Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Odd and Ends you might have never thought about...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1,440

Odd and Ends you might have never thought about...

Oct 9, 2018, 11:45 AM

The Tigers have been on a record setting pace the last few weeks, with a new YPC avg at Wake and a game ending scoring drive vs. Cuse not seen since 1959. I was re-watching that beautiful, 94 yard, 6 min drive and wondered "what's the longest drive in college history?"

Theoretically, if a team started at its goal line and took 4 plays for every first down to get exactly 10 yards, that would be 40 plays. Running the clock down every play, and assuming about 5 sec per play, you get just over 30 minutes. So a team COULD actually have one drive last an entire half. (Not exactly Must See TV, but I can sense Danny Ford smiling somewhere.)

The actual record is held by Navy, with a grinding 26 play, 14:26 min drive against New Mexico in the 2004 Emerald Bowl, chewing up the entire 4th quarter for a meaningless FG in a 34-19 win. And the coach of that team? None other than Pawwwwwwl Johnson, of GaTech fame, tucking this irrelevant tidbit nicely in front of our record setting Cuse and Wake games. No data was available on how many DLinemen were injured by rolly-polly OLinemen belly flopping on that drive, but I imagine Paul was handing out crutches and smirks aplenty after the game. Go Tigers, and on to NCState!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Odd and Ends you might have never thought about...

Oct 9, 2018, 12:15 PM

You only have to play defense when the other team has the ball, so what a great way to keep the other team scoreless for a entire quarter. Like you say, not a lot of fun to watch, but it is a strategy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we had a 17 play 99 yard drive in the

Oct 9, 2018, 2:20 PM

Puntrooskie game, but it didn't take that much time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You don't get control of the game when you're air-balling layups." - Brent Venables

Replies: 2
| visibility 1,440
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic