Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Oklahoma DOES NOT deserve to be in.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Oklahoma DOES NOT deserve to be in.

Mar 7, 2018, 11:54 PM

18-13 and have been losing over and over lately. Losing record in conference. All this for 1 player who is overhyped

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t think they get in either.

Mar 8, 2018, 12:00 AM

They fall short of the 20 win mark that is generally needed, plus they have not played well the last 10 games. Their SOS is 24, and their RPI is 44. I just don’t see it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

They're still #36 in RPI

Mar 8, 2018, 12:03 AM

But no, I'm not terribly impressed by that team or by Trae Young.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Young is hard to figure out... he's a player for sure

Mar 8, 2018, 12:12 AM

leads the nation in both point and assists per game, but tends to force things sometimes. I think they play better when he is scoring 20-25 and not 40.

Re: Young is hard to figure out... he's a player for sure

Mar 8, 2018, 9:37 AM

I think they're just not that talented. He is for sure, and has done some amazing things this year, but one player can only carry so much.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting, when he scored 20-25 points this year OU is

Mar 8, 2018, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Young is hard to figure out... he's a player for sure ]

1-3. When he scored 40 or more OU is 3-1. Care to amend your opinion?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

not really... your point stands... but I just think other

Mar 8, 2018, 11:37 AM

guys need to score for them if they are going to be consistent. Young getting 25 is still a heck of a game, but you (OU fans) have to hope other guys step up and put more pressure on the defense.

He's an amazing talent, but they have struggled when teams committed to taking him away.

I think it will be hard to keep them out... although you

Mar 8, 2018, 12:11 AM

could certainly argue they should not be in...

Look at OKST, for example... They have similar record to OU, but also have 2 wins over Kansas and a win at WVU. However, their RPI is in the 80's.

The lowest RPI to ever get in is 67, I believe.

Re: Oklahoma DOES NOT deserve to be in.

Mar 8, 2018, 1:09 AM

I know that you're spot on with your assessment, but we have learned over years of watching how those guys in charge do things without caring about what anybody thinks or says about what their reasons are behind why they do or don't do, they just do it, and screw anyone who doesn't like or approve of it. We have fell victim to their choices of who gets in and who don't, many times.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

just saw a stat on Sportscenter that said, since the NCAAT

Mar 8, 2018, 1:16 AM

expanded in 1985, no team that went 2-8 over it's last 10 has received an at-large bid

OU is 0-10 in road/nuetral games since Jan. 1

Mar 8, 2018, 8:02 AM

I agree. They definitely don't deserve to be in and the only reason they're in is because of Trae Young. They wanna give him that platform to see what he can do. I agree with everything except you saying he's over hyped. Now that's just ridiculous...

Mar 8, 2018, 8:07 AM

Agreed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

You think Trae Young is overhyped?

Mar 8, 2018, 8:10 AM

27.4 points and 8.7 assists per game, against a top 25 SOS.

He's earned the hype.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

To the OP’s point, GWP...

Mar 8, 2018, 9:51 AM

.... Trae Young “...was amazing... constantly showcased on all highlight shows... and the odds on favorite as MVP...” (per all the talking heads) for the first two months of the season. Then, once opposing teams started focusing on him, he struggled, as did Oklahoma. For me, it was reminiscent of Lamar Jackson’s Heisman season.

Yes, his averages are still good, but the team’s success, or lack thereof, casts a cloud over him - and could be just cause to consider him as ‘over hyped’ imho.

While I don’t care to opine or declare him overhyped, I just don’t think Oklahoma belongs in the NCAAT.

$0.02

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh I totally agree with OP's point that Oklahoma doesn't

Mar 8, 2018, 10:23 AM

belong in the NCAA Tourney. But I disagree with calling Trae Young overhyped.

From a team perspective he just doesn't have any help and that's why they don't belong. As an individual, if he's struggled as you say he has, it just proves how good he really is. After the first two months of the season that you mentioned he's scored less than 20 points only 6 times in 19 games. He has scored less than 15 points only once all year and that was on the road at Kansas where he scored 11. During that same stretch after the first 2 months of the season where you say teams started focusing in on him he scored 40 or more points 3 times. After those first 2 months when teams started focusing in on him he averaged 26 points per game.

Those are impressive numbers while struggling.

Oklahoma's problem is on the defensive end of the court. They score plenty of points to win, but give up way too many points. In their 13 losses they have averaged 74 points/game. In contrast, in our losses we've averaged 63 points/game. You can't put the team's defensive struggles on Trae Young.

$0.02

Re: Oh I totally agree with OP's point that Oklahoma doesn't

Mar 8, 2018, 10:30 AM

To add on he had something like an 18 game streak of 20+ point games, including a 5 game streak of double-doubles.

Special talent, not a lot of help.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oh I totally agree with OP's point that Oklahoma doesn't

Mar 8, 2018, 12:03 PM

Good points both of you. I will concede to you on his talent, ability and no support.

I truly don’t follow (nor care for) Oklahoma, football or bball, thus I allowed the ‘Lamar Jackson effect’ to bias my view of Trae Young. And the “ ....I’m getting everyone’s best effort when going against me... life is hard...” comments when he did struggle didn’t help. (I think Gabe Davoe could sympathize, but don’t recall him complaining once teams concentrated on smothering him to eliminate open looks at the basket).

So, no more from me on the Okies... but hoping to hail Gabe regains ‘the magic’!

Because we ARE going to the dance!

GO TIGERS!!!!

I agree. They definitely should be out.

Mar 8, 2018, 9:57 AM

Last night on ESPN they mentioned them as a 9. I don't recall if that was before or after their loss.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic