Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OT: Buying a new Toyota
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

OT: Buying a new Toyota

Aug 22, 2012, 11:35 AM

Have decided to buy a new vehicle and picked the Toyota Sequoia.

Have read a few things and came across someone stating that it would be cheaper to purchase the vehicle in TX and drive it back to SC (worth paying the flight and gas back) and would still come out better than just purchasing in SC.

Anyone know of this or have any details on this?

Any info would be appreciated.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess that depends on how much you save, and how much your

Aug 22, 2012, 11:42 AM

time is worth. Unless you are going to Texas anyway, but who wants to leave South Carolina?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: I guess that depends on how much you save, and how much your

Aug 22, 2012, 11:47 AM

you have to watch the sales tax. you can end up owing in both if there isn't a reciprocal agreement between the states

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who wants to leave South Carolina?????

Aug 22, 2012, 12:26 PM [ in reply to I guess that depends on how much you save, and how much your ]

Anybody that SOS has pulled their scholly from, that's who.

Re: Who wants to leave South Carolina?????

Aug 22, 2012, 12:31 PM

as long as you DON'T buy it from toyota of easley!!! DO NOT

Aug 22, 2012, 11:47 AM

believe the commercials--they employ very high pressure tactics and show NO respect for the customer---they are pimps!!

Call the regional sales director. There's always someone

Aug 22, 2012, 11:54 AM

the dealerships have to answer to about 'situations'. Toyota doesn't like bad press.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OT: Buying a new Toyota

Aug 22, 2012, 11:50 AM

just out of curiosity why not an expedition or tahoe?

Aug 22, 2012, 12:08 PM

We actually drove all the bigger SUV's. We've always bought GM products but didn't like how the seats folded down on the 3rd row of the Tahoe/Yukon. They don't fold down flat like the Sequoia/Expedition and take up much more space so you basically have to take the seats out completly to maximize the space and my wife doesn't want to mess with that.

Regarding the expedition, it actually finished runner up but we've heard more bad things about that one when compared to the Sequoia and just thought the Sequoia was a little nicer....

Aug 22, 2012, 12:14 PM

I hear ya. I've been a ford truck/suv person since they finally got their act together in the late 90's. we(myself and family) have new f-150, 250, and expeditions and love them all. also, havent had any issues.

Aug 22, 2012, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: OT: Buying a new Toyota ]

I bought a 2004 Tahoe LT new,2nd and 3rd row bench. Most comfortable SUV I have ever ridden in(2nd only to my wife's '94 Sedan De Ville).
Son has a 2008 Sequoia, 2nd row captains 3rd row bench. I am older guy, but never had any trouble taking out third row for additional storage.
My $$$ on Tahoe next time around.

why would they be that much cheaper in Texas??***

Aug 22, 2012, 11:59 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: why would they be that much cheaper in Texas??***

Aug 22, 2012, 12:01 PM

not sure...I have a buddy that lives in texas that was asking me about my thoughts on a full size suv and i pointed out the sequoia and apparently in san antonio they start at about 10k more than the tahoe.

Aug 22, 2012, 12:01 PM [ in reply to why would they be that much cheaper in Texas??*** ]

They are made in good ole USofA so be careful! Sequois aren't Japanese so they will probably have the UAW influence.

Aug 22, 2012, 12:11 PM [ in reply to why would they be that much cheaper in Texas??*** ]

That is what i'm trying to figure out. I've just heard that it is.

I actually did go to the Toyota Website and priced out a generic Sequoia with my local SC Zip and then did the same thing using a Houston (randomly picked) zip and sure enough the MSRP on basically the same models was about $4-$5K less.

If that is indeed the case it might be worth it to pay the flight out there and gas back to save a couple thousand bucks.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this.

fyi, no one ever pays MSRP, i can get you a deal closer

Aug 22, 2012, 12:15 PM

to invoice at Toyota of Easley.

"Very, Very Excited, Very, Very Proud" to be a TIGER!!

don't you still have to pay SC sales tax?***

Aug 22, 2012, 12:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: don't you still have to pay SC sales tax?***

Aug 22, 2012, 12:15 PM

Yes, you will have to pay S.C. tax on the car when you get a state plate. It would probably take $1000.00 worth of gas to drive a Sequoia back to South Carolina!!!! I have a friend who bought one and she got about 11 mpg.

Re: don't you still have to pay SC sales tax?***

Aug 22, 2012, 1:47 PM

You have to pay to register it in SC. You pay sales tax where you buy the car.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Aug 22, 2012, 12:18 PM

My wife and I lived in Houston/Galveston for a year and bought an Accord at Honda of Galveston. They recommended we register it in SC because the max sales tax in SC is $300 so we used her mom's address on the registration. As for the car itself, I think they are slightly cheaper in TX.

Aug 22, 2012, 12:20 PM

is this not somehow tax fraud?(serious question)

Aug 22, 2012, 12:22 PM

I don't know, but we moved back to SC within a few months so it worked out fine plus we were young and heck they're the ones that recommended it.

Aug 22, 2012, 12:34 PM

You wouldn't be able to do that now unless you registered the car in her name. The documentation required increased last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2012, 12:38 PM

Yes it was registered in her name and are y'all seriously giving me crap for something that happened 10 yrs ago. All I did was answer a question from a fellow Tiger because I had a relatable situation. I didn't know the IRS was bugging TNET ;)

Re: OT: Buying a new Toyota- state sales tax issue

Aug 22, 2012, 12:59 PM

not IRS. Unless there is a reciprocal agreement between the state and when you take the vehicle. They can go back 6 months to a year. I'd check with someone who knows

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OT: Use the internet and you can get a price from any

Aug 22, 2012, 12:43 PM

dealer. Make and offer. You will soon find out who is talking crap.

Aug 22, 2012, 1:12 PM

Go to www.kbb.com and check new car prices under what should I pay for a new car. There is a fair price listed. Galveston, Tx and Columbia, SC are only about 100$ diff. My wife took the fair value in when she bought her Camry and the fair trade in value for her minivan. Fair value on the Camry from KBB was less than MSRP. She asked for that price on the Camry and the trade in on her van. They took the offer and she was in and out quickly. Easiest trade ever.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

^^^Look at me, I've got $60,000 to blow on a car!!!^^^***

Aug 22, 2012, 1:29 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^^Look at me, I've got $60,000 to blow on a car!!!^^^***

Aug 22, 2012, 2:18 PM

And your point is.......

Aug 22, 2012, 1:36 PM

Check out www.jimbarkleytoyota.com. They are in Asheville.

I lived in Atlanta for years and wanted a Tundra. I couldn't get a dealer in Atlanta to budge. Found Jim's site and he posts his pricing online. His pricing was several thousand dollars better than I could find in Atlanta and there was no haggling to get there. Drove up and had a new truck in about 30 minutes. Super easy transaction without all the games and junk you normally get. Nice people. Pricing was exactly as stated and a very fair deal and a terrific buying experience. My Dad bought a car over there a few years back (drove over from Nashville, TN) and had the same experience. They are highly recommended from my limited personal experience.

Email dealers in your area and in Texas

Aug 22, 2012, 1:37 PM

Let them all see who is in the "sent" line. Tell them what you want (i.e. 4x4, power windows, navigation, color, leather, etc) Then get them in a bidding war with each other. All the while they/you are doing this via email and you don't have to talk to car salesmen. . . sorry, but I don't care for car salesmen. Good luck and congrats; The Toyota Sequoia is a nice vehicle and doesn't give lots of repair trouble. I know this, own a repair shop, hardly ever see them in here for anything other than maint.

Aug 22, 2012, 1:42 PM

I bought a 4runner in Texas and had it shipped to Atlanta. It cost $500 to ship, and they deliver it to your door. Worth it to ship vs flying and paying for gas for the drive.

Aug 22, 2012, 2:16 PM

How did you pick a dealer in TX? I'm assuming that if you did that, they are cheaper there for some reason?

Aug 22, 2012, 2:50 PM

Did a lot of online shopping. The car was significantly cheaper than comparable ones in GA. Don't know if it's a rule of thumb that cars are cheaper in TX, or if I just found a good deal. It was definitely worth the $500 shipping fee. Would try and go with a reputable dealer (like any Toyota shop).

Off one year lease...

Aug 22, 2012, 3:20 PM

I bought a Highlander from Manassas, VA a few years back that had just come off a one year lease. The car company paid the air fare. I flew up and drove back. Got a great deal on a low mile car and paid sales tax in SC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Smart Man

Aug 22, 2012, 3:14 PM

You have made a good choice, my friend. I have two Toyota trucks (an 89 and a 96) and both have in excess of a quarter of a million miles on them. I completely trust them both and would drive either across the country tomorrow with no preparation.

Re: Smart Man

Aug 22, 2012, 8:46 PM

I bet that both of those were NOT made in America! I have a 96 nissan 240sx that is a perfect car but it came from the orient!

I'm guessing has something to do with Southeast Toyota....

Aug 22, 2012, 10:11 PM

Distributors and their crazy add-ons/mark-ups.

Southeast Toyota is the largest Toyota distributor and they flex their muscle big time.

Maybe he Toyota distributor that covers Texas has more aggressive pricing.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic