Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We have ridden this horse to exhaustion .. but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

We have ridden this horse to exhaustion .. but

Jul 8, 2015, 12:06 PM

a great editorial in todays paper by Walter Williams, a black national columnist who looks at things differently than many others. Find the column and read it if you want to see the real truth about black poverty.

Basically he says that the breakdown of families where only a third of the children are raised in two parent homes, 72% of the children are illegitimate, more than 50% of murder victims are black, 7000 blacks are murdered annually with 95% being killed by another black, and fraudulent education are the real problems for the blacks that need to be addressed. He suggests that removing the flag ain't the solution. This guy is right on. Glad someone gets it.

Read the entire article.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link?***

Jul 8, 2015, 12:08 PM

http://humanevents.com/2015/07/08/a-minority-view-3/***

Jul 8, 2015, 12:11 PM

Re: http://humanevents.com/2015/07/08/a-minority-view-3/***

Jul 8, 2015, 12:13 PM

google walter Williams and click on 'fiddling away the future'

People who want to fly/display the confederate flag....

Jul 8, 2015, 12:13 PM

are free to do so at their homes or on their vehicles, but at the end of the day, the ONLY flags that should be flown or displayed on the Statehouse grounds are the SC State Flag and the Flag of the United States of America. Just my .02 cents.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

The flag is flown currently at a war memorial though

Jul 8, 2015, 12:15 PM

if that's not a perfect spot for it to fly, I don't know where one would be

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Re: People who want to fly/display the confederate flag....

Jul 8, 2015, 12:15 PM [ in reply to People who want to fly/display the confederate flag.... ]

Mr Williams says that slaves were brought to the US on ships flying the stars and bars ... not the rebel flag!

Agreed. I think what FORREST and Mr. Williams are trying to

Jul 8, 2015, 12:19 PM [ in reply to People who want to fly/display the confederate flag.... ]

express is that that the more deep seeded issues need to be addresses. Okay, the flag should be taken down. How is that going to put a dent in the statistics he listed?

Sorry, FOREST.***

Jul 8, 2015, 12:20 PM

Of course removing the flag isn't the solution to either

Jul 8, 2015, 12:20 PM

racism or the cycle of poverty - but it is a divisive symbol that creates a lack of faith in the state's legislature on these issues as they affect the people of our state, and it shouldn't be flying at our seat of government. My hope and belief is that this action will help steer future debate toward more substantive issues rather than symbolic ones - long overdue.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. Get through this to the more substantive issues.***

Jul 8, 2015, 12:23 PM

Re: Of course removing the flag isn't the solution to either

Jul 8, 2015, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Of course removing the flag isn't the solution to either ]

We all agree with what you say but removing the flag is not even the first step towards reducing the black issues in this country. This flag has nothing to do with all the murders and violent crime that I read about DAILY in the newspaper. It is nothing but a diversion for some to avoid the real problems that face most of these families. Perhaps the activist who drove from Charlotte to climb the flagpole could use her energy to address the real problems that Williams points out in his column. I am not against the flag being removed. It will affect my life in no way if it is moved to a museum. Unfortunately it will not affect these people who protest its presence on the Capitol grounds.

Re: Of course removing the flag isn't the solution to either

Jul 8, 2015, 1:13 PM

Agreed. And it will thus no longer serve as any kind of excuse in this area. One would hope that the passion exhibited for many as regards the flag could be turned to matters of actual consequence such as job training, early education, and neighborhood safety. We shall see.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meant to post a line from your post above...

Jul 8, 2015, 1:15 PM

"It is nothing but a diversion for some to avoid the real problems that face most of these families"

Apparently I special-computerized it out by using the wrong symbols.

Go Tigers!

So we shouldn't do anything if it doesn't

Jul 8, 2015, 12:25 PM

address "black poverty"?

Should we get rid of DUI laws? They don't really address black poverty.

duis are expensive and if they can not afford an attorney

Jul 8, 2015, 12:26 PM

one will be appointed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, he's dead right about that. The problems that

Jul 8, 2015, 12:37 PM

plague the black community today, while rooted in a legacy of racism, are behavioral, and largely solvable from within the community itself. African-Americans could do more themselves, right now, today, to turn that ship around without a single white person having to lift a finger, than gazillion dollars worth of government programs or legislation will do over the next century.

I am all for the flag coming down, but the flag is not the cause of the problem.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Well, he's dead right about that. The problems that

Jul 8, 2015, 12:46 PM

You are exactly right Smiley! The black families beg for a new leader to help unite them and resolve their issues. No one else can do it. It must come from within and another agitator is NOT the answer.

Re: Well, he's dead right about that. The problems that

Jul 8, 2015, 12:52 PM

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article26684419.html

"The bottom line is that even if white people were to become

Jul 8, 2015, 1:00 PM

angels tomorrow, it would do nothing for the problems plaguing the black community. Illegitimacy, family breakdown, crime and fraudulent education are devastating problems, but they are not civil rights problems. There is little or nothing that government or white people can do to solve these problems. The solution lies with black people."

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article26684419.html#storylink=cpy

BINGO!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

HE DOES NOT SPEAK FOR ALL BLACK PEOPLE!!!

Jul 8, 2015, 1:16 PM

WHAT DOES JOHN SHAFT HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS?!?!?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SHUT YOUR MOUTH!***

Jul 8, 2015, 1:21 PM

null

CAN YA DIG IT?***

Jul 8, 2015, 1:33 PM [ in reply to HE DOES NOT SPEAK FOR ALL BLACK PEOPLE!!! ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We have ridden this horse to exhaustion .. but

Jul 8, 2015, 1:37 PM

The truth is that the black community was doing just fine (well, as fine as you could do in most places) until the CIA systematically introduced crack cocaine into its communities and proceeded to work with other federal agencies to push drug control legislation that disproportionately targets lower-income households.

This isn't tin foil hat talk. This actually happened, yet no one seems to remember. Or everyone seems to befuddled why so many black fathers are in prison and why the family structure is so compromised. It didn't happen that way on accident, and it didn't happen that way overnight.

I guess the TV show COPS has kind of desensitized us to watching people's lives get ruined based on relatively minor infringements on these overly prohibitionist policies. After all, any black man slapped with a simple possession charge is a bad father and a bad person who should be punished, right? That's what we learned growing up...I'm sure many still buy in.

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

IF YA DO THE CRIME DO THE TIME!!!

Jul 8, 2015, 1:43 PM

And if ya ain't doin' nothin wrong, ya ain't got nothing to worry about!!

It amazes me, as well, how quickly some people take the road of self righteousness, and totally ignore the ripple effect some of these laws have on family and friends. Of course, most of the time they're the people who squeal the loudest when caught up in the very scenarios they demonize.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The logic was about the same...

Jul 8, 2015, 1:50 PM

as a crackhead but I'm not sure crack contributed to the rupture in reason.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IF YA DO THE CRIME DO THE TIME!!!

Jul 8, 2015, 1:58 PM [ in reply to IF YA DO THE CRIME DO THE TIME!!! ]

YOU'RE NOT THINKING OF THE CHILDREN, THOUGH. I GIVE YOU POINTS FOR YOUR LOGIC GAME BUT YOUR EMOTIONAL MANIPULATION GAME NEEDS SOME WERK

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

I want to apologize to everyone.

Jul 8, 2015, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Re: We have ridden this horse to exhaustion .. but ]

I gave the post a point before he clarified that it wasn't a tinfoil hat type view but actually an attempt at honesty.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic