Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Old Jeeps & The Groves at Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,454

Old Jeeps & The Groves at Clemson

Jun 27, 2017, 11:08 PM

Thinking back on some good memories of riding through the groves at Clemson 20 years or so ago, I remembered that there are probably more like me on the board. So, it was time to post and get some good jeep and/or grove stories, if you've got one. I used to have a 1974 CJ5, 304 of course with headers with 33's. Sold that for a 85 CJ 7, Straight 6 with 33's, but became a money pit. Finally ran across a 77 CJ 7, 304, good shape and of course, another set of 33's. KO All-terrain, couldn't afford mud terrain, was back in school in those days wheelin' and deelin' for jeeps. I now have a service van and an old Cherokee that I've had for about 8 years. Straight 6, can't kill it, jeep has been the most dependable vehicle I've ever owned.

Though I wished I had been able to keep at least one of my old CJ's, I had to sell them all to pay for school. Looking back, I shouldn't have let that last one go. There's just something about American made steel firing up against a 304 AMC, the firing order I've heard from mechanics. Riding through the groves back in the day with other jeep enthusiasts, before the invention of the fiberglass jeep body. I remember some good old days around Clemson as a teenager at the groves. As far as only the Cherokee now, lol, hey, at least I still ended up with a jeep. Work & responsibilities make us give up things sometimes. The groves at Clemson presented some steep mud holes, hills, and a pretty good trail just for riding and seeing who could get to the lake first. No big challenge, but fun nonetheless. I know there are some others on the board that I may have crossed paths with on a trail at some point in time. With Hinkles being just up the road from CU, I know we've got some jeep enthusiasts on here.

Go Tigers

Message was edited by: ATech®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I drive the last year of the straight 6 in a Wrangler..2004

Jun 27, 2017, 11:15 PM

Rubicon.

My friend had a CJ 5 3 speed that was fun but dangerous.

I occasionally think about getting rid of the Wrangler since I rarely take it off road, but I know I would regret selling it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Old Jeeps & The Groves at Clemson

Jun 27, 2017, 11:31 PM

I was at Clemson 95-00. Don't remember the Groves. Where exactly was that at?

Jun 27, 2017, 11:55 PM

Fants Grove Rd. meets up with Centerville Rd. In Anderson county where Pickens line meets. Half of Clemson Research Property in Anderson the other in Pickens. Right around that line, many trails they called the groves.

Jun 28, 2017, 12:34 AM

I assume they aren't accessible anymore?

Jun 28, 2017, 12:44 AM

Really, I don't know. I've seen a lot of horse back riding going on over there, but that's only when I occasionally drive by. I haven't ridden those trails in a very long time. I would think since CU has expanded their agricultural and horticultural programs that they might even be using that property, or the property next to it now. If you're asking for trail riding purposes by 4x4, I wouldn't have a clue if that place is still accessible to the public for riding. It used to be considered " outskirts " of Clemson property and wasn't even used back then. Many rode those trails off of Fants Grove Rd. back in the day.

Message was edited by: ATech®

This should make you feel good

Jun 28, 2017, 12:12 AM

I'm a Grand Cherokee man myself

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/422907001/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was driving a 73 Bronco in 96

Jun 28, 2017, 7:55 AM

I got to Clemson in 96 and I had a decent 73 Bronco. I drove it while I was restoring a white 83 CJ7 on 35s. I got the beep on the road in 97 and man it was a blast! I was in Alpha Gamma Rho and and became good buds with some Sigma Nus. Sometimes we would get really bored and would wheel in Fants Grove. Those 3' high earthened berms didn't have a chance. I miss those days of crawlin in my Jeep with a cooler full of good ideas and good friends!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,454
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic