Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who remember’s the crest of the field ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Who remember’s the crest of the field ?

Dec 23, 2017, 5:45 PM

https://youtu.be/muS_N42dSmM

For your time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who remember’s the crest of the field ?

Dec 23, 2017, 6:00 PM

good stuff. but, technically. the field had a "crown", not a crest

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2017, 6:56 PM

I stand corrected!
GO Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, I definitely remember the crown.

Dec 23, 2017, 10:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Who remember’s the crest of the field ? ]

From field level you couldn't see the feet of the opposing team.

Helped our option game, running "downhill" I reckon. Used to mess with throws in the flats too. Had to account for throwing "downhill". Kinda weird, wasn't it?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It helped the field drain......***

Dec 23, 2017, 11:36 PM

you couldn't see their HEADS

Dec 24, 2017, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Oh yeah, I definitely remember the crown. ]

true..happy jack mccormack took his surveying classes to death valley for field work and, with the transit shooting horizontally at eye-level, you could not see across the field.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Dec 23, 2017, 6:16 PM

A couple of thoughts on that video...

The clip of Ronald Williams just underscores how much ETN reminds me of him. Long strides.

David Dunham was a beast on special teams. The hitman.

Justin Miller had so much talent. Why did the coaches never teach him how to tackle? He always went for the big hit, never wrapped up.

Dec 23, 2017, 6:58 PM

True, but he could catch.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Who remember’s the

Dec 23, 2017, 8:49 PM

Genius coach who took the crown away?

Re: Who remember’s the

Dec 23, 2017, 9:03 PM

The crown was removed in 2001 by none other than (drum roll) drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Tommy Bowden!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That crown was so high visiting QBs would

Dec 23, 2017, 7:04 PM

throw way over heads of their receivers on out patterns. It was worth several incompletions every home game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

My first season tickets were on the 3rd row of Section L

Dec 23, 2017, 7:39 PM

You literally could not see whoever was standing on the other sideline. If a receiver ran a sideline pattern to the opposite side of the field, you couldn't see anything but his helmet by the time the ball reached him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My first season tickets were on the 3rd row of Section L

Dec 23, 2017, 8:04 PM

Running the option, Coach Ford liked the downhill run to the sideline so running back could build up a head of steam. Nice visit to some old school tactics.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My first season tickets were on the 3rd row of Section L

Dec 24, 2017, 1:50 AM [ in reply to My first season tickets were on the 3rd row of Section L ]

I remember sitting at the top of the deck and barely could see the opposing top deck the crown was so high. Players would score on the other side and the only way you would know is by hearing the muffled roar of the crowd on the other side.

Cool story Tall_Tale_Tiger

Dec 24, 2017, 10:13 AM

I believe you

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

It's only unbelievable if you don't believe it.***

Dec 24, 2017, 7:59 PM

I thought Willie Underwood was Donnell Woolford

Dec 23, 2017, 7:42 PM

both great

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2017, 8:05 PM

I thought it was because we ran the ball so much under Danny Ford that we literally did the football downhill.

Yep. Should've called it Danny's Crown.***

Dec 23, 2017, 11:00 PM

Dec 23, 2017, 8:19 PM

Definitely remember the crown... but them there is a lot of good memories. Darn good memories. True we’re living in the best of times now but it’s something extra about the times when you took all your lawn furniture and set it up on the hill and tailgating on the Hill an hour before the game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Hill and that gate always opening

Dec 23, 2017, 8:31 PM

when the mob would press forward.

I miss the days

Like climbing Everest going from the sideline to midfield***

Dec 23, 2017, 8:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My very first pregame in TigerBand

Dec 23, 2017, 11:12 PM

Standing on the sideline I thought something was seriously wrong. The crown couldn’t possibly be that high, could it?

I know it’s probably an exaggeration but I felt like I couldn’t see the lower half of anybody on the other side of the field.

It was removed in 2003 I think. Same time as the brick on the walls, which was a good move. Yes, the painted orange concrete was a classic college stadium look. But one has to admit that the brick just makes the place look nicer.

Hyatt's uncle in that clip.....***

Dec 23, 2017, 11:38 PM

Nelon Green takes the snap, rolls right, incomplete well over the head of his intended receiver

Dec 23, 2017, 11:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Dec 24, 2017, 12:15 AM

They started removing the crowns from fields when they started building the fields like a golf green. They use perforated corrugated drainage pipes underneath the surface (about 12") and use a mixture of sand, peatmoss, and maybe a little topsoil, so that water runs vertically through the soil structure. I'm not positive, but they still may put about a 1% crown in the field as it still needs some surface drainage. The width of a field is 160' wide which means that from the center to the sideline the field would drop 8/10 of a foot or 9.6". The old field probably dropped about 3% which would compute to about 29".

Tommy had it removed b/c he was running the spread

Dec 24, 2017, 4:11 AM

offense and the crown took away from our speedy WRs trying to run routes. We were historically an option team so that crown was really beneficial to us with those teams. Not so much with the new offense so it was removed.

While the draining stuff is true with the fields, the sole reason Clemson got rid of the crown was that the coach wanted it.

Dec 24, 2017, 2:26 AM

I made this video when I was in the 8th or 9th grade. Love seeing it pop up like this!!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cool, you made that video?

Dec 24, 2017, 4:19 AM

Nice job man.

I remember one time they placed a ball in the middle of the

Dec 24, 2017, 6:49 AM

field, at about the 50 yard line, when Clemson was playing Georgia. The ball rolled all the way off the field, and Vince Dooley picked it up and threw it back to the ref's!!!

Nice memories, but...........

Dec 24, 2017, 7:42 AM

.................Thank goodness video quality is much better now than then.

Underwood and Spiller. Some of the best plays ever.

Dec 24, 2017, 8:03 AM

That said, lawd we had some ugly uniforms in the late 90s/early 00s.

Thank goodness Dabo has us in a consistent, classic uni look with BIG paws on the helmets and paws on the shoulders where they belong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2017, 3:59 PM

The crown served its purpose well when there was a pre-game rain. We were playing NC State in the late 1950's or early 60's and it poured down all morning. When the game began at 1:00 PM, the field was in relatively good playing condition. The drainage system was very good.

"Happy Jack" McCormac is still here and continues to write text books nd mysteries. There is no K at the end of MCCormac.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The crown. Just old enough.

Dec 24, 2017, 8:03 PM

For a little while I missed those ugly old concrete painted orange walls with the numbers on them, too. Death Valley is looking amazing these days, though, so it'd look out of place.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic