Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Oklahoma continues to throw Venables under the bus
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Football Update: Oklahoma continues to throw Venables under the bus

Oct 17, 2012, 11:21 AM

Oklahoma continues to throw Venables under the bus

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats funny I didnt know they grew

Oct 17, 2012, 11:23 AM

Sour Grapes in oklahoma.

I think OU is happy with what they have now.

Oct 17, 2012, 11:38 AM

Don't see what they would be sour about.

OU didn't want BV to leave. They offered to double his pay

Oct 17, 2012, 12:01 PM

if he would stay at OU. They are acting like a silly girl who's bf dumped her.

Grapes of wrath***

Oct 17, 2012, 3:40 PM [ in reply to I think OU is happy with what they have now. ]

after they got their butt kicked by TAMU they should be sour***

Jan 7, 2013, 12:21 PM [ in reply to I think OU is happy with what they have now. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not throwing them under the bus if its true

Oct 17, 2012, 11:35 AM

OU defense last year was 53rd this year it's 12th. Big improvement.

unless you're spurrier and you're driving the bus***

Oct 17, 2012, 11:37 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

And it's great we are turning it around at 5-1 and moving

Oct 17, 2012, 11:38 AM [ in reply to It's not throwing them under the bus if its true ]

on. Getting better every week!

Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not because of the defense

Oct 17, 2012, 12:35 PM

We've won 5 because of offense and lost one because of defense. Don't give me Ball State and Furman as good defensive performance. Those teams shot themselves in the foot with bad situation playcalling. They put up enough yards to score 30+ points.

Giving up 30+ points to every team you play is eventually going to bite you when you have a sub par day offensively. It puts a fair amount of pressure on your offense when you know you have to get to 35 to win every game.

i believe in getting better -- hard work and all.***

Oct 17, 2012, 1:26 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe in results. Talk is cheap***

Oct 17, 2012, 1:29 PM

The only way you will know is through week by week.

Oct 17, 2012, 1:33 PM

Talk is cheap when you just say we are bad with no way to improve. Jeez.

Not saying that

Oct 17, 2012, 3:39 PM

Certainly we can improve, however your original response made it sound as if the defense was improving and had something to do with our 5-1 start. That is not the case. I've seen nothing thus far that would leads me to believe that we are capable of holding an average offense to under 30 points.

When I see that in a game, I'll feel more positive about their direction. Right now I've seen no improvement from game 1 through game 6. Still can't tackle. Still have far too much open space in the secondary. Our starting 2 DE's have zero sacks through 6 games, we fail to pressure opposing QB's with regularity, and we typically get pushed off the ball on the d-line.

Maybe we start to get better this week, but, and I ask this respectfully, what exactly have you seen that makes you think we are improving defensively?

Re: Not because of the defense

Jan 7, 2013, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Not because of the defense ]

I saw a pretty **** good performance by our defense against LSU. A team performance win of course, kudos to offense for putting up enough points to win, but don't pretend like the defense didn't play a hell of a game.

Thats based on a full season's games compare to the first 5

Oct 17, 2012, 11:52 AM [ in reply to It's not throwing them under the bus if its true ]

games of 2012...Lets compare apples for apples at the end of the year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thats based on a full season's games compare to the first 5

Oct 17, 2012, 11:54 AM

I agree. Let's start with a strong defensive effort Saturay. If that happens, I'll be excited and be more positive about the chances of winning out.

Wheedon, RGIII, etc. all gone. Just sour grapes***

Oct 17, 2012, 12:15 PM [ in reply to It's not throwing them under the bus if its true ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are 14th this season - at the same time last season BVs

Oct 17, 2012, 12:22 PM [ in reply to It's not throwing them under the bus if its true ]

Oklahoma defense was 22nd...so not a huge drop as you imply. They have the meat of their schedule coming up - their defensive numbers are about to change.

(Side note: Thru 5 games last year - BVs D had allowed fewer points than this years Oklahoma D )

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^the balls on this guy...

Oct 17, 2012, 1:46 PM

...to actually look something up himself.

ooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Oct 17, 2012, 1:05 PM [ in reply to It's not throwing them under the bus if its true ]

Teams aren't as good this year and their players have one more year of experience. Just guessin'.

And where does our D sit compared to last year?

Oct 18, 2012, 5:13 PM [ in reply to It's not throwing them under the bus if its true ]

Last numbers I saw had us giving up more yardage this year......

I see NO improvement....and I am sure DABO is paying attention.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

well they looked like crap against TAMU and that aint BV's

Jan 7, 2013, 12:17 PM [ in reply to It's not throwing them under the bus if its true ]

fault. Maybe their players just suck.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow. Are you confused or what???

Jan 7, 2013, 12:20 PM [ in reply to It's not throwing them under the bus if its true ]

Oklahoma went from 55th to 65th in total defense. I don;t know about you, but that doesn't classify as an "improvement".

I read that slightly different

Oct 17, 2012, 11:38 AM

He said that he " deosn't think that much has changed, slighly simpler. " the biggest statement is this..." , but for a lot of us, we’ve been around here for a while, so we know what we’re supposed to be doing.” Meaning they've grown and matured as players and know what to do now. I don't think that article was that harsh, nor was it meant to be.

Didn't really read anything terrible in that.

Oct 17, 2012, 11:53 AM

Actually didn't see anything bad about Venables.

Bottom line, BV was DC at Oklahoma for 12 years.

Oct 17, 2012, 11:58 AM

If he was not good he would have been fired long ago. If he had not accepted the position at Clemson this year he would still be the DC (or co DC) at Oklahoma right now.

Re: Bottom line, BV was DC at Oklahoma for 12 years.

Oct 17, 2012, 12:28 PM

This, plus Oklahoma offered to match Clemson for him to stay.

Re: Bottom line, BV was DC at Oklahoma for 12 years.

Oct 17, 2012, 12:54 PM

Anytime a school bad mouths a former coach , you can see the butt hurt for losing him .

I watched UTEP run up and down the field on Stoops D earlier this year .They were on Stoops after that game .

What point in trashing a coach , no need to trash Steele to anyone , they will find out soon .

Have to take these articles with a grain of salt

Oct 17, 2012, 12:39 PM

Everyone is out to get us, our recruits, including journalists

I don't know what this grain of salt thing is, unless you

Oct 17, 2012, 1:25 PM

misspelled "grade of slaw"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Writers' inability to create new topics in sports is

Oct 17, 2012, 2:13 PM

ridiculous. It's circuitous and kinda pathetic. I wish they would just have a code then a few quotes.

A15= there's a new player on campus coaches are cautiously optimistic about

L6= there were unseen problem with the last coach, but those problems don't exist with this one

so on...

Brent Venables

Oct 17, 2012, 3:01 PM

this is just my own input and meant to take it for what its worth.
When we hired Venables,like most. I thought it was a homerun hire.Possibly as good of a hire as Dabo could had made. Even though, I thought other changes should had been made on defense as well. But...upon hiring Venables,I thought we had a young,high energetic coach who could make an instant impact here at Clemson. As well as a great recruiter. With that said,most knew he had an uphill battle to climb getting Clemson's defense back to where everyone wants it to be, otherwise. Why would he be here, right. So I knew the defense wouldn't go from really bad, to great over night. But what I did expect from last year was gradual improvement in ALL areas. Andddd...unforunately, we haven't seen that.
While the defense HAS look "ok" at times. All in all, the defense isn't ANY better from 2011,not at all. In fact, at this moment, I would say the defense is worse than 2011.
By all accounts, I would not wanna define Venables's success at Clemson,or lack there of,from this 1 year. But as of right now, it does look like Dabo is going have to make some more minor staff changes to give Venables some help in the right places. Our defense looks totally lost and out of place,and alot of it to me looks coaching related.
Moving forward, Venables CAN be a good coach.But probably not under these conditions.
I'll say most of us are rooting hard for BV,but quite frankly...the JURY IS STILL OUT.

The Jury is not out. BV is a very good coach.

Oct 17, 2012, 3:45 PM

He's a proven coach. 12 years as DC at OU is pretty impressive. It's laughable that Clemson fans would question BV after six games.

You're right, the defense is not any better so far this year than last. What that tells me is the talent is not as good as we all thought it would be. Maybe Kevin Steele was not the main problem after all. With that said I'm glad a change was made and I am confident we will see defensive improvement under BV.

Re: The Jury is not out. BV is a very good coach.

Oct 17, 2012, 5:21 PM

I don't think they should have ever sent Vic Koenning on his way. Illinois went from avg. 351 yards a game on defense to 286 yards a game. Since his departure Clemson has found difficulties on defense. Just my opnion anyway.

Vic Keonning

Oct 17, 2012, 7:10 PM

with VK, I totally agree. He was indeed a very,very good
DC. But unforunately...him and Swinney didn't exactly see
eye to eye, and things didn't work out.Like you, I wished
he and Dabo could had patched things up.

VK wanted the HC job.....he wasn't staying otherwise***

Oct 18, 2012, 5:17 PM

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

In other news, Oklahoma continues to be classless

Oct 17, 2012, 3:53 PM

They've always been that way. Can't stand any of the Stoops brothers. If people are really that concerned over there maybe they should start looking a little higher to the top. Other than his NC which was now an eternity ago in the "what have you done for me lately" world of college football when is the last time Bob Stoops and his fearsome OU squad didn't choke in a big game that really mattered.

And a side note. People love to use the phrase pulling a Clemson, but it should be pulling an Oklahoma. Bob Stoops gets upset by unranked teams more than anybody in college football.

Re: In other news, Oklahoma continues to be classless

Oct 17, 2012, 7:46 PM

Has OU and Bob choked in big games....yes. As a Sooner fan its tough. Has OU lost a game that they should have won...again its tough. But I don't think Bob's 13 years in Norman has been a complete waste. He took over a program that was horrible in the 90's. Bob is 143-35, 7 conference titles, 1 national championship ( I know its been awhile), and has appeared in 3 other national title games (yes, all loses) Also, in Stoop's 13 seasons (including national title games) he has been in 8 BCS games. 8 out 13 isn't bad.

Kevin Steele 2.0***

Oct 17, 2012, 4:05 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Oklahoma continues to throw Venables under the bus

Oct 17, 2012, 7:30 PM

BV had some good years at OU...In other words to be the DC at one of the top programs in the country means he was doing something right. The last two years, the defense was beginning to struggle. I know a lot of people say "well they were facing some of the best offenses in the country" and that is true but the fact is that OU had the talent and the coaches to be one of the best defensive units in the country. It seems that players weren't ready and coaches was failing to make the adjustments that was needed. Although OU wanted BV to stay, I think a change was needed and that is why Mike Stoops was brought back to OU. As far as the article, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Re: Football Update: Oklahoma continues to throw Venables under the bus

Jan 7, 2013, 9:49 AM

BV is fixing our defense, it's just that simple. See the plays our guys made against LSU and tell me we are not making progress. We are getting there.

BV will be a great coach. Say what you want.

Jan 7, 2013, 11:44 AM

Ever thought maybe talent was lacking in a huge way?

The rabid monkey mike stoops did a terrible job..,.

Jan 7, 2013, 11:52 AM

In all 3 of their losses. BV on team with two losses, the rabid monkey on a team with 3 losses. BV > MS

OU Total Defense: 55th in 2011, and 65th in 2012. I'm not a

Jan 7, 2013, 12:22 PM

math major, but it seems that the "less complicated" defense went backwards, even with a bunch of returning starters. Poor Oklahoma.

Re: OU Total Defense: 55th in 2011, and 65th in 2012. I'm not a

Jan 7, 2013, 12:39 PM

What was BV's best defense ranked?

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic