Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Once in a generation or maybe more...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Once in a generation or maybe more...

Sep 5, 2017, 9:40 AM

We often see articles about players like Spiller, Watson, and Trevor Lawrence being "once in a generation" players. I completely agree with that type of rhetoric. What we don't see (unless I've missed it which is possible) is the talk of once in a generation coaches. Dabo is great example of being once in a generation, or more depending on how long he stays. We are lucky to have him and everything he has done and is doing for Clemson. There aren't many current coaches that we can say that about around college football at the moment.

Ok, that was the feel good message for the day.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Once in a generation or maybe more...

Sep 5, 2017, 10:42 AM

What is your definition of a generation in terms of length of time? An American typically lives for 72.5 years so does once in a generation mean once every 72.5 years?

A generation is traditionally 20 years. Actually 25ish years

Sep 5, 2017, 10:45 AM

HTH

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: A generation is traditionally 20 years. Actually 25ish years

Sep 5, 2017, 10:52 AM

It use to be said as 40 in typical life but this is about a sports shelf life, so 40 is a bit long for that. 20 sounds about right.

Watson was great but TL is right behind him 2 years removed from Clemson. I can't stand this term. Mainly because the talking heads use it to knock our program. I made a post about this this past week.

Spiller was a bit more true because of his speed and agility. His quickness was a blend in the speed/agility. That is seldom seen anywhere. Still, there are players that come in slightly different but effective nonetheless.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 5, 2017, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Once in a generation or maybe more... ]

I think of a generation as roughly 20 years.

And I also think we're getting more "generational" talent than we used to. Rather than having one or two special players per season, we now have a cupboard full of them. May our special time live on forever!

Go Tigers!

WL

Sep 5, 2017, 11:01 AM

Exactly; my post a few days ago touched on our current state in recruiting was at a reload level, which makes this term not as true for us anymore.

I still think Spiller is the closest to being such. Even with our improved recruiting no player like CJ has come back through our program, since him.

Sep 6, 2017, 8:04 AM

Sammy was close. Had he stayed out of trouble and played four years we'd be awaiting his ROH announcement as well.

WL

Once in a decade would be a more apt term.***

Sep 5, 2017, 10:47 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Once in a decade would be a more apt term.***

Sep 5, 2017, 11:03 AM

That is closer. However, Spiller is the lone player that comes close to fitting this term, imo.

I would tend to agree with Spiller because he changed

Sep 5, 2017, 12:39 PM

recruiting and the image of the program. I guess at the end of the day though for players (and maybe for coaches) it's all subjective based on the program. Spiller is one of my, if not, my favorite player we have had come through. Would he be viewed in the same light if we went to Ohio State or Alabama or some place like that that is accustomed to getting the best recruits. Similarly now looking ahead at TL (and I realize he hasn't played a down yet in college) but maybe you don't get the same feeling because we just had Watson come through. Also, Dexter could be a generational player when it's all said and done, but we have been spoiled with d-Lineman the last decade.

And maybe all of this points to the fact that declaring coaches generational is much easier.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic