Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So are political messages and belief systems going to be something
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

So are political messages and belief systems going to be something

Oct 4, 2020, 12:32 PM

we all wear on our clothes/outfits/uniforms?

Can I expect my dentist to have “unity“ or “love” written on her scrubs the next time I see her?

Is the guy who comes out to repair my HVAC going to have “vote” on his name patch on his shirt instead of his real name?

Is our military going to start having black lives matter on its uniforms?

Asking for a friend.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Why do you care?

Oct 4, 2020, 12:35 PM

Do you currently critique the clothing dentists, AC repairmen, and military wear? You must watch a lot of Bravo.

Asking for a friend.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Conventional wisdom holds that politics, religion, and other personal sayings

Oct 4, 2020, 12:40 PM

don’t belong in the workplace, especially in fields which use a uniform.

Breaking from the concept of a basic uniform in various fields represents a significant departure.

Such a change also opens the door for more divisive sayings/statements.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Ok. If you don’t like it, don’t follow

Oct 4, 2020, 12:46 PM

I would change dentists if they had something more divisive. Feel free to change.

When did peace, love and unity become political? I don’t know why that makes you upset,or think ‘others’ will write something more divisive.

In over 100 years of college football, I’m not aware of

Oct 4, 2020, 1:01 PM

messages ever being allowed on uniforms. It’s a big deal, regardless of what is being said.

And yes, it is absolutely political, in response to the current racial issues in the news and the Black Lives Matter movement. Please don’t try to portray them as simply apolitical positive words.

I’m not offended by it, I just don’t think it has a place in sports.

Re: Ok. If you don’t like it, don’t follow

Oct 4, 2020, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Ok. If you don’t like it, don’t follow ]

Would the players have done this six years ago? I have absolutely zero issue with it, but to claim it’s not being driven by the current political climate is simply naive. Or denial.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ok. If you don’t like it, don’t follow

Oct 5, 2020, 2:45 PM

Maybe "Pro Life" on the uniforms. After all that's not a political issue. It's a human rights issue.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At some point, “uniforms” cease to be *uniform* and become

Oct 4, 2020, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Conventional wisdom holds that politics, religion, and other personal sayings ]

... costumes.

The word UNIFORM has a dictionary definition.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder when that point will be...

Oct 4, 2020, 1:17 PM

I know some schools put names on back of the jerseys and others don't. Some have changed over the years. Some coaches have chosen to remove names to push the team concept away from the focus on the individual.

I would suggest the "uniform" might become a "costume" when the players start showing up in different jerseys and pants using different combinations of colors.

The fact of the matter, there is someone on the team (I would guess Dabo) who decides what constitutes a uniform. The same with every organization that uses uniforms.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Conventional wisdom holds that politics, religion, and other personal sayings

Oct 4, 2020, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Conventional wisdom holds that politics, religion, and other personal sayings ]

Judge K, just wait til you see the basketball uni’s. The masses will be sure to pin that on Coach Brownell. :)

Since when are Unity and Love political?

Oct 5, 2020, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Conventional wisdom holds that politics, religion, and other personal sayings ]

Is being Christlike politicization, now? Jesus sure was all about that love and unity...

Our players aren't in a workplace...

Oct 5, 2020, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Conventional wisdom holds that politics, religion, and other personal sayings ]

They're amateur football players at a public university.

And what's exactly political about "Peace," "Love," "Unity," "Equality," and "Justice"? Which side against those things?

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Have you noticed that virtually every one of the ads I have

Oct 4, 2020, 12:44 PM

seen about registering to vote, voting, etc, all have BLUE print in the ads, and on the literature.

Just a HUGE coincidence that the Democratic party is the "Blue" party, and Republicans are "Red", in advertising and on campaign literature. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Blue lives matter is really a support group for Dems***

Oct 4, 2020, 12:47 PM

These days, If you look at how big corporations operate,

Oct 4, 2020, 12:50 PM

it's usually a few loud folks who "influence" the operating policies when it comes to these social justice messages...Then everyone is kind of forced to follow even if it's proclaimed as "voluntary".

I am afraid the same thing is happening with our tigers as well. Folks like Darien Rencher are the loud SJW ones and if you don't do what do they do, then it's not a good look. Heck! even Dabo is forced to walk a tight rope! Going forward, I just hope that we are more careful in avoiding these "influencers" when it comes offering opportunities to walk-on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL is one of the loudest ones too

Oct 4, 2020, 12:59 PM

Why didn’t you highlight him?

Trevor had Lawrence on his jersey last night.

Oct 4, 2020, 1:06 PM

Does that mean he doesn’t support his teammates, or the ideas of unity and equality?

After all, he has “white privilege” and can’t possibly understand how awful it is to be black in America.

Do you always talk like this?

Oct 4, 2020, 1:18 PM

Each player was given a chance to change what’s on back of their uniform. Whether they did or didn’t has no impact on if they support their teammates or message.

Stop making assumptions about everything, reading messages into everything, and just enjoy football.

You should talk to TL about his intentions. His actions have been pretty clear.

here is the difference that many are missing...

Oct 4, 2020, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Trevor had Lawrence on his jersey last night. ]

they all had the choice.

And Trevor, unlike all of us squawking on this message board, has earned the respect of his teammates by trying to empathize and understand and by doing so can choose to use his name and not be questioned.

His choice to use his name speaks volumes to the unity of the team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you have a problem with the players at service academies

Oct 4, 2020, 12:54 PM

Wearing “Honor,Duty, Discipline,” and the like on their jerseys in the last few years?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"To hell with the best team winning, I want us to win!"- Frank Howard

I don’t think that has a place on uniforms either.***

Oct 4, 2020, 1:04 PM

Be honest. Did you post your dissatisfaction then?

Oct 4, 2020, 1:42 PM

Why not? Why now?

Because it’s expedient for the bitchfest he’s started***

Oct 4, 2020, 2:00 PM

Exactly. These are people who don’t believe in the underlying message

Oct 4, 2020, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Did you have a problem with the players at service academies ]

Hiding behind some technical (and intellectually dishonest in most cases) objections.

Re: Exactly. These are people who don’t believe in the underlying message

Oct 5, 2020, 1:28 PM

And who wouldn't believe in a message of Love and Unity? You know, your basic Christ-like qualities.

These people need to do some soul-searching on why they do not believe in these Christ-like qualities.

I don’t really have a problem with the Clemson messages

Oct 5, 2020, 1:37 PM

When they start showing up on orange overalls,

Oct 4, 2020, 12:56 PM

will it make them more or less fashionable?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange overalls are offensive to people with carotenosis.***

Oct 4, 2020, 1:09 PM

I used black magic marker on the back of mine to offset this

Oct 4, 2020, 1:21 PM

Works like Hydroxychloroquine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is America...

Oct 4, 2020, 12:57 PM

as long as each of these hyperbolic examples you give have a choice (as our players did), there should be no problem.

Now if they make YOU wear it coming to the stadium, dentist, etc. then you might have a legitimate gripe.

You can also choose whether or not to go to games, that dentist, or use that particular HVAC company should they choose to wear messages that bother you.

Also, seems very strange complaint given your constant gonging the cymbal of always supporting players and coaches.

I didn’t say that I don’t support our players.

Oct 4, 2020, 1:16 PM

I absolutely do.

But at some point, being part of a team means putting self aside for the good of the team. And in the case of college athletics, it’s also about representing the school and fans who provide you the opportunity to have an athletic scholarship.

When it comes to uniforms, the historical precedent is that there is no room for personal expression, aside from your name and number.

How would you feel if we started allowing players to wear a different color uniform? If someone doesn’t want to wear orange, how about a red jersey? Or perhaps instead of an orange helmet, how about yellow?

This isn’t to say that players shouldn’t have room for personal expression. They can wear whatever they want the rest of the time. They can get any tattoo or piercing they wish. They can speak their mind in public, including on social media.

But on the field, I feel that they should be about team and university.

don't you think your suggestion is a little bit of a stretch

Oct 4, 2020, 1:25 PM

I imagine I will be long dead before they start using different color uinforms.

Every indication is that the decision to do this is in no way an expression of self. I imagine some team leaders talked to Dabo about and Dabo orchestrated it the correct way. Expressions like this can actually unify the team. If it was a distraction, Dabo would.t allow it. Dabo has certainly earned the right for fans to give him the benefit of the doubt on leadership.

You make it sound like the players just showed up with these names sewn on the back of their jerseys and Dabo went, "oh okay."

You ever stop and think that the players are UNITING behind this messaging?

Oct 5, 2020, 1:32 PM [ in reply to I didn’t say that I don’t support our players. ]

Did you bother to talk with ANY player on the team before assuming this is individualistic expression?

If you did, they would tell you that this is a TEAM decision.

How many football teams replace their names with SJW

Oct 4, 2020, 1:42 PM [ in reply to this is America... ]

political statements. I really don't know, Clemson is the only team that I know that has done it. Wake had a little fist on their helmet, but Clemson is easily the most 'woke' team in football right now.

honestly who cares...

Oct 4, 2020, 1:47 PM

I am much more interested in having a relationship with young people than trying to make sure they know how ignorant and inexperienced they are.

I encourage young people to speak their mind. I want to hear what they have to say. Just listening and valuing their opinion (even if you think they are stupid) goes a long way in creating opportunities for conversation.

If you are always angry and upset, I guarantee you that they will shut you out and dismiss you.

Explain how their statements are political?

Oct 5, 2020, 3:03 PM [ in reply to How many football teams replace their names with SJW ]

Also, maybe just quit complaining and enjoy another natty run.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Re: So are political messages and belief systems going to be something

Oct 4, 2020, 12:59 PM

Yea, we've gone from some coaches not even allowing names on jerseys because it takes away from the team and it's goals to this crap that we're doing. I noticed UVA's players just had their names on theirs. I hope next week we have words like "Block", "Catch" "Tackle", etc. on ours.

Ona side note, my employees wear shirts with our company's logo on them. (when on the clock) If one started wearing a shirt with a personal message on it instead I would just make them take it off or fire them. When not representing our company they can wear whatever they want to.

The football players always had different names on back of jersey

Oct 4, 2020, 1:11 PM

And yet it was still considered uniform. This week was no different with different names on back.

Re: The football players always had different names on back of jersey

Oct 4, 2020, 5:37 PM

You are making silly arguments. I know you are probably playing devil's advocate, but it is tiring.

I ask how many players really did not want to change their name but felt pressured to do it? I am guessing a LOT more than the reverse. Why is it right for those players to be pressured into making a political statement?

It's a bunch of BS.

If people, players, kids, adults, etc. had/have EQUAL exposure to information and facts, I'd be super ok with all of it.

My yuge problem is the MSM and social media is so full of BS and it has SIGNIFICANT influence on what people think and do. The fact that the country is nearly evenly divided conservative/liberal tells you if the MSM and social media propaganda were not present, the country would be 70/30 conservative, and that is generous on the side of the libs.

You say "let the kids decide for themselves" but they are not deciding for themselves. They are unwitting victims of liberal university and liberal MSM group think.

Clemson is a liberal university?

Oct 4, 2020, 7:05 PM

When you were 18yo, how much MSM did you watch?

I don’t see any complaints from any players about names on the jersey. Just a bunch of whiny flakes on here. Plenty of players keot their name on the jersey.

So you don’t know there were any complaints, guess there’s a lot, then continue in your rant about nothing. I can’t even call your argument silly but really nonsensical and all projected.

Younger folk tend to lean liberal. Older folks skew conservative. Your 70/30 view might work with old folk in rural parts of the country.

Clemson is a liberal university?

Oct 5, 2020, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: The football players always had different names on back of jersey ]

LOLOLOLOLOL

Bruh, did you attend Clemson?

Would be a waste of a message since your dentist isn’t on tv***

Oct 4, 2020, 1:10 PM

The sophomoric assumption of these players ...

Oct 4, 2020, 1:17 PM

and the BLM movement is that they are on a mission of public assistance and goodness. A facet of their political understanding is that the Republican Party is misrepresenting and hurting black citizens. Because Democrats are good and Republicans are bad. Never mind the vast majority of cities that are hassling and hurting black citizens have Democrat mayors, city councils, and congressmen & women.

So the uniform slogans are truly symbolic; the uniforms should just read VOTE DEMOCRAT. That is the real message. A message that promotes continuity of the status quo. Politics and college football make odd bed fellows and in the intermediate & long term will hurt Clemson and college football.

Odd you consider peace, love and unity an attack on Republican Party***

Oct 4, 2020, 1:23 PM

Re: Odd you consider peace, love and unity an attack on Republican Party***

Oct 4, 2020, 5:38 PM

Yes, those and the rest of it combined are an attack on conservatives. You know it and I know it.

Re: Odd you consider peace, love and unity an attack on Republican Party***

Oct 4, 2020, 7:16 PM

You must feel attacked all the time. So if peace love and unity are an attack of Republicans, what are the opposite supporting words?

Dabo said prior football seasons were all about love. Did you protest then too?

Look at this guy attacking the Republican Party

as a conservative Republican who thinks...

Oct 4, 2020, 1:32 PM [ in reply to The sophomoric assumption of these players ... ]

BLM is not a good organization, I think the only thing that says "Democrats are good and Republicans are bad" is a bunch of middle-aged white guys constantly complaining about social justice.

Well said. So true.***

Oct 4, 2020, 5:20 PM

You know, I missed the jerseys...

Oct 5, 2020, 2:48 PM [ in reply to The sophomoric assumption of these players ... ]

That displayed pro-Democrat or anti-Republican sentiment. Can you tell me who wore one and what it said?

And if you're saying putting messages that say, "Love," "Peace," "Unity," "Equality," and "Justice" are anti-Republican messages, then maybe it's time for the Republican Party to explore rebranding options.

Surprised coming from you. You seem pretty level headed

Oct 4, 2020, 1:38 PM

Patient and reasonable.

Just because you don’t get it, doesn’t make it fake or disingenuous.

Why not trust that people like Dabo Sweeney Trevor Lawrence and Etienne may have their finger on the pulse of something that may not be on your radar.

Re: Surprised coming from you. You seem pretty level headed

Oct 4, 2020, 5:40 PM

Do the libs here support erasing CLEMSON TIGERS from the stadium and replacing it with BLACK LIVES MATTER?

If no, then why not? You must be racist.

So your only response is ridiculous hyperbole and nonsense?

Oct 5, 2020, 10:49 AM

Figures.

Ebbs and flows. It's a pendulum.

Oct 4, 2020, 6:17 PM

Don't sweat it.

Besides, athletes have been wearing messages on their clothes/outfits/uniforms for many years now. NASCAR, most Olympic sports, all the apparel makers, ROZELLE.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's your opinion on Blue Lives Matter

Oct 5, 2020, 1:30 PM

in sports?

I like your funny words magic man

Re: So are political messages and belief systems going to be something

Oct 5, 2020, 1:35 PM

That would be cool if they all did.

Love? Good.

Unity? Good

Vote? Sure

What if you, and everyone else like you, did this?

Oct 5, 2020, 2:52 PM

What if you simply ignored what's on their jerseys and just enjoyed the football game, and chalk it up to players choosing to voice their opinions just like you voice yours? And just cheer on the Tigers and support them and wish them success?

What if all those people you mention, like the dentist and the HVAC guy, also choose to express their opinions on their uniforms, and you either just let it be, or you choose to do business with someone else?

I mean, I'm sure you express your opinions publicly in some way, shape, or form, and others leave you to your opinions. Right?

I dunno. Give it a try.

Re: What if you, and everyone else like you, did this?

Oct 5, 2020, 4:18 PM

That is a load of BS. If you voice an opinion and it does not go along with the left wing's view then you will most likely loose you job.

Give me a good example of one of those opinions

Oct 5, 2020, 4:56 PM

That you would “loose” your job over. So we are being specific with our accusations.

Waiting.

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic