Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ocassionally, I pass along a story or two pertaining to my
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Ocassionally, I pass along a story or two pertaining to my

Apr 15, 2017, 11:08 PM

adventures at Clemson. Yesterday,I got a good one from a client.He is a retired truck driver. And,he said, back in the early 90's he had a delivery to make to the Post Office in the bottom of the tin cans. He stopped, dropped off his load, was easing down the hill when he saw to fellas carrying a large piece of furniture up the hill. He rolled down the window and told them to put it on the lift on the back of his truck and he would be happy to back it up the hill for them. They were very appreciative and did just that. He had only backed up a few feet when he heard a terrible racket. He slammed on the brakes, hoping he had not backed over them or into something worse, hopped out of the truck and ran to the back......forgetting to put on the air brakes!!! Well sir, he and the two guys stood there dumbfounded as his truck began to roll down hill ...Straight towards Death Valley, gaining speed all the while...He said the only thing that kept his truck from possibly knocking Howards's Rock off its pedestal was a BIG RED FIRE HYDRANT....Yessir, knocked that thing clean off its perch and water was shooting sky high...Dang near lost his job, all for trying to be neighborly. Just wondering if one of you younger tnetters oh here were a party to the crime..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Being a salesman of said fire hydrants

Apr 16, 2017, 4:18 AM

I gotta call shenanigans. The water spewing skyward only happens when wet barrel hydrants are hit and those are only on the west coast. Any hydrants east of Arizona are dry barrel and won't flood when damaged unless the hydrant was already turned on at the time of impact.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Being a salesman of said fire hydrants

Apr 16, 2017, 5:23 AM

As an observer and not an expert , is it possible that since this hydrant episode took place in the early 90's that the wet barrel/dry barrel thing wasn't as common or perhaps as far reaching then as you say it is today ?

Asking for a friend who likes hydrants but doesn't understand the technical aspects of their hidden plumbings .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 16, 2017, 6:58 AM

I heard there were a couple of west coast hydrants that were shipped with Howard's Rock...so, perhaps....? ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2017, 7:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Being a salesman of said fire hydrants ]

Nope. My roommate ran one over one night and water most definitely did not come shooting out. He destroyed the right of our other roommate's truck but everybody stayed dry.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2017, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Being a salesman of said fire hydrants ]

I didn't think about it when I read it, but of course, you are correct. Still a cool story and I wouldn't tell it any different going forward. What's are the chances of another hydrant salesman being in the audience?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2017, 11:40 AM

So many, many people have slept in a Holiday Inn Express! So very many! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2017, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Being a salesman of said fire hydrants ]

We replaced a hydrant back last summer at work. Normally we don't mess with a lot of water stuff but what we took out and what we replaced it with wouldn't have spewed like that unless it was already opened and letting water out like you said. Cause prior to this I often wondered if that would happen. The shaft that goes down through it will break off and keep it closed if it was hit. That's what I was told at least. I remember it quite well cause we had locates come out and they didn't mark anything but when we started digging we found another water line and several phone lines and other cables. It was a pain.

to replace a firehydrant there is another gate valve

Apr 16, 2017, 11:43 AM

about 5 feet from the hydrant. That is different that the valve at they hydrant that turns the water on and off. The gate valve that is 5 ft away is always open unless you close it to replace they hydrant

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: to replace a firehydrant there is another gate valve

Apr 16, 2017, 1:53 PM

Right. Trust me, we turned it off first. Or we would have went swimming.

So - what was the terrible racket ? And what would have been

Apr 16, 2017, 9:12 AM

worse than running over the 2 students? I want the whole story.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know and these ###### head experts have ruined my

Apr 16, 2017, 12:28 PM

story.

peckerhead***

Apr 16, 2017, 12:28 PM

LOL! You can type peckerhead, but not ###### head!***

Apr 16, 2017, 12:29 PM

Replies: 13