Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Starting Over: Venables says defense is on a "different planet" than a year ago
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

TNET: Starting Over: Venables says defense is on a "different planet" than a year ago

Mar 6, 2019, 7:02 PM

Starting Over: Venables says defense is on a "different planet" than a year ago

Brent Venables’ Clemson defense finished last season fifth in total defense and first in scoring defense. Now, it’s all about starting over. Gone are stalwarts like Christian Wilkins and Clelin Ferrell. In their place? Youth and inexperience. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Starting Over: Venables says defense is on a "different planet" than a year ago

Mar 6, 2019, 7:22 PM

;)

Re: TNET: Starting Over: Venables says defense is on a "different planet" than a year ago

Mar 6, 2019, 7:42 PM

I'm guessing Belk is excited to know he not only would have a championship ring, but would also likely be a starter this year on a championship-contending football team.

Obviously he didn't want to work at it

Mar 6, 2019, 7:45 PM

he can now concentrate on taking care of his sick mom

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2019, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Starting Over: Venables says defense is on a "different planet" than a year ago ]

Belk would not have been a starter.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 7, 2019, 10:13 AM

Belk had already placed himself in the depth chart last year during spring practice. I think he was listed at 2nd or 3rd string DL. ahead of some of the more experienced players. His issue was he couldn't get along with some. I'm thinking he had a hard time being coached by other players like CW42 and Big Dex. With a year under his belt he would have been at least in the talking to be a starter and with the injuries of the other DT's he would have been a starter during spring with a chance to prove himself.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

remind me why Pickney wasn't out there?***

Mar 6, 2019, 8:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: remind me why Pickney wasn't out there?***

Mar 6, 2019, 8:13 PM

Pinckney and Williams our two seasoned DTs are both out for the Spring with injuries and both have had surgery. Blessing in disguise though because it gives our youth more reps in practice and more coaching to learn the system. Those two already know the system and have proven themselves to be trusted in game day situations.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Mar 6, 2019, 8:14 PM [ in reply to remind me why Pickney wasn't out there?*** ]

https://www.tigernet.com/update/Both-Clemson-starting-DTs-out-of-spring-practice-with-injuries-32327

Mar 6, 2019, 8:40 PM

I hope Dabo is telling the doctors to check their drugs for Ostarine...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2019, 8:15 PM [ in reply to remind me why Pickney wasn't out there?*** ]

surgery for muscle tear I think.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2019, 8:33 PM

Weird Xavier Thomas isn’t listed as a leader

They might be on a different planet...

Mar 6, 2019, 9:20 PM

...but that planet is still gonna steam roll the little pebbles that dare to venture into Death Valley.

Mar 7, 2019, 5:23 AM

Thats the great thing about playing in the ACC. We just have to get by Texas A&M and then our D has all season to gel and get better until the playoff. We have to get by A&M though. They will be really good.

Mar 7, 2019, 7:08 AM

A&M lost their playmakers on offense...

Mar 7, 2019, 7:07 AM

All this talk about who we lost on defense from the media...all this talk about rebuilding the defense...no one does it better than Brent....I am willing to say right now that Clemson will still be a top 10 defense if not top 5....it happens teams lose players but Clemson is so rich in talent its the next man up..

Mar 7, 2019, 7:11 AM

All this talk about who we lost on defense from the media...all this talk about rebuilding the defense...no one does it better than Brent....I am willing to say right now that Clemson will still be a top 10 defense if not top 5....it happens teams lose players but Clemson is so rich in talent its the next man up..

More likely top 15-20. We will struggle early but hopefully can a) survive b) come together for the playoff run

Mar 7, 2019, 7:54 AM

I am thinking it could easily be top 5, but that might be inflated. Keep in my our D wasn't ranked #1 either (thanks to spreading playing time, rest), so "rating" do not really tell the whole story. But I think we are top 5 for one reason:

Schedule - who do we play that has an explosive offense? Our in conference slate is weak... weak like a coot's winning tradition weak.

GT, FSU, UNC, and Louisville are all rebuilding (especially offensively). Charlotte is a bottom 10 dweller. Even 'Cuse is a bit of a mystery without Dungey. We have no clue about how good NC State will be without a QB. Wofford might not be the weakest team on the slate. Then you the coots that might not even be at 5 wins by the time we see them. So what does that leave us/ BC, A&M, and Wake. wow. I just included wake as a non-rebuilder... at least compared to the other guys. I dont even know who will fail to lose the Coastal and be sacrificed to us in the ACCCG. VaTech might not have scholarship players on offense next season (aka they all transferred to UMD), Miami is unknown. Pitt- dont know. So it almost sounds like UVA and Duke are the only stable programs on that side of the conference. Yikes.

Five to seven games should pad the stats even factoring in on how much playing time the 1 & 2 guys get.

I believe that if the entire defensive roster had not...

Mar 7, 2019, 7:41 AM

lost a single player from last year this man would say the same thing. He refuses to flatter the boys to keep them humble and hardworking. It's best for everyone concerned.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic