Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Oliver Purnell: I still don't get it...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 4,042

Oliver Purnell: I still don't get it...

Feb 7, 2015, 7:41 PM

He is well on his way to his FIFTH losing season at DePaul. He has not turned things around and probably will get fired. WHY DID HE LEAVE AN ACC PROGRAM HE WAS WINNING AT TO GO TO DEPAUL?? Was there something else going on in Clemson or was he just not happy here?
Don't get me wrong, I think Brad Brownell has done a great job and I am very happy with him, he's a class guy and a smart coach...I think he needs better recruits and talent however.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chicago.***

Feb 7, 2015, 7:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He doubled his salary***

Feb 7, 2015, 7:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Least it sounded good***

Feb 7, 2015, 7:47 PM

Not sure, thinking= $$$$***

Feb 7, 2015, 7:47 PM

Don't know, but glad he did!***

Feb 7, 2015, 7:48 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Makes you wonder...

Feb 7, 2015, 7:56 PM

He got a boatload of money, but Clemson didn't even make a serious attempt to keep him.
Was there something the fans aren't aware of?
But, if you could double your salary, wouldn't you?
Go Tigers!!

Why would any of them leave the best bball conf?

Feb 7, 2015, 7:58 PM

To me it is simple- duke and unc are in complete control. My 2 jaded cents

Also...

Feb 7, 2015, 8:06 PM

Clemson was the first time Coach Purnell was at a "football" school. Wonder if the culture here played a part?
Go Tigers!!

I get it

Feb 7, 2015, 8:22 PM

Purnell said he liked to turn programs around.

Clemson was going to be barren and everyone would have freaked if he were coach during the downturn.

Purnell had over come football, said Clemson was an athletic school. (Which several football recruits noted recently after seeing passion of LA.)

He thought Chicago would be recruit rich but actually the AAU coaches have created an issue getting those recruits because he didn't cater to them.

Am very happy with Brownell. Hope LJ gets as loud as it was the last time we had a four game win streak in the Acc.

I think OP realized he had peaked at Clemson. He saw that he

Feb 7, 2015, 10:03 PM

just wasn't going to be able to get the recruits he needed to compete with the upper tier of the ACC year-in, year-out. He had taken us as far as he could with his style of basketball and with the caliber of players he was able to get. His star wasn't rising any higher here, so he got out while bigger offers were still on the table.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I think OP realized he had peaked at Clemson. He saw that he

Feb 7, 2015, 11:09 PM

I think you hit the Nail on the Head! He reached his level of competence and took the money left! I know this will sound bad but I still laugh when Depaul loses - just because he is the Coach. Our program while behind a few years because of him leaving is catching up now and if Brownell can get some good Recruits. ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Re: I think OP realized he had peaked at Clemson. He saw that he

Feb 7, 2015, 11:52 PM

I think he had the same problem that Barnes had, a problem with his pants.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point. Agree 100%.***

Feb 8, 2015, 12:59 AM [ in reply to I think OP realized he had peaked at Clemson. He saw that he ]

null

Re: Oliver Purnell: I still don't get it...

Feb 8, 2015, 12:03 AM

He was pretty much forced out, don't know all the details or if it was true but the last poster hit it, he had an issue keeping his pants up around a woman that wasn't his wife, I have heard she pretty much decided they were leaving after all that

Replies: 14
| visibility 4,042
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic