Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 2012 (19)Clemson- 38 Virginia Tech- 17
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,052

On This Date: 2012 (19)Clemson- 38 Virginia Tech- 17

Oct 20, 2016, 9:43 AM

Jonathan Meeks' pick-six highlights big day for Clemson D vs. VT

https://youtu.be/0w8JEcG5ZH8

10/20/12
CLEMSON, S.C. -- It was easy to spot the happiest guy in Clemson's locker room -- defensive coordinator Brent Venables.

Venables had spent most of his first season watching his Tigers (No. 19 BCS, No. 14 AP) struggle against opponents big and small. But with one of the Atlantic Coast Conference's best players in Logan Thomas (LOL) in to lead Virginia Tech, Clemson's defenders put together their best effort of the season.

The Tigers got three interceptions -- two off Thomas -- and made a pair of fourth-down stops in a 38-17 victory over the Hokies on Saturday.

Clemson (6-1, 4-1 ACC) came in 10th in the 12-team conference in yards given up at more than 445 yards per game. Virginia Tech (4-4, 2-2) gained 406, all but 100 of those by Thomas. But it was the Tigers' defense that turned things around against the fired-up Hokies.

"We don't have to play like Alabama yet," Venables said with a grin. "Although we'd like to. But we can definitely play better than we have up to this point and hopefully, today was a sign of moving in the right direction."

Jonathan Meeks had two interceptions, including one he took back for a 74-yard touchdown off Thomas.

"I knew right away," Thomas said of his sailing throw.

Tajh Boyd ran for two touchdowns and passed for another for the Tigers, who were held to their lowest offensive output of the season at 295 yards. Boyd thought the team didn't come out as strong as he hoped for their first game in two weeks. Still, Boyd said, in other seasons, such a showing would lead to defeat.

"I think it shows how far we've come," he said.

Andre Ellington had a 12-yard touchdown run and 96 yards for the Tigers. All-American receiver Sammy Watkins had his most productive game this season with eight catches for 84 yards.

Tigers coach Dabo Swinney knew it was the defense that led the way in Clemson's third straight victory over Virginia Tech.

"They had a great performance," Swinney said. "From the sidelines, I believe it was their best effort."

Boyd was 12 of 21 for 160 yards, 131 fewer than he averages.

Clemson tied a school record with its 11th straight home victory, something it had done twice before from 1937-42 and 1989-91. To match the mark this time, the Tigers had to count on their usually unreliable defense as their high-flying offense was largely grounded.

Thomas had 207 yards passing and a 29-yard TD throw to Corey Fuller. He also rushed for 99 yards, including a 19-yard scoring run in the final quarter that gave the Hokies hope of a rally down 31-17.

But Virginia Tech tried some trickery on its next series. Marcus Davis' weak throw across the field after taking a pitch was easily picked off by Xavier Brewer. Boyd put the game away a short time later with his second 1-yard scoring run.

The Hokies looked to gain a hammerlock early when, up 7-0, they tried to pick up a first down inside Clemson's 20 by twice rushing Michael Holmes on short yardage. Holmes was stopped twice, and Clemson took away the momentum.

"We had the chance there to really get up by a couple of touchdowns, and that makes it a different game," Hokies coach Frank Beamer said. "But give them credit. They did a nice job."

Instead of trailing 14-0, Clemson began its comeback with Chandler Catanzaro's 27-yard field goal -- his 20th straight made kick since last season.

Meeks got the first of his two interceptions on Virginia Tech's next series, grabbing Thomas' sailing pass right before going out of bounds. The Hokies gave Clemson even more help on the drive, a short punt bouncing off a Virginia Tech player that Tony Steward recovered as the Tigers kept the ball. Boyd put them ahead for good moments later with a leaping, 1-yard TD.

Two series later, Meeks was at it again, this time swiping Thomas' pass in the open field and running 74 yards for the score.

Clemson's attack finally got going after halftime. Ellington's touchdown run ended a 52-yard drive before Boyd hit DeAndre Hopkins with a 37-yard scoring pass the next time Clemson had the ball to go up 31-10.

Boyd was sacked five times after Clemson had allowed 10 in its first six games.

Virginia Tech had entered this one stung by last year's failures against the Tigers. After dominating Clemson for more than a decade, the Hokies were overrun in two games last year, including a 38-10 loss in the ACC title game.

Clemson celebrated Military Appreciation Day and had walk-on receiver Daniel Rodriguez, a U.S. Army veteran who was awarded a Purple Heart and Bronze Star, lead the team's charge down the hill into the stadium carrying the American flag to loud cheers. Rodriguez was also an honorary captain against Virginia Tech, the team he grew up following.

"Everything just aligned for me in the game," Rodriguez said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

MAN! Did you see

Oct 20, 2016, 9:47 AM

how tall Logan Thomas is?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: MAN! Did you see

Oct 20, 2016, 10:09 AM

He is soooo tall!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Speaking of VT, where is the VT moran who was here a

Oct 20, 2016, 9:47 AM

week ago bragging about how they were ready for Clemson in the ACCCG, their defense is incredible and they have the best WRs in the country? Syracuse taking a dump in Bud Foster's lunch pail must've shut up those wannabes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Found it...

Oct 20, 2016, 9:52 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=20210445

864Hokie we miss ewe, come back!

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Speaking of VT, where is the VT moran who was here a

Nov 8, 2016, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Speaking of VT, where is the VT moran who was here a ]

No I'm right here little man. We fell into a trap game. We're still 7-2 (5-1) and ranked in the top 20. Klempsun still doesn't scare me as much as other teams have in the past and you're still getting riled up over a freaking message board poster like me.

First of all, If you're gonna call me a moron at least learn

Nov 8, 2016, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Speaking of VT, where is the VT moran who was here a ]

to spell the word first. It's not rocket science. Second of all, my point was VT would not be intimidated being on the same field as Clemson. They've seen teams just as talented if not more talented. Don't understand whats wrong with that statement. Third of all, Syracuse was a classic trap game for us. Being a Clemson fan I would think you would know a little something about trap games considering a word was designated to describe Clemson losing trap games. And finally, we are 3-0 since that game with wins over Miami, Pitt, and Duke, all of which whom are better teams and our trio of receivers of Ford, Phillips, and Hodges have as good of stats as any trio of receivers in the country.

So before you go taking my posts out of context days after I posted it, make sure you know your facts, and ESPECIALLY make sure you can spell the word you intend to insult me with. Remember GWPTiger, its M-O-R-O-N.

But, what about seeing teams less talented and getting

Nov 8, 2016, 1:41 PM

the sh!t kicked out of you, such as Tennessee???

What's your point? Yes, we fumbled the ball 5 times and loss

Nov 8, 2016, 2:18 PM

I'm not saying we will beat Clemson. I'm saying we are fully capable of beating Clemson. Do I expect us too? No, but if Troy and NC State can take you guys to the wire, then I am fully confident in a revamped Bud Foster defense and the best offense VT has seen in over a decade to give you guys trouble. It's like you guys just look for reasons to argue. READ WHAT I SAY. I'm not on this board to attack Clemson fans. Trust me the whole world knows how good y'all are. That doesn't mean you're the '72 Dolphins. Simply here to discuss what could potentially be a fantastic football game.

I was working in Richmond, Va. that year handling Hurricane Irene Claims.

Oct 20, 2016, 10:04 AM

I brought a suit case full of Orange Clemson apparel to wear while I was there for 3 months. Almost went to the game but had to much work to do. Also, missed the NASCAR race at Richmond too.

Got lots of stares after Clemson beat VT. But overall the VT fans were really nice people and took the lose like good sports.

That was a big win for Clemson because it showed our opponents that there was something special developing in Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: On This Date: 2012 (19)Clemson- 38 Virginia Tech- 17

Oct 20, 2016, 10:38 AM

The last play in this video is the formation and play I wish we'd run more.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watched it in a hospital room not long before my

Oct 20, 2016, 10:43 AM

daughter was born.

Re: On This Date: 2012 (19)Clemson- 38 Virginia Tech- 17

Oct 20, 2016, 10:46 AM

Two things- Tall man doesnt win and their trick plays were so lame and blew up in their face. As one w family around SW Va I loved it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I NEVER considered Logan Thomas one of the ACC's best.

Oct 20, 2016, 2:59 PM

He was really tall, and that was pretty much it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The majority of VT fans would agree with you. His first year

Nov 8, 2016, 2:27 PM

as the starter was 2011 when y'all beat us twice. He actually had a historic year for us that year considering his only loss in the regular season was to Clemson as well as the ACC championship. He broke numerous passing records that year which gave him the hype. However, that year he had the all time single season leading rusher in the backfield as well as the top two receivers in Tech history at the time in terms of stats to throw too. After, 2011 all of those weapons were gone and LT never hit the stride he was in his first year as the starter. 3 of the 4 years he was at Tech, he was really just a big mobile quarterback with a strong arm, but never developed into a complete QB.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,052
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic