay... You'll see a Nike commercial featuring every player on the Oregon team - and they'll each get paid $200K for the ad.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

then they will spend on stuff that gets them suspended

Sep 30, 2019, 1:15 PM

And end up broke and uneducated and unemployable.

Then they become drug dealers and make WAY more money.

You will not see every Oregon player getting paid $200k

Sep 30, 2019, 1:33 PM [ in reply to No need to funnel money - it's OK to pay players ]

per year. Phil does have people to answer to you know, and too many of those cats won't return value.

Phil can pay them out of his own pocket.***

Sep 30, 2019, 2:01 PM

Now thay he may do, until a few guys don't

Sep 30, 2019, 3:00 PM

bring the ROI that he wants.

What if the NCAA revokes the membership for all schools

Sep 30, 2019, 1:17 PM

from California and not allow competition with NCAA member schools (or doesn't count w/L, stats etc.)?

Would be interesting to see where that would go...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

I don't think it will happen, because I think they will

Sep 30, 2019, 1:22 PM

have to act themselves, sometime around when the 15th or 20th state does this over the next while.

probably not that far fetched***

Sep 30, 2019, 1:23 PM [ in reply to What if the NCAA revokes the membership for all schools ]

Re: Fair is fair...the first domino falls.

Sep 30, 2019, 1:30 PM

“We try to teach our guys, use football to create the opportunities, take advantage of the platform and the brand and the marketing you have available to you. But as far as paying players, professionalizing college athletics, that's where you lose me. I’ll go do something else, because there's enough entitlement in this world as it is.”

Wonder how entitled one must be to take

Sep 30, 2019, 1:36 PM

almost $10 million a year in salary to coach the game.

You get paid what you're worth in your industry

Sep 30, 2019, 1:38 PM

Are you overpaid at your job?

I agree...my post was being ironic.

Sep 30, 2019, 1:50 PM

I think Dabo should make $50 million a year, and not feel "entitled" if he did. Same for the players.

actually your post was being sarcastic.***

Sep 30, 2019, 1:54 PM

An overused word, but...

Sep 30, 2019, 1:56 PM

yeah, it probably was. (Not that it doesn't make it ironic...sarcasm is a subset of irony.)

wouldn’t that make TOTE’s post the ironic one?

Sep 30, 2019, 2:23 PM

You weren’t being ironic, you were pointing out irony.

(Note to anyone reading this—I’m only this pedantic with Prod because that’s what we do.)

do you think high school players should be paid as well

Sep 11, 2022, 10:45 PM [ in reply to I agree...my post was being ironic. ]

their likeness is on tickets, programs, banners, etc

They are amateur athletes just like college players. That will be next. Lawsuits for high school kids to get paid.

And once you get paid you are no longer considered an amateur, so do the players under this new law have to pay for their own insurance, health care, etc? They no longer have to be covered under a school policy if they are being paid.

Whoa, be careful...

Sep 30, 2019, 1:58 PM

not on tickets, etc. That sounds like the schools giving the money, which is not what this thread is about.

But, if some company wants to put a high school player in a commercial, how can I argue that's any different from some random child actor, who gets paid? I personally think a company would be pretty dumb to do that, but it's their money.

Ok, let;s put it this way

Sep 30, 2019, 2:01 PM

Someone owns an apartment complex in town. A star athlete and his family from another town over gets free rent in this complex to come play for that town's high school team. They use the kid on their commercial. Are you ok with this?

BAsically his "pay" for the "endorsement" is free rent for his family.

Message was edited by: tmitchell27®

Re: Ok, let;s put it this way

Sep 30, 2019, 2:03 PM

"gets free rent in this complex to come play for that town's high school team. " This is against the rules, and would remain so.

This is not about paying players to play for a team. This is about a player being able to choose to use his image to make money, if his image is marketable.

Nevermind...

Sep 30, 2019, 2:07 PM

compensation comes in many forms other than cash. This will open doors for all kinds of people to take advantage of young kids that want/need money and will be awful for the game. Just my opinion, obviously so it's not worth much.

Not trying to argue, just trying to have a conversation about it. Good day!

Yes - it IS about paying players to play for a team. The

Sep 30, 2019, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Ok, let;s put it this way ]

rule about players not being able to work exists because it was an easy way for boosters to pay players. (The $1000/week job to turn on the automatic sprinklers.)

In California, it's now OK to pay a UCLA player to appear in an ad for your business. What's to stop a booster from paying $1 million to a kid for the ad? The booster doesn't want the kids likeness - he just wants the kid to play at his school.

Maybe, as you say - they deserve to be paid - but it will definitely completely change college sports...

Who are our 5 stars from CA? Expect them to bolt for greenr

Sep 30, 2019, 1:43 PM

pastures?

It doesn't start until 2023...***

Sep 30, 2019, 2:06 PM

well i guess we can hypothetically win 4 more natties

Sep 30, 2019, 2:14 PM

before dabo retires

Re: It doesn't start until 2023...***

Sep 30, 2019, 2:15 PM [ in reply to It doesn't start until 2023...*** ]

Big City teams like UCLA will love this when it happens. Just think how many more endorsement opportunities there will be for a player or players in LA compared to Clemson SC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good.***

Sep 30, 2019, 3:31 PM [ in reply to It doesn't start until 2023...*** ]

Maybe they should have the option of receiving a scholarship

Sep 30, 2019, 2:20 PM

or paid endorsements and pay their own way?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I suppose the NCAA could say "Sure, go ahead and take the

Sep 30, 2019, 2:24 PM

money" and at the same time say "Your school is no longer eligible to compete in OUR sanctioned events". So players at UCLA, Stanford, Cal, USC would pad their bank accounts by playing schools like Occidnetal, UC Santa Barbara, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, or California Lutheran, and their highlights would be viewed by tens of people on YouTube every week.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you think no change then for cal schools? ***

Sep 30, 2019, 2:27 PM

Huge change, actually.

Sep 30, 2019, 2:35 PM

Once this law becomes active, players will pay for their OWN cocaine and prostitutes.

Fair is fair.

Won't be long now before the tax-exempt status of college

Sep 30, 2019, 2:27 PM

sports gets revoked...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/sunday-review/college-sports-tax-dodge.html

"The tax-exempt nature of college sports is not the cause of these problems. Rather, it is rocket fuel for an engine that has escaped the gravitational pull of common sense and decency.

To understand how this is possible, consider the balance sheet of the Atlantic Coast Conference, home of the 2017 national champions in football, Clemson, and men’s basketball, North Carolina. Its corporate sponsors include Toyota, Gatorade and Geico. When the conference filed its annual tax return for 2015, it reported about a quarter-billion dollars from broadcasting games for its member universities, as well as $147 million in other sports-related revenue. Its commissioner earned $2.9 million. The A.C.C. was a huge commercial success with income that would normally generate a huge tax bill.

But no taxes were owed. As the conference explained in its filing with the Internal Revenue Service, the Atlantic Coast and its member schools are nonprofit charitable organizations that place an emphasis on “academic excellence.”

“The Atlantic Coast Conference,” it said, “seeks to maximize the educational and athletic opportunities of its student-athletes, while enriching their quality of life.”"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting.

Sep 30, 2019, 2:37 PM

So, I guess we finally get UNC the way government got Al Capone, right?

Tax. Evasion.

Kelly bryant played his ### off to win the 2017

Sep 30, 2019, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Won't be long now before the tax-exempt status of college ]

national championship

NFL got rid of their tax exempt status. So now you cant

Sep 30, 2019, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Won't be long now before the tax-exempt status of college ]

criticize them. Not that i care. But their tax bill is small because they distribute most revenue to the owners/teams. Those are the entities that pay the taxes. The ACC will not be paying taxes on a quarter billion dollars revenue. They will distribute that money. And god knows the schools dont pay taxes on it.

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Replies: 79
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic