Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OT: So can a 4WD Honda CRV tow a 17 foot Whaler ? .....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

OT: So can a 4WD Honda CRV tow a 17 foot Whaler ? .....

Apr 18, 2017, 9:43 PM

or a 15 foot one for that matter ? just curious , before I buy either one ....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. I used to have a 2007 Pontiac vibe.

Apr 18, 2017, 9:49 PM

And it would tow my 17 foot aluminum with wooden siding and 70hp motor.

Granted it was in the low country so all flat terrain . But got boat out of water on steep ramps just fine too.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes. I used to have a 2007 Pontiac vibe.

Apr 18, 2017, 9:55 PM

so was that a four cylinder ? do you remember the horsepower ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OT: So can a 4WD Honda CRV tow a 17 foot Whaler ? .....

Apr 18, 2017, 9:50 PM

No

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2017, 9:54 PM

you think not ?

YES...should

Apr 18, 2017, 9:57 PM

Back in 2004 my Miata 4 cyl convertie with 5 speed pulled a 14' B-W Jet easily at 70mph. Zoom!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Says it can tow 1500lbs. 17 footer weights 1650

Apr 18, 2017, 9:56 PM

So it would be close. Depends on the engine and gear I guess. But I'd say you would be ok. But I'm a risk taker...

http://www.mattcastruccihonda.com/blog/towing-a-trailer-with-a-honda-cr-v/

https://www.bostonwhaler.com/family-overview/montauk-boat-models/170-montauk/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whoops , I meant the 17 foot Whaler Sport .....

Apr 18, 2017, 10:01 PM

, which may or may not weigh a little less than the 17 foot motauk. I figured it would be close, though. hmmmmmmm.....

Re: Says it can tow 1500lbs. 17 footer weights 1650

Apr 19, 2017, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Says it can tow 1500lbs. 17 footer weights 1650 ]

I'm a risk taker too. The stuff I've pulled down the road behind my truck would amaze you. I've hauled tons of stuff that people said would never go. My dad is the opposite of me. I would never get stuff done or hauled off if I listened to him every time. I'm a hook it up and lets go kind of person. He's the "well, let's step back and talk about this for a min and let's not chance anything" kind of guy. I can't do it.

Apr 18, 2017, 9:58 PM

No. Your Honda towing capacity is 1,500 pounds. A 15-17 whaler dry weight is 1,400 pounds. That is too close to your max to be safe. 4WD does not increase towing capacity.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2017, 10:06 PM

You are correct. Many thinks it's just about pulling but it's about the stopping too. Never exceed the toe capacity or you will not be able to stop within a safe distance.

4WD might not increase capacity...

Apr 19, 2017, 7:51 AM [ in reply to Re: OT: So can a 4WD Honda CRV tow a 17 foot Whaler ? ..... ]

but it sure would make a difference on a slick boat ramp!

If you're the type to change vehicles every 5 years or so... you'll be fine, but if you want to run your vehicles till they die... might want to find a better tow capacity.

NO on the 17 -

Apr 18, 2017, 10:16 PM

be sure to add trailer weight to the capacity - you will blow the engine inside of 200 miles towing. Get a real truck...

Apr 18, 2017, 10:20 PM

I would think for short distances its fine but you would just need to drive cautiously and leave a lot of space in front of you.

Besides stopping distance your next concern should be extra strain on your transmission. If you accelerate slowly it should be fine, otherwise you'll be stressing it more than it's rated for.

I've seen plenty of cars (corolla, crown vic, mustang, etc) towing boats comparable to a 17 Whaler.

Or you can just get a Jon boat and be way under.

Apr 18, 2017, 10:20 PM

Why would you use your daughters car to pull your boat?

Apr 18, 2017, 10:41 PM

Any 17' Whaler probably no. The original 1977 or so until about 1997 15' Whaler most definitely as they only weighed about 350 pounds. With a 70 Yamaha they were scary rockets. The newer 15 Sports are great boats but dry hulls are about 900 pounds. You might need more vehicle for them...I have owned both...

Apr 19, 2017, 3:49 PM

Back in the 80's one of my friends had a summer lake house way up in Maine on lake. Incredible location.

One year his family invited me up to spend a few weeks with them.

Their ski and everything boat for the 'camp'? 15 ft Whaler with a 70 Johnson on the back.

Such a fun set up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks, everyone ! .....

Apr 18, 2017, 11:16 PM

thanks for the thoughts and opinions ..

Apr 18, 2017, 11:43 PM

It should without any problems. Just keep a safe distance when following someone, and don't over heat your brakes bc you are following to close. Remember your brakes were designed for the weight of your vehicle, and not for the weight of two.

https://www.google.com/#q=2013+honda+cr+v+towing+capacity

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would not pull a boat with a girl's car

Apr 19, 2017, 4:12 AM

someone might see you

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 19, 2017, 6:18 AM

Back in the day, I towed one with a VW Beetle.

Apr 19, 2017, 4:20 PM

You are talking way back in the day LOL!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 19, 2017, 7:37 AM

"TOWING A BOAT" IS A DIFFERENT THING FROM "PULLING A BOAT." IT WILL PROBABLY "PULL" THE BOAT UNLESS THERE IS A STEEP GRADE TO CLIMB FOR A LONG DISTANCE. THE PROBLEM IS THAT TO SAFELY TOW A TRAILER YOU NEED A VEHICLE WHICH WILL; #1:STOP THE TRAILER, #2:HAVE A SUSPENSION WHICH IS MADE FOR TOWING WHICH WILL HELP PREVENT JACK-KNIFING THE TRAILER WHEN YOU TRY TO SLOW DOWN ON WET ROADS OR GOING AROUND BIG BENDS WHILE DECELERATING- THIS IS WHEN THE TRAILER WILL START TO PUSH THE BACK END OF THE VEHICLE AROUND (ESPECIALLY A SHORT WHEELBASE VEHICLE.), #3:HAVE A TOWING CAPACITY RATING GREATER THAN THE TOWED TRAILER, #4:FOR LONG DISTANCE TOWING IT IS ALSO HELPFUL TO HAVE A TRANSMISSION COOLER ADDED TO KEEP YR TRANSMISSION FROM OVERHEATING. HOPE THIS HELPS BUT ALWAYS REMEMBER THIS BASIC RULE FOR ALL VEHICLES- IT IS ALWAYS MORE IMPORTANT TO BE ABLE TO STOP A VEHICLE THAN IT IS TO START A VEHICLE.

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Apr 19, 2017, 4:23 PM

Plus 1 to the last sentence!!!

ever think about stopping it?***

Apr 19, 2017, 8:27 AM

NO

Apr 19, 2017, 2:48 PM

Seriously, NO.

If you're using "boat" and "CRV" in the same sentence, you better be talking about a canoe.

A 17' Whaler towed by a "family vehicle"? If you're dedicated to the Honda brand, a family vehicle, and good mpgs, I recommend stepping up to a Honda Pilot. Its the same engine as the Honda Ridgeline. It has the right amount of power, braking performance, and frame/tongue strength to tow that boat. A CRV does not.

Or a Toyota 4runner/Highlander also works.

I say go for it, but please record for science***

Apr 19, 2017, 3:06 PM

Snowflake Basher........Out

Just get you a newer diesel jeep grand cherokee

Apr 19, 2017, 3:08 PM

7200lb max towing on the 4WD version.

Got the wife one when they first came out a few years ago and it was a beast when it was running right. Unfortunately, we got one that kept having trouble. Even though I've heard/read that most have been great.

Her and I both still miss that Jeep.

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: Just get you a newer diesel jeep grand cherokee

Apr 19, 2017, 6:38 PM

EPA has a hold on the Jeep and RAM Eco-diesel. The 2017s have been on hold since late summer. Maybe you can find a late model used.

Do not buy a CR-V to tow anything over 1200 pounds

Apr 19, 2017, 3:30 PM

Towing max capacity is just that, maximum you should ever pull. It should not be done often but on occasion is fine. Also consider weight of products on boat, in CR-V, which can often weigh more than you would think. Coolers/fish tank/trolling motors/life preservers/fishing poles/tackle box/boxes.

Just be safe and think long term, CR-V may not be the best choice.

Apr 19, 2017, 6:35 PM

Once or twice maybe. You should check the towing capacity of the vehicle too. Also keep in mind that many of the small SUVs are utilizing a small auto drive train. I would be concerned with long term impact on the tranny. These small auto trannys just don't hold up under loads. You might do better with a larger SUV or a truck. Just my opinion.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic