Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Speaking of new Jack Ryan show
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 283

Speaking of new Jack Ryan show

Sep 3, 2018, 1:38 PM

Liberals lol

Its other primary story objective is proving that Jack Ryan deserves his white male entitlement—which indicates just how closely American myths of masculinity are intertwined with international dominance. From frame to frame, Jack Ryan is an astonishing case study in toxic narratives. I watched it twice, slack-jawed in amazement; I do not know if this is an endorsement or not.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/08/jack-ryan-amazon-tv-show-review-tom-clancy-john-krasinski

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this kinda crap makes me want to puke...

Sep 3, 2018, 2:02 PM

And here I was thinking the show was too PC because they make the baddies sympathetic poor Lebanese kids who were bombed in their home in '83.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t i would ever admit to being ‘slack-jawed’.

Sep 3, 2018, 2:55 PM

??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't agree that stuff is "toxic" but...

Sep 3, 2018, 3:48 PM

I agree with this (even though it hasn't hurt my liking the show yet)--"Jack’s perfection makes for an inert protagonist; he is presented as a flawless hero from the moment we first see him"

I've watched three episodes so far, so maybe more will be developed in his character but the show does have him being too perfect too soon. He shoots from analyst to in the field jack bauer type way too soon (even if the season is only 8 episodes) and despite his repeated mention how he's just an analyst, the show should have spent more time setting up his lowly beginnings more, in my opinion. There's a french female cop who even tells Jack that he's really a wolf in sheep's clothing, even though there's nothing that happens that she's seen to inform that opinion. It's just there to establish Jack's credentials but I can see how some might laugh at lines like it and the context it's brought up in.

Jack does feel like he's from a different era (1980s) and I think the writer is picking up on that and sees that as a toxic viewpoint from a toxic time period. That's their opinion though. I agree it feels like a show that hasn't been updated enough, but it's still watchable and entertaining enough. And Kraskinski is charismatic enough to make this version of Jack Ryan banality bearable.

At least after only three episodes...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

White American Men - the scourge of mankind.

Sep 3, 2018, 4:59 PM

It is unfortunate that someone has had the kind of miserable existence required to foster this warped view and blind hatred, but it's really disturbing that they are given such a platform from which to spew this tripe.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Obviously the author

Sep 3, 2018, 5:09 PM

Has never read a Tom Clancy novel.

Her commentary is laughable.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 283
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic