Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Olympic uniforms made in China - Sen. Harry Reid says...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Olympic uniforms made in China - Sen. Harry Reid says...

Jul 13, 2012, 9:44 AM

"Burn 'em". Sounds patriotic on the surface, but does anyone know if he supported legislation that sent all out textile jobs overseas?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Olympic uniforms made in China - Sen. Harry Reid says...

Jul 13, 2012, 9:51 AM

And the Chinese control how much of our nation's debt because of the lame-ass work of our Congress?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2012, 9:53 AM

I work at a plant in the USA, for a Dutch company, that sells polymer to China, so they can make nylon that goes into clothing. They then turnaround and sell that clothing to the people of the USA. Sounds like a healthy global economic model to me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2012, 10:02 AM

It is except we are completely capable of producing the same quality of nylon in the US. The reason we ship it to China is the cost of labor is much less. It cost less to sell it to China to create nylon and buy it back than it does for us to produce it. If companies would pay a little more for labor cost we could keep manufacturing in the US and generate more money and jobs for our country.

Having worked in manufacturing I understand the process and that businesses are looking our for their own bottom line, but the Olympic committee is representing the United States and should remember that when making this type of decision.

null

Jul 13, 2012, 10:55 AM

WHY NOT PUT ALL OF THE ILLEGALS, THAT WE REFUSE TO SEND THEM BACK HOME, TO WORK HERE.THEY ARE WILLING TO WORK FOR LESS ALREADY.

Jul 13, 2012, 9:54 AM

The Asians stole those jobs from the Upstate the same way the Upstate stole them from New England. The same way New England stole them from Manchester.

And what do we do with uniforms made in China??

Jul 13, 2012, 9:57 AM

BURN THEM!!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2012, 9:57 AM

all the people in Congress that are so "outraged did this". Hypocrisy to the highest

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's an idiot...all his clothes he's wearing probably came

Jul 13, 2012, 10:00 AM

From China

Jul 13, 2012, 10:20 AM

it is a typical political response. it is all about the dollar. it cost much less to buy them in china than have them made in usa, we cant compete with china because they are a communist country and get free labor from their workers. how do we compete with free labor? most everything in the usa is not made here.

Uh...wut? Labor in China isn't free. ******

Jul 13, 2012, 10:22 AM

null

Re: Uh...wut? Labor in China isn't free. ******

Jul 13, 2012, 12:09 PM

are you aware of how a communist country works? how do you think china is able to sell goods cheaper than any other country?

This is weird. Do you think Chinese laborers are slaves?******

Jul 13, 2012, 12:28 PM

null

Jul 13, 2012, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Uh...wut? Labor in China isn't free. ****** ]

China does not have an all out Soviet-style centrally planned economy that you are thinking of when you refer to communism.

China's economic system is referred to as "state capitalism" and has a market economy based on private property ownership. It's been that way since the great reforms of 1978 and this system has created a lot of economic growth in China which is why it's been popular in the last few years to talk about China as a potential superpower.

I personally think China has a long way to go in terms of reform and a lot of corruption to stamp out before they realize that potential, but I just wanted to correct your assessment that they are a centrally run communist state.

Go Mmerika!

Jul 13, 2012, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Uh...wut? Labor in China isn't free. ****** ]

no! I talked with major textile co owner several months ago..he took 2 plants overseas due to labor cost.. he pays $2 hour in Hondurs(sp?).. he also does not have all the EPA CRAP to deal with.. he is opening new plant in
China where NOTHING gets in his way and he can pay $2 a day and get good labor!!!!IN the USA the THREAT of UNIONS is also major problem!!! take this for what U will but it is major problem

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's fine. Everyone understands that. It's always fluid.

Jul 13, 2012, 3:35 PM

China is considerably cheaper labor than the U.S. They have over a billion people and a garbage standard of living. Young men and women come in from the farms in the inner country and work in the factories for what we consider very low wages and what they consider a killing. However, it's always fluid. Chinese laborers are constantly demanding more money and many factories are seeing their labor rates increase significantly. Add to that the costs of coordinating a relationship on the other side of the planet, and of course the freight costs, and it starts to get less attractive. When gas was peaking it was very expensive to ship from China. So, as their rates continue to increase, businesses will look to what's next. Thailand? Vietnam? Africa?

null

Do we have ANY adults in congress?

Jul 13, 2012, 10:23 AM

I like the idea of having their uniforms made in the U.S., but they weren't. Move on. Don't spend time taking political grandstands about Olympic uniforms made in China when almost all of our clothing is made in Asia. Be an adult, Harry. You have more important things to do.

null

This guy's FOS - he'll say anything that he thinks.....

Jul 13, 2012, 10:24 AM

will make him look good - he was lucky to get reelected this last time.

What a typical politician.

Typical Congress....

Jul 13, 2012, 10:28 AM

A day late (should I say years) and a dollar (That would be trillions) short.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2012, 10:52 AM

I HATE THIS TO, BUT BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT CLEMSON SHIRT FROM KNICKERBOCKERS, CHECK OUT WHERE IT IS MADE.IF YOU FIND ONE FROM USA,LET ME KNOW, SO I CAN BUY ONE.

But he is ok with forcing me to buy govt health ins!!!!!!!!

Jul 13, 2012, 1:44 PM

N/M

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ironic, since he supports the unions that push businesses

Jul 13, 2012, 2:47 PM

Overseas.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic