Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 1981 Clemson- 13 Tulane- 5
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

On This Date: 1981 Clemson- 13 Tulane- 5

Sep 12, 2020, 10:02 AM

09/12/1981

Superdome- New Orleans, LA

Clemson Tops Tulane, 13-5

By:LLOYD SCHWED

NEW ORLEANS -- Clemson's Bob Pauling drilled field goals of 31 and 37 yards in the fourth quarter Saturday and running sensation Cliff Austin bulled his way for a 7-yard touchdown to lead the Tigers to a 13-5 victory over a fumbling Tulane Green Wave.

The Green Wave turned over the ball a total of seven times in the game, which set up all of the Tigers' scoring opportunities.

Clemson provided Tulane with a golden opportunity midway through the third quarter when Chuck McSwain fumbled and the Green Wave recovered on the Tigers' 27.

Six plays later, however, sophomore quarterback Wade Elmore fired the ball into the end zone and safety Terry Kinard grabbed the interception.

Clemson quarterback Homer Jordon mixed the run with the pass to mount a smoothe, 54-yard drive to Tulane's 14, but the Green Wave held firm and Clemson was forced to settle for a 31-yard field goal from Pauling.

Two plays later, second string quarterback Paul Catanese threw an interception into the hands of safety Tim Childers, which Clemson converted into a 13-5 advantage on a 37-yard field goal by Pauling.

The first 10 minutes of the game were deadlocked with strong defensive domination, but quickly turned into a slip-shod free-for-all marred by five fumbles and two interceptions before the half.

Clemson benefitted most from the turnovers, however, picking off two interceptions and recovering two fumbles.

Tulane's Vince Manalla put the first points on the board with a 46-yard field goal that gave the Green Wave a 3-0 lead.

On the ensuing drive, Clemson couldn't move the ball and was forced to punt, but a bad snap skidded into the end zone and punter Dale Hatcher fell on top of the ball for a safety and a 5-0 Tulane lead.

Turnovers ended several scoring drives for both teams until Tulane half back Marvin Lewis fumbled on his own 25 midway into the second quarter.

Five plays later, Austin bulled his way for 5 yards and a 7-5 advantage, which held up until halftime. The Clemson speedster racked up a total of 60 hard-fought yards on 17 carries.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Only beat Tulane by 8?!? That team sux!!!

Sep 12, 2020, 10:07 AM

They’ll be lucky to make it to the Bluebonnet Bowl.

??

~JKB

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: On This Date: 1981 Clemson- 13 Tulane- 5

Sep 12, 2020, 10:10 AM

I was there. Flew down to NO, spent the weekend with a buddy of mine working outside NO, saw the Tigers pull out the win and drove back with 2 more friends. We had an ice chest full of fresh off the boat jumbo shrimp. About 7 weeks later, cooked all the ones I had frozen for a few friends to celebrate the birth of my son.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2020, 11:12 AM

I was there as well. My family lived about 30 minutes from Tulane, and we drove down. A bunch of students road tripping with a borrowed RV. Future Four Star General Jay Raymond was among us. I'll always remember the looks on their faces as they exited the RV into the humidity of New Orleans.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2020, 10:13 AM

I think Hatcher hit the scoreboard in warm ups

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looked up Tulane's record that year. They were 6-5, but

Sep 12, 2020, 10:14 AM

the names will Bottle the Mime.

Losses to Clemson, Ole Miss, RICE, SOUTHERN MISS, and CINCINNATI.

But, get this, WINS over: Georgia Tech, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Air Force, Memphis, and a season ending 48-7 ROUT of LSU. My, how times have changed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2020, 11:15 AM

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Bustin' Loose!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic