Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Turkey Brine
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 628

Turkey Brine

Nov 23, 2020, 11:14 AM

I got a breast in anticipation of us doing a family of four thanksgiving due to Rona

Well, we are actually doing

Who’s got the real talk on brining?
I’ve been seeing a premade brine at Publix

I’ve done the salt and sugar water thing before
Is it even worth it?

I plan on roasting on BGE listening to tunes on the Bose while drinking snooty IPA’s out of my backup Yeti here in Mt Privilege of that helps at all

Anyone ever used a store bought gravy? Mrs Fluff admits her from scratch gravy is no good

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course doing the brine is worth it.

Nov 23, 2020, 11:17 AM

for Gravy pick one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGkt9HRSvm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-WaEFj9HFQ

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Of course doing the brine is worth it.

Nov 23, 2020, 11:59 AM

We call white gravy milk gravy. Some people make it without milk, don't ask me why.

Someone posted this link earlier and I'm going to try it

Nov 23, 2020, 11:17 AM

well close anyway. I am not capable of following a recipe. I've got to change something.

https://bbqpitboys.com/blogs/recipes/apple-cider-turkey

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Turkey Brine

Nov 23, 2020, 11:18 AM

Heck ya its worth it. You should add some rosemary to your brine. I brine almost everything and it make a big different in juiciness and tenderness. I never use sugar just salt and spices depending on what you are brining.

Gravy is super easy to make.

Nov 23, 2020, 11:19 AM

You don't even need actual drippings if you just want to whip some up real quick. Make a roux (melt butter or animal fat and mix in flour), add chicken stock, and whisk. Add salt, pepper, whatever seasonings and that's it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chicken stock and salt.

Nov 23, 2020, 11:20 AM

Water is a flavor killer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2020, 11:22 AM

Salt, sugar, water, rosemary, thyme, paprika

That's it.

Nov 23, 2020, 12:07 PM

Some times I add thymes some times I don't.

Nov 23, 2020, 11:22 AM

I am not a big fan of brown gravy but wife makes hers with turkey juice, boiled eggs, turkey liver and flour. My dogs like the brown gravy packs from ALDI. We put it in their food.

dry brine - salt, rosemary, thyme.***

Nov 23, 2020, 11:39 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you sure that isn't just a complicated way of

Nov 23, 2020, 11:46 AM

saying curing?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IF you brine this is the way to do it***

Nov 23, 2020, 10:30 PM [ in reply to dry brine - salt, rosemary, thyme.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MIL going all out Qanon with 20+ people

Nov 23, 2020, 1:48 PM

Should be interesting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not a real brine if you don't use actual sea water

Nov 23, 2020, 1:50 PM

butt fore reels, most turkeys are sitting in a brine inside that plastic packaging. I will dry brine, spatchcock, smoke for about 7 hours to 165 degrees, ???????, profit.

Turkey gravy is easy to make from scratch, do not buy store packets. I di what Murcielago does, but I do add pan drippings.

And lastly, I would be cautious to take this opinion to heart, you can see what the Brine Bros did to Murc. Poor dude is not the same anymore

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2020, 1:55 PM

https://youtu.be/mDjIJ3q04_Y

Not planning to try that this Thursday but it’s definitely going on the list.

Side note: I’ve really been enjoying the Recteq Thanksgrilling series and all their videos in general.

To brine is divine.

Nov 23, 2020, 5:49 PM

I do a lot of turkey breasts throughout the year at casa de wildblu. Why pay $10/lb for deli when $10 can knock out a 6-7 pound breast?

Copious amounts of salt, peppercorns, and rosemary generally do the trick as a basic approach. If it's cool enough out I just leave it outside in the pot overnight to do its thing. Breast meat dries out faster than dark meat, so brining is really critical for this cut. I only go the brown sugar or cider route as a brine add if I'm going to smoke it, which admittedly I've only done with turkey legs, which also admittedly turned out State Fair worthy.

If you seed the bottom of your roasting pan with a little water and keep it wet through cooking, you should have enough mix of that and drippings to get a base for a very decent gravy. Whisk some flour in warm water, add in, then copious pepper, salt, and chicken broth - voila!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DO NOT BRINE YOUR TURKEY

Nov 23, 2020, 10:29 PM

cause I am not. doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CboeCnjpbE

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 628
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic